1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers future QB is...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jim90, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If anyone is interested, there is a piece coming up on NFL Network, Roethlisbergers Replacement?

2. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I didn't know much about him before being drafted, but since then I've watched all the clips I can find. I like the pick for a possible development player, but I'm just glad we don't need him to start now, or any time soon. He throws a good deep ball, but his accuracy on other throws is suspect and as someone said earlier, he takes a lot of sacks. I would be shocked if he's the "future" of our franchise.

3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    .....not on the roster yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I will second that notion, but will have too find one quickly.

5. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Because they do not want ben to retire to early..

6. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I love this stat... and against one of the toughest defensive schedules

• Like Like x 3
  7. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I want to know if there is any chance we can get Sam Darnold next year.

8. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    ...finishing his redshirt freshman year.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm: Yeah if they go 1-15, he might not even declare he's only a redshirt sophomore.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

A key ingredient for Steelers quarterbacks.

How well does one handle pressure? Dobbs can without question.

11. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. I was thinking about how lucky this kid is going to a team with a good O-line. He at least has a chance to look like he knows what he is doing because he will have time to throw the ball.

I remember Ben`s first game and my general impression was he looked like he knew what he was doing. I hope Dobbs gets off to a strong start too, but I`m not expecting it.

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Unlikely Dobbs will get much if any playing time behind the starting Oline in preseason, they dont play more than a series or two prior to game three when ben will play into the 2nd quarter, and game 4 no starters will be in the line up, Dobbs will play with the 2s and 3s when he does play in a game.......

13. BigBensBigBong

Dec 14, 2014
    I was thinking regular season when Ben ,oops, if Ben gets hurt. Then again, will we let the rookie play in that case?

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben will miss some games it's just the way it is ..His knees ankles and shoulder have all been hurt . Plus the Head injuries .If Dobbs can beat out LJ for the #2 spot which he very well should be able to do odds are great he will play in regular season games..

15. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    When are they going to get a decent quarterback coach? :huh:

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That can develop a young QB.

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Good point, Fichtner didnt have to develop Ben when he was hired because Ben was already a developed QB who came into the league already with those skills, the bigger problem was the poor job he did developing landry jones and some say he did a poor job developing him, and if he coaches dobbs like he has jones, dobbs wont make many improvements in his development, here's an article calling Fichtner out:

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...eelers-to-turn-the-heat-up-on-randy-fichtner/

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ken anderson was the qb coach when be got here and in his first couple of years. fitchner had to also spend time on ben when we switched co-O's. he had a ton of work to do with landry also coming from that system in oklahoma where he didn't take snaps under center and help ben adjust to haley's offense. i think he's done quite well with them. :cool:

19. BigBensBigBong

Dec 14, 2014
    An intentional move at Ben`s replacement would be a first round QB pick after a bad year and/or Ben`s retirement. Dobbs is depth for now with unspoken hope that they found a diamond in the rough and he turns out to be his replacement.

20. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Who did he develop ?? :rolleyes:

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    who has developed a backup that has become a franchise qb scruffy? thats just not how it's done. he has developed ben into a better qb. he has made LJ a lot better than when he first got here. :cool:

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Michael Vick

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    If a team with a QB is picking at #1... Trade all 7 draft picks to get Darnold at #1... That way we dont have to waste a year in the cellar to get a high pick.

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Dobbs does have work to do in his mechanics but many if not all of them can be fixed.

Ben will be there to guide him, Fichtner as well. No one is stating Dobbs is Ben's replacement immediately. Should he develop to the extent to actually do the unthinkable in replacing Ben when he cannot do it anymore then so be it. Otherwise, Dobbs is more so to replace Landry in time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Some here would say that sounds an awful lot like the very shoes he was drafted to possibly fill eventually