1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wide reciever competition...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Daddymac10, May 30, 2017.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    In keeping with your thought, Rogers needed to, and had the opportunity to, step up in the AFCCG. He did not. That is the last real game memory that will be in the minds of the coaches.

Rogers is far from a lock to make the team. With that said, I suspect he will.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree that Ayers is being overlooked by many. I liked what I saw from him in his limited snaps last year more than I liked what I saw in Rogers. There's not a big sample size yet, but he just looks shiftier than Eli IMO, and he has a ton of quality return production in college. I think he could surpass Rogers with a typical year 1 to year 2 jump in capability.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is exactly how I feel but I didn't want to make that argument with only 6 career receptions, I let you do it :lolol:

I think he could do more damage with the football in his hands than Eli. The problem is Eli has shown he can do it over the course of the season but on the other hand, those numbers aren't hard to reproduce, I think Ayers could at the very least match it.

But then there is also the possibility that Eli could take a big step forward in year 2.

I can't see Eli not making the team, I just hope Ayers finds a way to make it as well and then let the snaps shake out how they may.

4. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Who did step up in the AFCCG? Rogers will be a lock to make the roster for his punt returning duties alone. Tomlin and Haley like him. I can't see him being anywhere lower than #4 WR on week 1

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree he'll make the 53 but his 6.4 return average won't have anything to do with cementing his place on the team.

6. The Renegade

Jun 25, 2015
    I don't think that's a fair criticism considering he only had seven returns. He should spell AB as the primary punt returner, which will be enough. He played solid as a whole last year as well, for an UDFA with a year of experience under his belt, I'm expecting an improved year from him.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Are you thinking he is the only one who can adequately return punts? Is that enough to make him a lock? Just thoughts. If you aren't one of the top 3 receivers, I think you have moved out of the status of a lock.

https://www.google.com/amp/steelers...rs-aiming-to-win-punt-return-job-in-2017/amp/

8. The Renegade

Jun 25, 2015
    Not at all. I just think Rogers showed enough as the #2 receiver last year(not including Bell) in Bryant's absence to already warrant a spot on the 53. I also think Rogers will be the feature punt returner on this team, as he has similar shiftiness to AB. Ayers may end up getting that job, and all the power to him, but Rogers' body of work has separated himself from the rest of the pack after AB, Bryant and Juju being automatic locks. This is why I love preseason.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Your logic works for me.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    How has he separated himself from the rest of the pack? I am really asking here. Camp hasn't started and OTA's is barely touch football in shorts. This is the last meaningful thing that anybody remembers about Rogers and I don't think it makes him a lock at anything.

Right now DHB, Coates, Hamilton and Rogers are all fighting for one spot and nobody is a lock nor have they established themselves as a solid #2 behind Brown. Ayers is gunning for special teams with hopes that he can work into gimmick plays but that is a lot of guys fighting for just one spot.

11. The Renegade

Jun 25, 2015
    Ok well let me ask you a question then. Has DHB (at 30) shown you more in his 2-3 years in Pittsburgh than Rogers? Has Coates? Has Hamilton? Coates had a great first half last year and disappeared after his injury. I can't confidently say anybody on the roster outside of AB and Bryant have shown more to warrant a WR job than Rogers. I'm not a Rogers fanboy, I just feel he was no less than solid in his starting role last year and will be on the field for the offense Week 1. I really think he's going to have a jump this year in year #2. Rogers' fumble was not the only blemish for the offense that game. If we're judging receivers based on the AFC title game, then who is safe?

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    what juju and hunter bring will determine a lot for rogers. the slot is rogers spot and the competition will be between these guys for that spot. juju and hunter can also jump outside if needed. so can DHB. coates is pretty much strictly an outside guy. DHB and hamilton are probably the best blockers at WR. i do believe age will be a factor in this too. if its close we , i hope, would keep the youth for the future. :cool:

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    More of a statement then criticism. There is nothing to suggest that his return abilities gives him an edge over anyone else. Ayers was good at it in college, Cameron Sutton is a good punt returner, I believe they brought in a FA that has punt return experience as well.

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    As I stated earlier top three are locks with Brown, Bryant and Smith-Schuster. Hunter will be number 4 because in over 20 years I have never witnessed the Steelers signing a free agent in the off season only to cut him before the regular season starts so baring injury Hunter is on the team. Sure it could happen that he is cut but I wouldn't bet on it. that leaves two spots if they keep 6. To answer your question do I think DHB has done more than Rogers to deserve a spot on the 53? Not really but I'm not the guy making those calls. Tomlin, KC and Smith like what DHB brings to special teams and the locker room so I think he is number 6. so that leaves number 5 on the depth chart. So again breaking it down, do they feel they have the slot covered like Mac says with Brown, JuJu and Hunter or do they want to bring in a slot only guy who may be able to take punts? Maybe, maybe not, it will all depend on how they see the roster breaking down. Do they want bigger redzone threats then maybe Coates and Hamilton are weighted higher, again it is all about how they see the contributions on special teams working out. I think a lot will be influenced by what Davis and Ayers do in the return game and force their way into the conversation. That will determine how that lower depth chart goes for WR.

15. The Renegade

Jun 25, 2015
    This is one of the perks of watching preseason games because these questions will be mostly answered. I can't disagree about Pittsburgh cutting a FA before the season but I also can't recall a FA WR having a significant impact in his first year with the team either. I think the fact that Rogers has been in the system two years with significant playing time playing the slot, with the added ability to be a returner on special teams, gives him a leg up at this moment in time. Rogers brings more to the table than DHB, Coates, and Hamilton IMO.

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    As an aside, I took up the challenge to find one... other than camp fodder, the best I could come up with was Todd Peterson or Scobee. But they both played at least some games before being released.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I honestly think this competition is going to be a joy to watch. Just so many facets about who makes it and who doesn't. Every wide receiver not named Brown, Bryant, and JuJu has question marks. Add into this the element of special teams and the competition becomes even more fun. This is going to be a joy. As an FYI, Hamilton and Hunter I think are both handicapped by the fact that they haven't played a lot of special teams in their past. That is a factor which really impacts the 5th and 6th WR spots IMO. The 3/4 spots are more about receiving while 5/6 are going to be mostly specials. This is going to be fun. :)