1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2017 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by blountforcetrauma, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    End of Golson?

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. nhawz

nhawz New Member

Apr 28, 2017
    AB, MB and Ju Ju is an insane WR core. Add LB pass catching abilities in the slot and we have the most dynamic receiving core in the league. James Connor is a beast and will compliment LB well. Good luck slowing us down this year, pick our poison.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'll have some time in the morning to go through this thread but here's my initial thoughts:

My heart was being ripped out throughout the second round watching really talented guys I liked cone off the board one by one. Watching teams trade up to get the guy they coveted.

After all that we take a WR. Does not look good for Martavis.

Round 3 starts and I still continue to watch guys I like come off the board. Hate to be that guy, but Baltimore and Cincinnati killed this Day 2.

We finally take a Corner, and it's Sutton. One of the most vanilla CBs in the draft.

Love that we got Conner. Thought it was early but I can live with it.

I'll always continue to trust Colbert and Co, but man that was hard to watch tonight. Real hard. With one of the best S And CB classes in memory, and we wrap up day 2 with Cameron Sutton. :facepalm:

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    after the Denver fumble, I didn't see Touissant as anything more than an afterthought. I didn't see the Tomlin favoritism. Not trying to convince you, but they wouldn't take Bell out because they had no alternatives. I just think Conner will be effective in giving Bell a break if they give him the chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lol, Im not having this conversation again. NYSteel and myself went back and forth about this.

Ill just say, its not all that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We've had a healthy DWill that couldn't get on the field to spell Bell. We had Blount who couldn't get on the field and revolted and we have the waste of a RB Toussaint who Tomlin loves for some reason who can't even get in in mop up duty. Now he's gonna trust a rookie....one fumble and he might be done for the year.

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I choose throw the ball all over the yard against our D...

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I was responding to a comment but yes this is what I was getting at essentially.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I understand it is late Steel but one question before you go.

Outside of Desmond King, who would have been your pick given the amount of information you know about our draft choices?

10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Why is everybody saying the WR pick is about Martavis? We all know if MB keeps his head on straight, Juju would take Coates spot. I think it could also be about AB, he hasn't been the smartest either. They paid him to keep him happy and give us a shot but that doesn't mean once Ben retires and AB is getting 15-18 million we couldn't trade him.

11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Yep. We just refuse to trade up and are happy to take guys too high since there's no one left.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

maybe that's why touissant couldn't see the mop up duty? It's all roses in the media when MT and KC responded to Touissant's fumble in the playoffs but in the locker room???

But hey, if you don't like Conner, you don't like him. Fair enough. I can't stand Coates and everyone seems to want to give him 3-4 more chances than what he deserves. So I can respect the side you're choosing (or the value where we drafted him more likely).

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It's absolutely about the value/need we need help on D more than a average back up RB. People talking about him being a bruiser ,this isn't the 90's ...today's game needs versatile backs. To me Toussaint shouldn't even be on the team and I seriously question what a Tomlin sees in some of these guys but that to is a story for another day....simple question D.King,Shaq Griffin who I think was still there and it smite a couple other guys I can't even think straight right now but DKing or Conner ...good nite guys,Turtle. We'll pick this up tomorrow

14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Maybe so. We shall see

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I like Sutton, but I only see him as a slot guy.... seems physical and a very willing tackler.

Can he compete with guys on the outside?

16. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    The player isn't going to help you win games when they're suspended for a year. Oh wait, why does this sound familiar?!

17. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    fixed it for you

18. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Anytime

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  20. Steelersfan24

Steelersfan24 New Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Steelers need a QB in my opinion because Ben probably be retiring soon theres a guy i really like thats Brad Kaaya from Miami if he is available should get him. Now i dont know if anybody has seen any film on this guy but David Washington from Old Diminion depending on if he gets drafted be someone to look at too hear some people compare him to teddy Bridgewater.

21. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Not good for Bryant? More like SC. Bryant is far and away better than SC period! You are correct when you said the talent that they let walk in that 2nd round, and we needed a lil help back there in the secondary. Just bizarre IMO? Why no trade up? The Connor kid is a great story, but is Connor gonna cover a WR? Is he going to pressure a QB? I just don't get it.......

22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I probably should have said Coates and Bryant. At this point neither can be counted on. Wr was a huge need.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Alot of it has to revolve around the fact on how hell bent were the Steelers to take a WR. Even if we lose Bryant or if we think Coates is a bust (which I don't agree) I thought we had enough depth to handle it.

Within 6 picks, we could have had Obi, Cunningham, Tanoah, Awuzie or Josh Jones. Wouldn't have cost us much to trade up and grabbed the guy we like. I probably would have preferred all of them to a WR.

But let's just move forward that a WR was the right choice, I really don't like Sutton at #94.

Once again could have traded up to grab Shaq Griffin or Jourdan Lewis or stood pat and grabbed King, Tankersley, Douglas or Langley.

The Sutton pick will be a good indicator of how well we scouted our CBs. With so many talented Corners in this draft, Sutton better pan out.

As I mentioned I can live with the Conner pick. It's a need. Hometown guy. Great leader. Great intangibles. Great production. Even if maybe it was early I don't mind it.

Going to be interesting to keep an eye on our WR depth chart going into the season and then comparing Sutton to other Corners taken.

The Steelers are a good team. The chances that our 5th, 6th and 7th round picks make the team this year are very slim. Now I usually don't like throwing away draft picks but I would have this year to get the guy I wanted and likely because one of those picks won't make the team.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  24. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Definitely MB is better than SC. But do you really think the Steelers would use a 2nd round pick on a #4 WR? I think JuJu was taken to be the #2 WR because the Steelers have the intention to move on from MB.

Even Colbert marveled on how good this S and Corner class were. To only come away with Sutton doesn't add up. Who knows maybe there are a couple of other guys he really likes who he thinks he can get in the 4th round.

I'm not sure these day 2 picks will help us get over the hump and beat the Patriots.

25. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    We have an A+ OL.. and almost perfect Offense.. We need to score our 28-34 points a game to win and get the #2 spot. Score like the Pats score at will.. That goal seems a bit easier to accomplish right now then trying to get our defense to keep teams under 20.