1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

3 Year Rule. Draft class of 2014

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by chitown steeler3, May 23, 2017.

1. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I agree with most of the people that were saying you can't evaluate a draft class till 3 years in. With that in mind I thought it would be fun to evaluate the 2014 class.

1. Ryan Shazier - While I wasn't thrilled at the time with the pick I have grown to like the pick. Shazier has flashed when on the field and at times been dominant. The injury bug has not been kind to him limiting him to 34 games played in 3 years. I grade it as a B+

Other possible picks at the time. CJ Mosley, Zach Martin, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

2. Stephon Tuitt - Loved this pick at the time. Thought he was easily a first round talent that was slipping because of an injury. Since then he has played in 44 of 48 games. Is a clear cut starter on the DL. I grade it as an A+

Other possible picks at the time. Timmy Jernigan, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry

3. Dri Archer - Another on I wasn't thrilled on at the time, Archer was only ever going to be a gadget player. Those types I have always felt should be saved for round 6 or 7 if you really want them. He was waived in November of 2015, (barely lasting over a year on the roster) never really contributing to the team. I grade it as a F

Other possible picks at the time. Devonta Freeman, Ross Cockrell, Richard Rogers

4. Martavis Bryant - Was intrigued when Bryant was drafted, saw the size and speed and I figured this guy should have been selected sooner unless he can't catch. After reading up and seeing that he did tend to let some easy balls get away I was no longer shocked. Bryants play on the field has been excellent. Unfortunately keeping him on the field has been difficult due to his own choices. I don't remember if he ahad a failed drug test at the combine but at least the steelers evaluated his talent properly. I grade it as a B

Other possible picks at the time. De'Anthony Thomas, Pierre Desir, Brock Vereen.

5A. Shaquille Richardson - Another late round CB is all I could think at the time of this pick. But again intrigued with his decent size for the position. Shaq never made it to the 53 man roster. he has since been on 4 other rosters, most recently the Panthers. I grade it as a D

Other possible picks at the time. AJ McCarron, Caraun Reid

5B. Wesley Johnson - The man getting trained to be the swiss army knife. I admit, unless someone broke down tape I don't have a knack for spotting good offensive linemen. Johnson to me was just another body. Apparently it was a much bigger deal. He was claimed off our practice squad by the jets and has since played in 26 games starting 9 of them. I grade it as a C

6A. Jordan Zumwalt - Didn't understand this pick, especially after the Shazier pick. Zumwalt could never end a preseason healthy except for his final one in 2016 where he was waived by the Steelers. Never saw anything from him. I grade it as a F

6B. Dan McCullers - A size prospect that is still on the roster. Tried to keep my expectations down when I read how large this guy was. Seeing him in preseason games manhandle people was encouraging but he hasn't developed that killer instinct he needs to truly be dominant. I grade it as a C+

7. Rob Blanchflower - A guy with an injury history but plenty of potential, was definitely a prayer that he could produce. Stayed on the practice squad for a year and was waived after the next preseason. I grade it as a D.

Overall grade B-

What say the rest of you?

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I give Shazier an A, he's a difference maker. Would be an A + if not for injury aspect.

Have to give Bryant an A, his talent is worth that alone. 4th rd steal if he stays clean.

Shaq F

Wesley B, shame he was poached.

Zumwalt C- He had potential if not for injuries.

Rest sounds about right.

3. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Giving someone an A for talent alone I think is dumb. Josh Gordon, JaMarcus Russell, Justin Blackmon, Vernon Gohlston, Trent Richardson (the list can go on). All of them had great talent and none of them fulfilled their potential fully because of a wide variety of mistakes made.

Also as a 5th rounder I don't see how you could grade Shaq as an F as he's still in the league

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Worthless list. Bryant had a very good rookie season, 8 TDs in 10 games and solid shortened 2nd season. His talent is enormous and career with the Steelers still ongoing. A

Goodie for Shaq, he's not on he Steelers and did absolutely nothing while here. F

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Based on overall value (past contributions, current talent, potential) I'd bump Shazier to an A- (injuries, too anxious at times and/or tries to make too big of a play). Martavis Bryant is at least worth a B+, this season and the following offseason will tell all.

Otherwise, agree with the list. Shame we made nothing of Dri Archer. Wanted to see him used as a passing option, had the speed for big plays...not the size. But we could have showed him off a bit and put him on the trading block, plenty of teams that utilize his type of offensive skillset.

Typical Steeler draft...1-3 top tier picks (I'd say we got 3 in 2014), 1-2 average picks that may pan out perfectly or be a bust (McCullers), and the rest are busts

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Shazier - (A-) His biggest hurdle has been injuries as we all know, otherwise he is a big part of this D

Tuitt - (A+) No explanation needed, dude's a stud and great pick for a 2nd rounder

Archer - (D) Haley chasing his next McCluster, too rare for guys this size to be successful and with a 3rd comp that's way too high

Bryant - (B-) They take another gamble in the 4th. Great physical traits but one year of production and immature. I consider this an "on the field" win and an "off the field" loss. Tough one to grade, balancing the production vs the suspensions.

Richardson - (C-) Typical size they look for and good numbers pre-draft, but another guy who had character flags (theft charge). IIRC this was Carnell Lake's recommendation. 5th round is where you take some shots at guys with good measurables but questionable in other areas. This one didn't pan out. Now in the CFL.

Wesley Johnson - (B+) Finding a potential starter with your 5th round comp is a big bonus. Unfortunately, he will be the starting center for the NYJ, or is slated there for now. They tried to stash him on the PS mid season due to ST29s injury and they needed to call up a special teamer, but the Jets snagged him. Still a good pick for where he went.

Zumwalt - (C) Typical special teams pick. LBer with an attitude and some smarts. Bad hip injury as a rookie and just never recovered. Maybe would have developed into a core STer and ILB depth but you never know.

McCullers - (C+) Gotta give him credit for sticking on the roster as a 6th comp and participating, albeit in special situations. Mammoth size is a bonus and a detriment, so who do you fault? They knew what they were getting when they drafted him.

Blanchflower - (C) Same grade as Zumwalt because injuries just piled up for this TE. Late rounder with injuries that you can't predict. A "C" is my default grade I guess.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A lot of misses, KC & MT better hope they don't miss on the 1'& 2's. or they maybe gone. LOL