1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Release Ladarius Green

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Boomer, May 18, 2017.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Got two in UDFAs. One is more a receiving threat than the other. But neither stand out in that dept to me. They can either stand pat with what they have (I'm ok with this) or sign a FA, or sign a bigger type WR ala Ricky Seals Jones and hope to convert. They definitely had hesitations pre-draft about Green, they looked at a lot of TEs. But since they passed on one in the draft, they must feel comfortable or the right prospect didn't fall to their liking. The Outlaw is still only like 21 or 22 years old. Personally, I'm good with James and Grimble as the receiving guy, he seems a gamer to me. Choo Choo adds a weapon to the receiving core so our TEs can be the usual checkdown and chain moving target.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    pretty sure that owl has a concussion, better take it to the vet

4. Rick Williams

Rick Williams Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2017
    I am not so sure the Steelers are certain that the TE group is sound. They probably weighed the TEs available agains Jesse James, the presumed number 1 TE and decided he was better. It might be that simple. I am intrigued by the TE from Fordham, that they signed as UDFA. I never felt like James was a game breaker, but I always felt like he was Heath Miller-like in his efficiency. Except for one or two instances, he never drops anything - always moves those chains. Grimble to me is the wildcard - he is the potential game breaker.

Rick

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm confused. How is loosing 20 pounds going to give him a concussion? :smiley1:

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yes Grimble never seems to get favorable reviews from training camp etc, but when its game time he produces. Interested to see how he is used this preseason, I like him as the receiving portion of that duo, but James is no slouch. Like I said, I'm OK with the status quo at TE with an outside chance Odom steps up. I think we can put the offensive pressure back on the WRs and RBs next year. Since that is our strongest play. Let the TE be a silent weapon if one develops.

7. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    We gained 2,265,000 in cap space releasing Green.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe they shouldn't have drafted a RB in the 3rd and a QB in the 4th :facepalm:.

9. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Maybe it's a good thing we drafted a powerful slot WR in the 2nd

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why? Since when has this team been dependent on a field stretching TE. They were all gone by the 3rd rd anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Your Butt still itches...lol! I know Jake Butt wasn't exactly known as a field stretcher but he was still available. He's more in the dual threat category granted, but I think he was a reliable down field target. Nothing like L. Green though. So I get where you are coming from. Bummer it didn't last into the 2017 season, I would have liked to seen 6 more games out of him anyway. Just to freshen up Haley's game planning.

12. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Now it makes perfect sense why they took JuJu in the 2nd rd. That WR corp could be something to watch, and adding Juju and removing Green is fine with me.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:

I was a big Jake Butt fan but with the emergence of James and picking JuJu in the second, taking Butt wasn't an option.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    so you didn't want to pick your Butt? I could go all day with these....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    bad word games I get it. I'm with you, taking Choo Choo in the second alleviates a lot of pressure on the TEs getting immediate dividends in the passing game. They can now develope into that role.

16. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Grimble too, better than Green

17. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    It just blows my mind that this wasn't factored in during the draft. Everybody and their grandmother knew that Green's brain was jello. It's not like some huge development has transpired the past 2 weeks that has changed everything so much. Just a very dumb move, or lack thereof...

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it means the Steelers fully expected him to start the season. How much they got out of him after that, was anyones guess but I don't think they foresaw him failing a physical at this juncture. I know I didn't. With as much time between when he was injured and now, figured that would have been enough to heal. I did not expect him to finish the season, I did expect him to start the season.

19. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I feel bad for Green and his career, but I'm happy because he was nothing but a distraction. James had to constantly look over his shoulder if he was getting bumped out, now he knows he's the man and it's his job to lose. Grimble looked good when given his opportunities and I think he will emerge as a great down the field complement to James. Now we know why San Diego went with a 45 year old tight end with a nagging injury history over Green lol.

20. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
  21. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If I recall correctly...Jessie had a nice stretch of td's per game...last year. He's gonna be open this season evenmore with a healthy wr corp

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    WOW, I am totally confused then with their draft process if they had knowledge this
    could happen. Something doesn't add up?

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    grimble was blocking better and so was james the more time they got. grimble had cracked or bruised ribs last year that hurt him during the year. that should be healed and he looks leaner (loss of 20 lbs.) but stronger. both should get better as we go with more experience.

DJ re-signing is a mystery though, especially the way we use hubbard. now hubbard was also being used because nix was injured most of the year early on. DJ was used as a blocker. now with grimble healed and nix healed we can do without hubbard and DJ and use james and grimble and nix in some sets.

with our receiving corps we don't really need to be going to the TE's too much anyway. we have plenty of mismatches to keep defenses off guard. using the TE's will just be an extra bonus in the red zone. folks we have numerous weapons out the wazzou, why take the ball out of the hands of our talented receiving corp if we don't have too. including bell.

i don't think it was that big of a deal to pick a move TE in this draft and neither did the FO or we would have. we have two young talented UDFA's to work with and tuck away for later on. green was a luxury that only helped us because we were down wr's last year. not so now. :cool:

24. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I saw an article that says the Steelers failed to do their homework on his concussion history. They paid him $1,000,000 per game for 6 games and cost themselves a 6th round comp pick for signing him. Not their finest work in free agency by any stretch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I think Scott Orndoff is the more complete TE over Odom who is weak as a blocker and not a complete receiver either at this point:

Orndoff caught 35 passes for 579 yards and five touchdowns in 2016. As a junior in 2015, he caught 13 passes for 244 yards and five touchdowns, an average of 18.8 yards per catch.

"Now the real work begins," Orndoff wrote on Instagram, "and nothing is guaranteed, but I'm excited for the opportunity to play for the team I've cheered for since I was born! Proud to be a Steeler! #HereWeGo"

• Like Like x 1