1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cajuns precamp 53 man Roster Prediction

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jul 27, 2017.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    OFFENSE:

QB-
    Big Ben
    Landry
    Dobbs

RB-
    Bell
    Conner
    Knife Davis

FB-
    Nix
    FB/TE
    David Johnson

TE-
    James
    Grimble

WR-
    Brown, Bryant, Coates, JuJu, Hunter, Eli Rodgers

OL-
    Big Al, Foster, Pouncey, Finney, Gilbert, Hubbard, Hawkins, DeCastro

Offense thoughts- not a fan of Knile Davis, maybe Watson or Fitz beats him out.

DEFENSE:

DL-
    Heyward, Hargrave, Tuitt, Tyson Alualu, Hooks, Walton

OLB- Dupree, Deebo, Watt,
    Moats, Chickillo

ILB-
    Shazier, Vince Williams, Steve Johnson, Dirty Red, Fort

CB-
    Burns, Cockrell, Gay, Sutton, Brian Allen, Mike Hilton

S-
    Mitchell, Sean Davis, Daimion Stafford, Dangerfield

ST- Boswell-Berry- Holba

Defense thoughts: keeping Moats over Adams was tough but he is game ready over Adams right now. Golson is gone, Gays last year and Hilton surprises !!
    Stafford replaces Golden

PS: Keion Adams, Mike Mathews, Terrell Watson, Ayers, Orndoff, Odim Phazahn, Maxey, Jacob Hagen, Brian Mihalik, Matt Galambas

Cajun

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bouchette is reporting that Coates will likely start the season on the PUP. So hopefully Ayers gets a crack at the 53.

Brian Allen is going to have to be a ST demon to make the team out of camp.

I think Golson makes it as long as he stays healthy.

Do they ever carry 4 RB's? They don't usually cut their FA signings, so probably will have to carry 4 if Fitz is to make it.

Rest looks pretty good.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    moats which doesn't play ST's, chickillo which does, and adams which we don't know yet will be a battle i believe. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Ayers Battle is with Rodgers.... He has a chance to beat him, should be a good competition there!!!

I really think Allen will make the 53, mainly on ST . I just don't see Golson making it. He's going on Three yrs since he last played football or even practiced well!! Don't know much about Mike Hilton but here good things !!!

Cajun

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    More intriguied to see if Brian Allen can crack the final 53. Mike Hilton will have to flash like crazy to get in and why is Coates ahead of JuJu.

As I have said before, corners with Allen's athletic traits are ones worth keeping away from other teams.

6. IggySteel

IggySteel Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Looks pretty good to me, except I think you forgot to include Decastro on the OL.

7. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Cutting Golden would be pretty bizarre

8. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Don't need him!! Finney is the Man!!!!

LOL!!! Seriously thanks for the heads up , I fixed it...

Cajun

9. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Why?

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    you think sensabaugh dosen't make it? :hmm::cool:

11. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    He's in year 2 of a 3 year deal
    He's got starting experience and is a quality backup
    There's no experience or depth behind him pushing him off the roster
    He is a very good special teams player, and since Vince is moving to a starting role, and you've also cut DHB... it would be very unlikely for them to remove a 3rd core special teams player from the unit.

He's one of the safest veteran backups on the team

12. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Fair enough..... But not enough to keep him.

Golden started 7 games last year yet only played 36% of the defensive snaps. While he is a good run stopper and decent tackler he's a liability in the passing game. Yes he's a ST captain bit for all the ST snaps he played in 2016 he only had 2 tackles and both of those were assisted!!!!! Is he really a good STer?

Daimion Stafford Played SS in Tenn.... Was also a ST captain and a better ST player and is a hard hitter, solid tackler and better in the passing game. They will battle for one roster spot and I believe Stafford wins.

Cajun

13. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm having trouble getting the former Titan Slot corner on the roster. His game is Avg.

He'll probably win a roster spot but I'm pulling for Hilton!!! I like underdog success stories ( I'm a huge huge Rocky Bleir fan)....

Cajun

Edit: maybe the Cody battle is with Gay and Hilton with Golson. Cody had a good 2015 campaign but has fallen off. Gay is aging and slowing but he knows the defense well, solid tackler and there is always the thought of him playing b/u safety as well....... Who really knows at this point.

Question Mac.... If we keep Coty who do we lose and why?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    coty can play slot, inside or outside. he brings a lot of value that way. he's also a vet. gay can't man up but is a vet of this defense. tough call but i see burns, cockrell, gay, sensabaugh, sutton, then it gets tough. hilton can play safety too. allen could be a safety or corner. we may have a spot at safety open for allen if we go with mitchell,davis,golden and then allen. that would leave hilton and golson fighting with the rest for the last spot. ducre, dixon and a few others could change all this. :cool:

15. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    What about Daimion Stafford.... I know he hasn't reported yet and what about Dangerfield at FS Behind Mitchell like last year.

Cajun

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we can do better than dangerfield in coverage i think. with the signing of malik golden i think there is more to the story of stafford. :cool:

17. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    How I see it...... The Golden signing means they've talked with and know why Stafford isn't here and that he won't be here for at least a week. May be personal issues, we should know by Sunday why he isn't here.

Cajun

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think Brian Allen goes to the PS and Golson wins out over Gay, which gives a spot to Robert Golden. And I think Ayers or DHB will win out vs Coates or even Hunter.

Don't know much about Hooks, but him over McCullers is a toss up for me.

19. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    S/T tackles aren't a good barometer. It's like judging a NT by tackles...

And dangerfield doesn't belong on the field on defense.

Golden is a near lock

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm not so sure allen is destined to the PS. the height/weight/speed he has will be claimed by some team. he's raw but versatile and i think they like his size. he can play ST's as a gunner. ike was raw when he got here too. my reasoning that they keep him is the fact that mitchell, gay, golden, sensabaugh and cockrell are not signed long term. he could eventually take over any of these roles in time. we just can't take the chance of him being poached off the PS. way too much upside for next year and beyond. :cool:

21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Robert Golden is going to make the team. That would be a huge surprise cut. He's about the biggest lock for a backup to be on the roster that we have. I'd be on the lookout for a roster cut TE making the squad at the end of camp. They like carrying TE's and carrying David Johnson as the 3rd string TE seems a bit uninspiring. We might be able to do better there. WR will be interesting... DHB will be a tough cut and only having Rodgers as our slot WR option seems a bit strange. I could see Akers making the team in that regard if he shows something as a returner. Also I think Sensabaugh makes it over Hilton. Golson is gonna have a chance too. The kid has a lot of talent.

22. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    After last year I don't think Golden belongs on the field on defense. With his main competition Stafford not around golden may very well be a near lock.

Cajun

23. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I will be totally surprised if your 1st paragraph comes true.

Hooks over Big Dan is more about Dan's lackluster career vs Hooks upside.

In fact, I could see them Keeping Maxey over McCullers!!

Cajun

24. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Prior to the Stafford dilemma and the signing of Malik G.... how did you see Stafford as Golden's main competition? It implies that the 4th safety spot was between Dangerfield and a bunch of walk ons...

Everyone else was competing with Stafford and Golden... moot point now

25. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    It was widely reported when Stafford was signed he was brought in to compete for a roster spot against Golden.

Golden is liked, plays on all 4 ST and is a captain there but his on field struggles in defense is well documented.

Stafford comes from a similar defense, captain of ST there and is more athletic and has better success on the field on ST and Defense.

They also play the same position.... SS and backup Sean Davis. Dangerfield is a FS backing up Mitchell, is a hard hitting centerfielder which the Steelers seem to like. He knows the defense being here a few years and plays ST....... Hagen is probably his biggest competition so as of now his 53 man roster spot is most likely safe this yr.

Cajun