1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sensabaugh getting first team reps over Cockrell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dd63, Aug 23, 2017.

1. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    As per Cris Adamski's tweet.

Also an unconfirmed rumor that Hilton was getting first team reps, I assume over Gay.

Have at it guys.

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    See how it plays out. I'm all for the best man to play.

I think any overreactions to the 2 plays he gave up on Sunday are just that. Cockrell is like a Punter. You only hear his name mentioned when he really screws up big.

I'm not saying Cockrell is an exceptional CB but I don't think he's a bad one either. He (and the scheme) shut down some big name WRs last year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. BigD43

BigD43 Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Anyone know how well he did against Brown?

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm a Cockrell fan and have been since his signing, but this is a good thing. Let the competition begin. Cockrell needs to sharpen some of the tools in his repertoire and this might be an eye opener. He is a heady player, I doubt he stays down for long.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. swann_88

swann_88 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Gay is apparently the emergency safety and was getting reps there

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    I like the competition, hopefully will make these guys better.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    2 of the recent CBs drafted Golson and Sutton are nowhere to be found :facepalm:, these other scrub CBs are getting first team reps.

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Lets not put Sutton into Golson's paper mache club just yet... It doesn't look good now but I'll reserve judgement on #20. I think he can make a difference down the road...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    at least they are trying to do something, and they are seeing what some of us are seeing. Just a little late for me, it seems they have to tryout 10 secondary people to get 2 or 3 that work.

10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with this, I like Cockrell during his draft year and wanted him. Now that he is here I am excited but if he isn't the best guy there than I don't want him. He has had ups and downs but who hasn't? I think this will be a little "wake up call" for him and he shows what he has from here on out. Either way IMO this is good for us.....I hope!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    are there any good corners anywhere lol

12. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    never been myself but sounds good

upload_2017-8-24_9-43-31.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    It has been a while, huh?

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Less and less, man, less and less.

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ross can not play man he has always needed help to play CB . I watched him get turned around way to many times last season . I never really explained it ,but getting turned around as a CB is simply opening up the wrong way and having to open up again the other way to get back into the pocket.

This can be done and got away with if there is help over the top to slow the route runner to allow him time to get back in the pocket . When this occurs with no help the route runner will simply run away from him .

This is why Ross gets toasted in man coverage and always will.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Here is hoping Cam Sutton can play, and take over the other cb spot and Sensabaugh can play nickel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i do think we have some better talent this year but they are young and we need the staff to put it all together. cam is far behind and so is mitchell at this point. dixon, phillips, hilton, allen, sutton are guys they need to work with heavily the next couple of weeks. it's not going to be perfect but we need to get them mixed in with some of the first unit to get a glimps of what we can salvage. who has the upside? who can move around?

use that PS to keep some talent even if its heavily DB's at this point for cohesion going forward. figure there are still going to be growing pains. sometimes you just got to let them play and not expect perfection. sometimes butler keeps players down because of mistakes here and there way too much. it's not a vet group and we can't just keep vets because they are vets. :cool:

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  20. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I want Cocrkrell and Gay to both stay even if they are not starters but, think the team will make the best choice

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Steeler Depot:
    The Steelers didn’t make their big free agent splash at cornerback that so many people were expecting and hoping they would, but they did at least add a player in Coty Sensabaugh who offers depth and versatility as an option at the position who can play either on the outside or in the slot.

Kind of sounds like William Gay in terms of the tools he brings to the position group, doesn’t it? In Alex’ breakdown of the signing, he even made the same comparison. That’s not to say that Sensabaugh is intended to be a one-for-one exchange for Gay, but one can easily wonder if the group’s crowding post-draft could be an issue for the veteran, whom many feel the coaching staff is looking to replace.

22. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Help over the top does absolutely nothing to slow the route runner... you literally just make up nonsense and think no one will notice.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    to be honest, i'd keep gay and his knowledge over one of the safeties at this point. he can help ease that communication trouble when we play the dime at least and with our lack of safety depth we could see a lot more of that look. mitchell, davis, burns, sensabaugh (cockrell), gay, hilton (sutton), shazier, watt, dupree, tuitt, heyward. :cool:

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Something in this series made me think of the Bickersons :huh:

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He was terrible in the AFCC game, after the steelers hid him in the slot during the season, he needs to go:

By John Porrotto:

William Gay, CB

Gay was moved inside to slot corner midway through last season for a variety of reasons.

For one, the Steelers decided rookie Sean Davis fit better at strong safety than slot corner. Secondly, first-round draft pick Artie Burns showed he was ready to move into the starting lineup after missing the preseason with injuries.

Lastly, and most importantly, Gay had lost a step as the wear and tear of playing in 160 consecutive games, the longest active streak among NFL cornerbacks, may have finally gotten to him.

The Steelers hid Gay for a while in the slot but he was exposed late in the season, especially in the AFC title game when Tom Brady picked on him throughout.

Gay, 32, will be challenged for his starting job during training camp by veteran free agent Coty Sensabaugh and third-round draft pick Cameron Sutton of Tennessee.