1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Wallace Negotiations

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by truckin9999, Mar 17, 2012.

1. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, looks like he will be staying. This is going to be a heck of a WR corps, another year under their belts, a new OC who will hopefully tap into their strengths, could be fun!

3. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Pats signed Brandon Lloyd for their deep threat so hopefully that puts them out of the running.

4. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This will be a good indicator of whether or not Wallace is a "Steeler" or a rent-a-player in a Steeler uniform. Players who choose to stay with the Steelers know that they are a "team-first" organization and they will not mortgage their future to make him happy with Vincent Jackson money. If he signs long-term for less money than he might want, I would say he gets it. If not - he's just another rent-a-player who puts self above team. We'll see....

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yikes..that dude is pretty good.

6. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He has played for 5 teams in 8 years and has a reputation as a malcontent but Belichick usually does well with those kinds of players (incentive laden contracts)

7. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Now's the time to sign him for some years, so we don't have to deal with this next year in the FA market. That would be even worse as potential suitors wouldn't have to give any pck away to lure him. They would just load the upfront cash so Steelers couldn't match, and it doesn't matter in the end cuz we would have no right of refusal. If I were his agent I would have him a sign a one year deal w/ us. Hope that doesn't happen.

Sign him to a long term deal or else. We have to deal w/ both Brown and Sanders next year and Brown is the one I'm afraid of losing. He must be saved at all cost. Get Brown signed after Wallace.

8. black&gold in NJ

black&gold in NJ Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    We still have to worry about the Bengals, no?

9. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    And they just signed Donte Stallworth so they're pretty much done picking up WR's. I worry about Denver though. I believe they still have plenty of cash and a fairly low 1st rd pick (25).

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Didn't Stallworth play for them a few years ago as well? Sad, really, yhis guy used to be a legitimate threat in the receiving game. Since leaving NO, he seems to have bounced around teams and produced little.

I have no stats to back that up, though.

11. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Denver is the only team left that makes sense to me...

But if the Steelers do extend Wallace, I hope they are thinking ahead at what they're going to do next year. Brown will probably want a contract that's as big as Wallace's if he has the same kind of season he just did.

I know some players don't get involved in contract situations, but if I were Ben I might give Wallace and call (and Brown next year), and be like look... we've got something special here... I'm in my prime and the two of you are coming into yours, we could be the mostly deadly combo in the NFL...

They could be Warner when he had Holt and Bruce.

12. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Match what? Matching another teams signed offer only applies to RFAs. Without a new contract, Wallace is an UFA next year and can go where he wants regardless of what the Steelers do.

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep that is correct.....Next year we have 2 options ,the Franchise Tag or Contract......IMO it won't be good either way as the tag will probably be 12 Mil or so which will cost us other talent on the Team...Or he has a bad year and still wants a bigger contact than we are willing to pay...Or the worse case he has a great year and wants even more money than he does right now...

Being he hasn't signed a reasonable deal already I think it will be for the best to get another pick this year for him....IMO the odds are low he plays here next year unless it's under a Tag and I don't think the Team can afford to Tag anyone with a Salary that high for a few seasons....

14. 7+83=7

7+83=7 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They also signed Gonzales and Stallworth....some will stay...some not...Belichek way

15. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Matching another teams offer is not only for RFAs, that's part of negotiating period. In the RFA world we have to match or lose, i.e. right of refusal. As a FA, since another team doesn't have to give up any draft pick, particularly a #1 they could just offer him so much money that the Steelers couldn't match or respond with a competitive offer back.

Free agency does not forego the home team from matching a competitors offer to retain services.