1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How do YOU feel about our Steelers upcoming season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Triigrr, May 29, 2017.

1. Triigrr

Triigrr Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Football is the most enjoyable sport in the world to me. Im excited for this upcoming season much more then I was last year, there will be countless spectacular games. Our first 3 draft picks last year are current starters and possibility some of this years rookies will start or provide instant impact when needed. We also signed young players during free agency who can learn and improve a lot with this organization. With good health, I truly believe we have the potential to take it all the way this season. Go Steelers

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    To me it comes down to health (and no suspensions) and young guys taking the next step. I think we have the pieces in place to stand toe to toe with NE, but we keep on going up against them with key injuries (and suspensions) on one or both sides of the ball. I feel great about next season right now while we're healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011

• Like Like x 3
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yep, elvis hit it on the head. health. if healthy we beat anybody out there. including NE. :cool:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I think without any injuries we will be better on offense as long as we utilize all our offense players and not just rely on our one man show of Bell and give him so many touches. On defense we could and should be a little better just by getting rid of J Jones, and Burns and Davis getting a year under their belts, but I believe our weak link is still our pass defense. Just wish we could of had one more good experienced defensive back that could play man, we should of picked one in free agency. Just my thoughts going into training camp, we should also re-evaluate right after camp and preseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I don't think that Tomlin is smart enough to beat Belechick. Even if we were to trade players, even up, and retain coaches, Tomlin would still lose to Belechick. So don't get your hopes up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we have way too many weapons for even darth hoodie. we didn't have that last year. we almost beat them with landry jones early in the season without the weapons we have now. it's doable.:cool:

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Honest question: Do you think ANY coach is as smart as Bill?

10. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I felt good about our chances last year and we made the AFC Championship game. However, all hope rests on somehow seeing a much improved defense this year. Our defense can suddenly gel, but the odds are long IMO. Then their is the Cheaters issue, but maybe they will not be as hungry this year. There`s always hope when you are a good team. Imagine being a fan of a perennial loser like the Browns, UGH. Glad I'm not in that hell hole.

• Like Like x 1
  11. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I think the guy does have somewhat of a point. I think bill is definitely a great coach and probably will rank in the top when he retires. I don't believe he is invincible either. He has a great system and is very good at getting players to play to their strengths and limit mistakes. On his end he is great at taking what the other team gives him and can adjust his game plan at any point.

This is where we lose the battle with Tomlin. He and his staff just can't seem to adjust what so ever during the game. We have loads of talent so we usually can just will our way to victory, but when we face those few teams that always"have our number" its just not enough. That championship game is a perfect example, we came out and played exactly what we always play. What according to Chris Hogan they prepped to face all week. What Brady thrives against on defense. Zone coverage. Despite getting blown away early, no adjustments were made still and the slaughter continued. I don't think NE planned to shut down or offense so effectively, that was mainly on us however our offensive game plan was still usual and predictable.

This is what bothers me. I know you have a system you like and that players are comfortable in, but sometimes you gotta break out of the box to get to the next level especially when you are up against good rosters and coaching.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I always feel good about the upcoming season. We've been fortunate to have a QB that puts us in a position to win any game.

Has a pretty good cast around him too and the defense continues to improve.

As long as Bens play doesn't fall off a cliff and injuries stay to a minimum, I like their chances a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    gawd damn the fans here give too much credit to the pats, yes they are a good team but not undefeatable. All it takes is a rally cry from one or two respected leaders in the locker room and they can break that mystique. Cam Heyward/JH92 on defense and Pouncey/Gilbert on offense and they can turn an Everest into a 14er. Gotta believe, and it all starts there....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Tom Coughlin seem's to have his number, Denver coach seems to know how to beat them Seattle should have beat them
    and you could add Atlanta into the mix. So yes they can be beat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    But your missing the point Mac, you have to have the coaching staff capable of using these weapons.
    MT never gave his defensive players a chance to win in AFCCG. If a coach doesn't have a game
    plan to instruct/lead his ball players especially against BB than it doesn't matter if you have better talent which we did last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Too right. The awe for the Pats around here is... odd. Not to say they don't have a great team, but the extent to which any serious analysis gets blown away by declarations of how unbeatable they are.

But I digress.

For me, I feel much the same about this coming season as I did the last. We've got some good young players coming through, some solid vets and some superstars. We're primed for a SB win, but there are 7-8 other teams who are also there or thereabouts. So it's still going to come down to injuries, luck, execution at the right time, and so on.

One thing about this season that's perhaps different is the whole "is Ben retiring" talk... there's a need for the team to come out of the gates on all cylinders from Week 1, and keep that focus on the SB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

tj watt, cam heyward, sutton, sensibaugh, burns and davis year two, juju, bryant, golson?, an improved grimble and james. all more fire power we didn't have lasy year. we are making the commitment to playing man to man when needed. we have a much improved offensive side of the ball than we did last year with just bell and AB. last year was just that, last year. we will be much improved and much different. :cool:

18. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm excited about the upcoming season, as always, but for some reason I'm a little more hesitant to get too excited this year. I know we have some great weapons, but I'm just tired of the injury bug seemingly making things more difficult for what should otherwise be great seasons. Here's hoping things get off to a good start and stay that way.

19. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Belechick is prepared, plays fundamental ball, and minimizes mistakes. That keeps you in most games with a talented squad. He's not a genius. He didn't win the last two super bowls, the other coaches lost them. Making impulsive decisions based upon emotion is how those games were lost. Belechick doesn't do that stupid s... That is what separates him from the others. On second thought, that does make him a genius.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

He does have an impressive resume, he has been an NFL coach for 42 years and has 7 superbowl rings to his credit, and most people begrudge him for his success, but he is good at what he does when it comes to evaluating talent and managing games by making adjustments during a game, probably the best at doing that, Steeler fans will never admire him but we do have to give him credit for what he does.......

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  21. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Really? This is the problem, people respect the pats for what they represent as an opponent, it's not that we think they are gods. I wish our coaching staff had that respect to properly and fully prepare. You realize the pats were gutted in that afccg missing lots of key players to injury and still DESTROYED us right? What does that tell you? I'm black and yellow through and through, but I also believe you never underestimate your opponent ever. The Texans have you the defensive game plan, if they had any ounce of offensive ability the pats run ended there. After watching the pats offense getting beat up by Houston our coaching staff took ZERO from that game, not one play or formation. How is that?

Maybe we wouldn't have fans feel the pats were so great if our coaching staff would put our talent to better use to beat them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    On paper you're right Turtle. But which Steeler SB appearance in the 21st century has involved Ben & Co. beating Brady & Co.? The answer is revealing.

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I feel good about every season.

This season though I have a better feeling should our teams health be good enough. New Enlgand is the wall we have to break through but it is not one of indestructibility.

Cracks will reveal themselves at some point. I do believe Tom could regress this year given the fact that he did take a beating in the first half of Super Bowl LI and the AFC Divisional Round.... and that is not including the hits he has taken over the course of his career.

I understand the hits he has taken is not akin to what Ben has taken but those hits are still violent none the same.

If anything, I am a lot less worried about New England and more concerned about what the "Silver 'n Black" are building. Had Derek Carr been healthy, I am not too sure we could have beaten them.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    bryant and juju will be much more formidable than coates and DHB. this brings a whole new set of weapons to the field that we didn't have. they can't just take bell and AB out of the game plan now and not worry about these two. whole different ball game if we are healthy then. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It didn't matter what coverage they played, the Steelers didn't have the players to match up man to man the whole game.