1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A young Big Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    That's what Jag fan was hoping for in Bortels. Other than looking a little like Ben, there are no other similarities. Jags haven't found a decent QB since Brunell. It's brutal. Only 19% of fans thought Bortels would last all season and that was BEFORE last night's debacle. Even his own teammates are turning on him. We are so very lucky to have Ben; finding QBs that good is very difficult.

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Bort les confidence is completely shot. There's some talent there. He needs to get out of Jacksonville and into a new system and organization.

A good example of why I detest QB comparisons of QB draft picks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I might be alone here, but I'd be all for having bortles in here behind Ben. The right atmosphere and coaching can turn the kid around. Nevertheless, ain't gonna happen but I've said it in the past and I stand by it. He would've looked good one day in black and gold

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He's in a bad system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I personally detest all forms of comparisons personally; Quarterbacks or otherwise.

My most hated to date is the Jamal Adams/Troy Polamalu one. Troy's instincts were, still and will always be unparalleled in my opinion. For someone to have those instincts the exact same vein as Troys is something I find insulting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Good news is they play us this year lol

Bortels looks to me at least waaaay more then " a little like ben"

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree mostly. I wouldn't mind seeing Bortles brought in as a backup. Him and Ben have some history with Ben helping him out pre-draft IIRC. I'd be on board if we knew Ben was going to be here for 2-3 more years. Then he could really soak some of that info in. Ben hasn't been making the Eli and Aaron "I'll play til I'm 40 talk" as we all well know. If they brought Bortles in this year, I wouldn't mind, its just I would hope they got him on the cheap. Just so he wouldn't have to be thrust into the starting role next year if Ben retires. But on the other hand, maybe a 1 year sit would be just the right amount of time?? Who knows really:lolol:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    okay, but Bortles was never as good as Ben, very poor accuracy and has a horrible hitch in throwing almost as bad as Leftwhich, which telegraphs his passes and makes them easy to read then interceptions happen. He would get bood very quickly in our stadium.

9. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I'd like to see what he can do outside of that horrible team he's on. It has to have an effect on you.

10. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    No.

Bortles is the king of the Garbage time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Actually now Bortles is the weakest part of the team.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    He's garbage. The people are ready to march with pitchforks and torches down here. His quirky delivery seems impossible to fix. He might _look_ like Ben but he comes no where close to playing like him. I really think the 3rd stringer is the best QB they have.

13. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Without a doubt. Fournette is going to be good. Their WRs are not bad. OL is not great. D is stockpiling a lot of talent. I think the entire team is in a funk because no one believes they have a QB they can win with. They should just ship him out of here but no one would accept his salary so no trade can happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would like to see what a competent QB coach /trainer might do for him. He looks defeated and lacking of confidence.

I am not that familiar with the situation down in Jville, does he have a passion for the game?

15. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    So given our propensity to play down to competition and if he is still the starter, he'll look like Joe Montana that game.

16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    No, word is he parties a lot.

17. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    So he IS like Ben? That was definitely the word last year, not sure if he is still the party boy. I can't imagine he is very popular at this point. They were ready to lynch him BEFORE last terrible game. It feels like it's over for him down here, even though they picked up his huge last extension.

18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    He might be like Ben as far as partying when Ben was younger, but Ben was always a much better football player and had the it factor. Dosent seem Bortles ever had it and only seems like he is getting worse. He should of fixed the crazy hitch he has in his throwing motion.

19. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I don't know if he will be playing - even week 1 - but whoever does will probably look like Marino vs. us.

20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Maybe some bar hopping in milledgeville would help his game. Just watch out for mysterious genital tears.

21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Is this an offbeat Crying Game reference? :shrug:

22. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    It's funny you mention that. I have heard some "experts" (former NFL QBs, coaches) say it is a myth that anyone "fixes" their throwing motion - they say by the time they are even in college, their throwing motion "is what it is" and you have to live with it. Others (especially those who make a living off of coaching QBs) claim a throwing motion can be changed. I tend to lean towards the "it is what it is" thinking on this. Leftwich had a zany motion, and I never saw it improve in his entire NFL career. He had a windmill windup his entire career, including his time in Pit.

I think Bortles is toast. He has that hitch in his throwing motion that gives defenders that split second head start to getting to the ball, ending up loads of pick 6's. I think the Jags had enough times seeing Ben pull a game out of thin air to beat them. They were hoping Blake was similar. Truth is, he never was. Ben's skills are much more than being big and strong....he has the "wiring" to know when to do what. You can't really teach that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    yea and now Leftwich is the QB coach for Arizona, crazy as that sounds.

Mahomes has a weird hitch but he is doing his thing in KC pretty well, for the 1st 2 preseason games anyway....I would probably be in that "it is what it is" camp as well.

24. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    If this is Bortles last year as a Jag and if Ben comes back next year, I wouldn't mind if we picked up Bortles for him to sit behind Ben for at least one season. Pretty far fetched, though, if you ask me.

25. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    i almost think I would rather have Landry Jones then Bortles, and thats saying a lot for me, cause I think Landry is below average QB.