1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hines Ward Retires

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Mar 20, 2012.

1. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Re: Steelers announce press conference w/ Hines

HINES...YOUR THE DEFINITION OF BLACK AND GOLD

>>>>>>>>>>PURE CLASS<<<<<<<<<<<

2. CaBurghfan

CaBurghfan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Thanks Hines! All Pro, All class, All-time Steeler first team!!!! :herewego:

3. steelfan70

steelfan70 Member

Jan 1, 2012

Absolutely one of the classiest players ever to put on the Black and Gold! Thanks for all the memories Hines!

4. steelerdon

steelerdon Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Thanks Hines

Thanks Hines Steeler nation will really miss you

5. grahamburgher

grahamburgher Active Member

Nov 9, 2011

More class in that guy's pinky finger than most guys in this league will ever know. Let's hope our young WR's take it to heart and carry on the tradition.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011

Thanks for all your hard work and contributions, Hines. Even on the day of your retirement, you manage to represent the Black and Gold with class and heart. Steeler Nation will always love you.

:flag:

7. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Re: Thanks Hines

An 'All Time Great' Steeler!!

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011

Very happy he retired a steeler now i can wear my ward authentic forever

9. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011

Thanks for the memories, Hines. A once in a generation player. One of my all-time favorites. Just a shame we all have to get old.

Good luck to your future endeavors. I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of that great smile.

10. IggySteel

IggySteel Active Member

Oct 24, 2011

So glad we don't have to watch him play in a different uniform! Thanks for the memories, Hines!

11. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011

I'm sorry his career ended a little bit earlier than he probably hoped.

But I'm so glad to have had the privilege of seeing this guy play. He's forever a part of our family. A part of Steeler Nation.

Thanks so much for the drive, the passion, the joy and all of the great memories. :herewego: :herewego: :herewego:

12. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

Hines will always be my all time favorite Steeler. He's a class act in every way, and in his press conference he thanked Steeler nation about 20 times.

It was obvious he cared about his teammates (him crying because he wanted to get the bus a ring)

It was obvious he cared about the fans, the way he'd look for an 86 jersey in the stands whenever he scored a touchdown.

He was tough and hard working... And the best blocking wide receiver of all time.

He saw that there was more to life than football, and used his talents and celebrity to make a difference for bi-racial children.

Just and awesome football player and human being.

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Not trying to be negative,but I can't help,but think that BA and Ben led to this early exit......He seems to have way to much passion for the game to be done...Ward has never been fast and he looks capable of playing on tape IMO....

I hate that the type of O and the Love for the deep ball will always make me wonder just how much Ward had left in the tank....

Anyway it was a great presser and these young WR'S can learn a lot from the way Ward approached the game..The one quote I really liked was stats mean nothing if you don't win...Another was he knew he had to be a Great Blocker and he knew it set the tone for the OL and the rest of the Team.....I can see Brown going in the Ward direction ...

14. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

And with that, Hines officially becomes my favorite Steeler of all time. The authentic #86 jersey will be put into a glass case and showcased on the wall, never to be worn again. Thanks for the memories Hines and I hope you find yourself back with this organization in some form or fashion in the near future!!

15. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Thank you HINES WARD! True definition of class. A STEELER FOR LIFE!!! Glad i got the pleasure of seeing you play for those 14 years. :bowdown: Who would of thought a retirement press conferance could make a fan become so emotional!! :cry: :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

16. So Cal Steeler

So Cal Steeler Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

He was one of the best to ever wear Black And Gold, A real class act. He worked his way up from Special teams, He never gave up. A true Steeler! I'll miss his smile, and it makes my day that he'll retire a Steeler. The thought of him in Bmore made me ill.

17. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011

I'm starting to save my money TODAY for the Hall of Fame Ceremony in 2017. He should be a first-ballot.

Thank you for going out a Steeler, Hines! You will always be among my favorites!

18. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    Dang - I missed the press conference. I hope that Steelers.com puts it up as an archived video. I'd really love to see Hines say the words. I am really glad he won't be playing for anyone else!

19. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

me too. He holds all WR records over Swann and Stallworth and they are in. Plus he has a rule named after him. Gotta be a 1st balloter. :bowdown:

20. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm pretty glad to hear this. Hines is part of the Steeler organization to me as much as anyone has ever been. I didn't at all like the idea of seeing him play in another uniform.

As much as I know he wanted to keep playing, I'm glad to see him retire as a Steeler.

21. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Salute to Hines Ward. Here's to a true champion. :herewego:

22. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011

Agreed. I live in Cleveland, so this will be a cheap trip for me. My son will be 19 in 2017, and I'm SURE he would LOVE a trip to the HoF ceremonies as a "going away to college" present.

23. gharrison92

gharrison92 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Love Hines! As others have said, he's a class act and the true definition of a Steeler!

24. SteelAGirl

SteelAGirl Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Although I'm said I am glad we don't have to see him in someone else's uniform. #bittersweet. Much love to you Hines. :towel:

25. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    My son learned about football during the 2005 season and super bowl run, and modeled his play after Hines. Never played football til 10th grade (mommy wouldn't let him) but learned quick, had great hands, and played WR to make Hines proud. Sent more OLBs and DEs to the sidelines than most teams in a season, never once got called for a cheap shot, and smiled the whole time he did it. Oh, and led the team in receptions and TD catches. With Hines, that always seems to be the second thing mentioned.
    Thanks Hines for the inspiration you gave to a decade and a half of young steeler fans. And some of us who aren't so young.