1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Week 1 Preseason 53

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RPO IZSB, Aug 14, 2017.

1. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    QB (3): Ben, Landy, Dobbs
    - Nothing to see here

RB (4): Bell, Conner, Watson, Nix (FB)
    - First big change. Knile Davis sucks and Toussaint has never shown more than a replacement level player... Davis has always sucked as a RB, and he showed nothing in the return game. Watson on the other hand can fill a role. He has power to spare, and good downhill vision. Unfortunately, Watson will likely hit the PS while we keep a useless RB like Davis or Toussaint.

WR (6): AB, Bryant, JuJu, Hunter, Rogers + 1 (Im not ready to pencil in a DHB replacement yet)
    Locks: AB, Bryant, JuJu are the locks
    WR Battle: Hunter vs Coates vs Rogers vs Cobi
    2 of these guys make it if DHB make it no matter what
    3 of these guys make it if DHB gets cut
    S/T Battle: DHB vs Hilton
    - The most underrated camp battle... I've had DHB in my 53 man roster all offseason... until I got a taste of Hilton vs the Giants. With our WR depth, I don't know if DHB can make the roster if Hilton can take over his gunner roles on S/T, and provide us more depth at DB where we need it.... or maybe they both make it and gun both sides, in which case Coates is out.

TE (3): James, Johnson, Grimble
    They are all but locked in, but I've liked Jake McGee for awhile (see my 2016 steelers mock). I don't think he makes the 53 out of camp, but he should be our PS TE.

OL (8): Al, Foster, Pouncey, Decastro, Gilbert, Hubbard, Finney, Hawkins
    The Starting 5 and 3 backups are pretty much locks. Hubbard is a lock. Finney and Hawkins is are near locks. More interesting will be the PS battles... there's just not a lot of talent there. I think Mihalik gets another go on the PS... but did anyone else really show us anything on Friday? I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring in some new bodies.

24 Offense

DL (6): Heyward, Hargrave, Tuitt, Alualu, Walton, Maxey
    Starting 3 + Alualu are locks. Walton is pretty safe. Looks like the final decision will be between Big Useless and more versatile guys like Maxey or Philon.

ILB (4): Shazier, Vince, Matakevic, Fort
    3 Locks (Shazier, Vince, and Red). Fort vs Johnson for 1 spot. I take Fort. Kelsey making a play for PS spot

OLB (5): Dupree, TJ, Harrison, Moats, Chickillo
    I had written Moats off... oops. We're gonna keep 5 Edge Rushers this year. TJ, Dupree, Harrison, Moats, Chickillo

CB (6): Burns, Cockrell, Gay, Sutton, Sensabaugh, Hilton
    The first 4 are locks.... although, one could argue that Gay is being challenged. Sensabaugh is versatile and experienced, making him near a lock. and Yes.... Hilton is on the 53. Allen goes to PS.

S (4): Mitchell, Davis, R.Golden, Dangerfield
    The first 3 are locks, Dangerfield has the edge for the last spot.... But that spot is wide open.

Leaves one additional spot open.... they could go with a 5th ILB, or they could let one of the deeper position battles extend in to the season (an 11th DB or a 7th WR?)

2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    IMHO, past Red, depth is weak at ILB. Do you think any of the OLB except Dupree, Watt, & JH92 could back up both OLB and ILB? If so, maybe that gives them the edge.

As for Toussaint, there obviously was a reason they went with him as a backup last year. So I feel that weighs heavier than this last preseason game. Same with DHB, I feel for either to lose their spot on the 53, their replacement needs to obviously stand out. Be nice to see Watson get first team carries.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    johnson quietly had a good game the other night. i think he and fort make it. with shaziers history we keep 5 ilb'ers. fort, red and johnson are all good ST'ers.

if there was a guy on the o-line that has been steady and gotten better each year it's feiler. he's been pretty solid in preseason games and camp. another year on the PS for him. G-T position flexible.

i also think they like allen and we will have to monitor his progress the rest of camp. i'm still waiting to see he or hilton tried at safety at some point.:cool:

4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I don't see them keeping 5 ILB and Red the s a lock to make it at his point.

5. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I like your RB lineup ...... I like Watson but think the Steelers will go with the vet Davis.....

I'm also cutting Hooks and keeping Maxey so no issues here either ...

Still going with Hilton!!!!! Sensabaugh is in and Allen out.... I'd Sutton doesn't hurry up and get back he may be in danger of IR

Still think Coates makes it.

K. Adams has to show something vs Atlanta or he won't make it. Moats saved his roster spot for another year.

Steven Johnson will be a difficult cut.

Cajun

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I like it and I'd like to add a little outside the box thinking....you say we have one spot open and I like the idea of maybe using it for our deep CB and WR pool....I'm probably the only one left holding out hope for Golson( I'm a glutton for punishment). I'd like to see him get another chance once he gets on the field.....which brings me to this. Why don't we dress just two RBs(Bell and Conner) also keeping Nix at FB but use that spot as well to keep the extra CB or WR....it looks like early they may be using JJSS in and around the backfield. Like you said Davis and Toussaint are pretty lousy ....so why waste the spot? Bell and Conner can more than handle the load and keep Watson handy on the PS.....never happen I know but I would hate to lose a " talented" player for a so so player just because we feel a need to dress three RBs....
    It will be a healthy dose of Bell and lots of passing anyway so why three RBs....jmho....

7. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I'm worried about ILB depth, ONLY, as it relates to Shazier's role in the playbook. So with that in mind, any competency an edge rusher might have to play inside won't stack up to Shazier's role, so it's... irrelevant. I think Fort is the most athletic of the group of backups, so he sticks since in theory, he'll be the most equipped to replicate playcalls in Shazier's place.

No one was brought in to really compete with Touissant last year. With Bell and DeAngelo there wasn't too much need.but this year we signed Davis, drafted Connor, and brought in Watson... says a lot about Touissant.

I agree on DHB, it's going to take a WR showing route/position versatility at WR (juju, Coates, hunter, cobi) combined with someone beating him out of his gunner roles on special teams (Hilton, Coates)

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ayers? relieve AB from punt return duties. I also think Steve Johnson makes it.

I am concerned with our RB depth, can we resign DW back again? Would like to see steelers

make an out of the box move for a quality FS.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    cobi played gunner the whole game and did well. just saying. :cool:

10. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Agree. Cobi did nothing but help himself in competing for one of those final Roster spots

11. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I'm not that interested in relieving AB of punt return duties...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    note, Feiler no longer has PS eligibility

13. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    sorry to hear that. i thought he had 1 more. thanks for the heads up rpo and clive. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Yep, and even though the steelers like Hawkins what if he continues to struggle and Feiler gets better each week..... Could the unthinkable happen?

Cajun

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I assume if someone better came along you would be okie dokie?

17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I am sure you would sing a different tune if our HOF WR got hurt playing special teams.

He is much too valuable to our offense to be playing special teams now. Especially when we have capable

people to do the job.

18. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Yes, but that's very unlikely. AB is one of the best in the league.

19. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    He's far far far more likely to be injured going over the middle... should we cut those routes out of his playbook for fear of injury? Of course not...

20. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Looks good. Two thoughts.

I like DHB more than most but we can't keep him. I'll be upset if we lose any of Ayers/Hamilton/Coates/Hunter to keep DHB.

Never understood the thought that Moats was out of here. Good guy, good player, good contact. Loved that signing.

21. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Why increase the risk/ reward of a HOF at this point in his career.

22. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Yes, we will since you seem married to the myth of some measurable increase in injury risk. But you are right about one thing... I do want to increase the reward (winning football games). In the words of one of the league's best coaches, "we don't live in our fears".

Antonio Brown is one of the best punt returners in the league.