1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Update: Gareon Conley accused of rape

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Apr 25, 2017.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Of sexual assault.

Wow. 2 days before the draft and this comes out.

Anyone have any idea who it might be?

Information seems to be lacking at the moment. Incident t happened in Cleveland. Gonna be some scrambling over the next 48 hours.

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    You can count on somebody leaking his name before the draft....

3. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Gareon Conley

4. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Thanks for the tip! Yes looks like it is him.

Wow. He strongly denies the charge. Whether he did or didn't do it, he's going to drop like a rock now. He could have been a top 12 pick.

5. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I hate when stuff like this comes out at just the right/wrong time(depending on who you are), It seems very formulated. I'm not saying he's innocent, but lets not condemn him just yet.

6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    No condemnation, I agree. Gotta let the legal process play out.

However, he very well may go undrafted because of this. Just how it works. I doubt there is a resolution to this in the next couple of days.

7. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Oh yeah, definitely. He's probably screwed. Draftwise at least.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That sucks, for him if he didn't do it and for us. One less chance of someone we want falling to us.

He's going to drop like a stone, he's radioactive now.

9. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Pick him up in the 6th... next week the girl will say she made it up. then we have a good 6th.
    If he goes to jail we lose a 6th.. who are our last 6th rounders from the last three years?

10. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I could easily see the Browns picking this guy with one of their eight million picks. As you said, you'll get incredible value if the charges end up being dropped or if he is acquitted.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If he did not do it however..

I see a scenario of us nabbing him a la Dallas taking La'el Collins after being cleared of a double murder circa 2015.

Now we have whomever our no. one pick is in addition to him.

Again, assuming he did not do such an action.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    There were three eyewitnesses who said he didn't do anything, Conley said he asked the woman to leave the hotel room. She wouldn't talk to the police, he will get drafted no arrest have been made.

13. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I think this will put any team that even thinks about drafting him in a tough spot. The accusation is there, no charges have been filed yet.
    I think this is a little different than then former situations with Ben. He was already on the team at the time. But to knowingly draft a guy when there's the possibility that he could be charged with sexual assault sends a message that the team is okay with it. I think the guy is toxic right now, even if the accusations are false.
    I say he goes undrafted and a team signs him to a contract with the caveat that if there is any charges the offer is rescinded.

14. coldrolled

Dec 1, 2014
    If he goes undrafted.. then after he is cleared... the supplemental draft will place him in the browns lap picking number 1.

15. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    No.... He'll be an UDFA

Cajun

16. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Dallas didn't take Collins and if he drops out of the draft we can't "nab" him.... He'll be an UDFA and will have total control on where he goes...... He gets to pick what offer he gets from teams offering.....

Collins chose Dallas

Cajun

17. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I had Conley ranked #2 possible #1 CB.....

No way he should be drafted now.....

If he's found innocent then the accuser should be arrested and charged, hopefully spends some jail time... This isn't a game and using these fabricated Accusations for personal vengefulness should be criminal.

If he's guilty let the legal process proceed and his NFL career should be over.

Cajun

18. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
  19. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    If the rape kit tests positive for his DNA and the vagina shows signs of forcible penetration he is pretty much guilty, even if a team drafts him and charges are filed against him he is going to be suspended indefinitely by the league......

20. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Disagree, just because there is DNA and "other signs " does not prove rape. These other signs are commonly present in consensual sex, " quickies" and " rough sex" or even sex where she isn't adequately "turned on" can produce these other signs.

This happened 2 weeks ago, and still hasn't been questioned or charged...... Hmmm.....

Cajun

21. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    But she is claiming rape, not consensual or a quickie as you call it, if it goes to trial he will have to prove he didnt rape her, if a DA prosecutes, his lawyers will have to debunk all of her statements and accusations, right now every thing is pending kit results and an investigation........

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Burden of proof is on the prosecution, not the accused.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I would guess that's why there haven't been charges..... maybe the other occupants of the room debunked her story or there was video that said otherwise, or they didn't have enough evidence to charge him. Looks like the investigation might have started immediately but a reporter just found the police report recently, but if they haven't talked to him in 2 weeks.....since the alleged incident..... that would seem strange.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Dallas also needed a contingency plan for Doug Free at the time. They found Collins and have benefited from it.

Should Conley be picked up by Pittsburgh or he elects to choose at his leisure, a similar scenario could play out if found innocent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. coldrolled

Dec 1, 2014

So he is working on this with Belicheat... i love conspiracy...