1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haden expected to sign 3 year / 27 million

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RPO IZSB, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    I know this is coming from fans of a team 1-15 season but, they are very pleased Haden is gone and laughing that, the Steelers have signed him. All their talk is he was over the hill a couple of years ago and is not the same players is reputation once gleamed. If true, I hope he turns it around and proves them all they lost a quality player.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If he gives Deebo the extra two and a half seconds he needs to get the QB then the 3 mill price tag this year is worth it.. If he can stay in the hip pocket of the middle of the road guys he will be facing on most teams, it is a steal. If he can help the young guys gain a better understanding of man coverage in relation to their zone coverage and how to communicate out there, it is worth its weight in gold and finally if he gives Tom Brady pause just ever so slightly before he throws it on those quick slants it is sauce for the goods. Some of you guys are acting like he is Brian Allen and just learning to play CB

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Anybody else still extremely surprised by this move? This is not the Steelers m.o. I can't remember the last time they signed a big name player like this so close to the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    They are all in for 2017.

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Just goes to show the FO is heeding Ben's comments on retirement imo

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Bgunn

Bgunn Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    It surprised me too but I get the feeling that the Steelers are all end this season as their best chance to win a SB. With Ben hinting retirement and Bell's contract issues, there might be rough roads ahead. If the defense can improve and the team stay healthy, this could be a very magical year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Ben retiring is a far bigger issue than Bell. This team has a ton of talent on the offensive side of the ball and I really like what I'm seeing out of Connor so far. Bell is a special player, but he's not the driving force of this offense, Ben is. Last year when Ben went down and the team still had Bell, they stunk on ice, yet without Bell they're able to win.

I like this move and hope he can get onboard and learn the playbook quickly so he can make an impact. Don't think for a second he hasn't read the negative talk about him out of Cleveland and that can be a HUGE motivator for players.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. stompin69

stompin69 Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Hey everybody I'm from the Cleveland area and a lifelong Steeler Fan!!! I have seen this guy more than I would like to already, and not because I think he is great. He holds almost every play, and was surprised every time he was praised in a game or newspaper. If you look him up on nflpenalties.com you can see how many there are. Mostly before he got hurt the last two years, 2014 2013. Hey I am hopeful but not optimistic!

9. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Pro Football Focus: "Last season, Haden was targeted 30 times in zone coverage, allowed 15 receptions, logged all three of his interceptions, and allowed a passer rating of just 63.5, the 13th best mark among 73 corners with at least 25 targets in zone coverage."

• Like Like x 1
  10. Harryo the K

Harryo the K Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    If he had offset language, Steelers might owe full $7 million.

If not, the Browns owe him $4 million, Steelers $3 million.

Very good DB when healthy.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I just looked and the most he had was in 2014 with 9. Burns had 12 and 3rd most last year. I'm also noticing all the top DBs are at the top.. Peterson, Norman, Browner, Talib, etc :shrug:

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    How would Browns fans know anything about good football players? They have seen so few since the expansion team arrived.

Another poster already mentioned this, but I also don't understand why Gay wouldn't be the one to go to make room for Haden. I guess it depends how many cornerbacks they keep, five or six. It could be Haden, Burns, Sutton, Cockrell, Sensebaugh and Allen.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I just want to take a moment to say that skills aside ... Joe Haden is a an A-1 stand up dude. He was heavily involved in the Cleveland community and I'm sure he will do the same in Pitt. If anything the locker room will be stronger by just having this guy around.

I don't know why people are saying Gay has to go... Cockrell has sort of regressed, plus last year he started getting "Cocky" (see what I did there) and drew some unnecessary penalties. Gay is older, but not old enough that he has to go.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  14. stompin69

stompin69 Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Peterson losing team, Browner 2015 losing team, Norman 8-7-1 3rd place team, Talib 9-7 3rd place team, Burns ( rookie ). Haden well he played for Brownies, and Like I said I am hopeful that he can be the guy that makes Burns develop and help force Brady to hold the ball one more second!!!!

15. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    #7 doesn't happen without both Ben and Bell.

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Great move as we have failed to draft top tier CB'S it is past time to take a chance on a quality FA to see if he is healthy. I am with Ike and consider Joe to be top CB talent if Healthy . Now I think they should go get Revis as well as he has been reported as playing hurt as well.

These guys now how to play man that is a huge plus because the staff finally realized we have to play more of it.

Great job finally , now call Revis and keep on going .

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    from Coach Hue Jackson:

"a huge piece of what we do on defense,'' and made it clear early in camp that Haden was poised to rebound from his groin injuries in 2017."

"Watching Joe Haden compete and play and tackle and break up passes, looked like the old Joe to me...''

18. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm not sure what browns site you go to. But the one i frequent they are about 75% not happy about not only getting nothing but having to watch him in a steeler uni. The other 25% are the usual doom and gloom. I never liked him anyway. Always over rated. Kizer now has a target on every 3rd down group

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Does this affect the ability to extend Tuitt? Suggestion in Trib that it'll make it very difficult without vet cuts.

20. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Steelers signed a TE and 2 CBs within 10 days. Way to be aggressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    A safety. I want a goddam safety.

22. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I want the truth!!!!!

[​IMG]

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i do still want a safety. :cool:

24. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Mary Kay Cabot slammed the Browns for allowing Haden to become a Steeler.

My favorite point was that they were willing to pay Osweiler 16 million to sit on the bench but wouldnt pay their Pro bowl CB 11.

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Put me down for a safety as well. He doesn't need to be a starter, but I would really like to see someone more capable than Golden as the first one off the bench or as the big nickel.