1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

~ OFFICIAL 2017 TSF.COM FANTASY DRAFT STEELERS VOTING & DISCUSSION ~

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 8, 2017.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was going to vote for him at 3b, but while you're mentioning him...PFF said he only missed 4 of the 70 solo tackles he attempted and allowed only .33 yards per coverage snap from the slot last year. Pretty impressive.

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I really want to go CB here but I am very nervous of guys who have good combines and their stock rise. Found this on him and it really makes me wonder is he our guy here:

Sources say that Griffin didn't play up to his combine speed in college as he was beaten deep and his instincts were off. Thus, they had given him late-round grades

Is Douglas a better option:
    Sources say that Douglas has good size to him for the NFL, and they see him being a big press-man corner with ball skills. He also has early round potential, but sources say that since Douglas is a 1-year wonder, there is some risk to him. Douglas had some highlights and lowlights at the Senior Bowl. He is a very scheme-specific kind of player, and that could cause him to slide in the 2017 NFL Draft.

Or how about Myrick, I feel like Griffin is a reach here no? Again I really think we need to go CB but also need to get value, thoughts?

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    His film doesn't lie. If he were 2 inches taller and 10-15 lbs. heavier, we might be talking about a Top 15 pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Saw a Steeler scout watching him at the Miami pro day sooo:beg:

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Douglas predominantly played zone at WVU whereas Myrick played press a lot, but he's only 5'9. So I guess if you are debating between the two, do you go with the guy with size and zone experience - Douglas or the guy with press experience but smaller - Myrick? Would you be looking at Myrick as our slot CB?

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    For those who dismiss Elder based on size, I'll remind you that Malcolm Butler measured 5'9 1/2", 187 at his pro day. Oh, and he ran a 4.62 second 40. So sometimes the whole height/weight/speed thing can be overrated.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He was always a mid rounder, so his stock didnt rise in our mock, will it in the real draft? Who knows.

They are referring to his game against Michigan but his tape over all is good. Everyone is entitled to a bad game.

He's a high character guy, good head on his shoulders, hard worker. Here's a little write up on him:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...uck-by-his-twin-now-nfl-teams-are-catching-up

And no, I dont think Douglas is a better option.

8. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    My vote: Jourdan Lewis...seems like the best press corner left on the board, and it's sounding like they want to move to some more of that coverage. His legal matter will be behind him before long and he can focus on football.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  9. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Why isn't there a post about free beer this round?

10. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm going with this guy based on his name alone. It's kind of like that song "A Boy Named Sue", RIP Mr. Cash. Sue grows up to be a bad ass cause of his name. With a name like Corn... Forget about it. Midnight beer logic!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I any CB we draft would start as a slot guy and then we will see what happens, so he needs to be able to play both imo. I really want a guy with ball skills, a ball hawk kind of guy then I look at size. I prefer a guy 6' but will not throw a guy out cause he is 5 10, however the 5 7 guys I do not want, jmo.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    What I was referring to was this:

3/25/17: There wasn't much of a buzz about Griffin heading into the combine, but Griffin used the big stage to show off an impressive skill set. The 6-foot, 194-pounder has good size, but surprised by illustrating special speed with a 4.38-second time in the 40-yard dash. Griffin also has good length and moved well in the field drills. His impressive combine could cause teams to take a second look at him and reevaluate where they would take him.

I am not a big fan of guys who weren't on teams radar until they come to the combine and then have big days. I have read several times that this kid do play to his 40 time. I don't know much about him, I like his size and I like that he has ball skills and I like that he tackles. We are looking at drafting him here in the 3rd when everything I have read has him in the 4-6 range. Not that that is correct I am just worried we are reaching here, but like I said we really need to go CB here.

I am leaning his way as the options are slim, I don't want Lewis with the off field stuff and then his height weight. I am so confused on who to vote for........:facepalm:

13. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    IMO, if you have the time to groom a player, kinda like Aaron Rodgers when Favre was still around, you could draft someone like Douglas and teach him the fundamentals of playing more press man. He may not end up as the best in the league at it, but that IS something that is somewhat teachable.

But I also believe that the time is now, and they don't have time to wait. They need players who are ready to contribute immediately at some of these positions. So far, I believe both of our picks are day 1 starters if need-be

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    There's one game of Griffin's on draft breakdown. You can see some good traits, but the overall tape shows a guy who is a long way from putting it all together at the college level- never mind the NFL level. I found myself saying "this guy ran a sub 4.4???" He looks slower on film. Just my opinion, and one game is not enough of a sample set for a definitive grade - but it's all I've got available.

• Like Like x 1
  15. centralpa007

centralpa007 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Voting for Howard Wilson CB - looks like he has the physical traits we are coveting, just needs some experience.

16. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Not really a fan of any of these CBs at this point in the draft. but if that's who our options are I guess I'll vote for

Jourdan Lewis

17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    My vote goes for west Virginia cb Rasul Douglas

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Seems like most are on page with getting a CB. Here are some of the testing #s that I could find. Best #s in bold...Definitely not the be all, end all for drafting though, just some additional info in case one is drafted in the real thing..

Shaq Griffin- 4.38 40, 38-1/2 vert, 17 reps, 4.14 shuttle, 6.87 3 cone 132 broad (combine)

Corn Elder-4.55 40 (combine) 4.45 40 (pro day) Not sure why he didn't test in others...

Jourdan Lewis- 4.54 40, 34-1/2 vert, 15 reps 121 broad (combine) 4.45 40, 6.88 3 cone (pro day)

Rasul Douglas- 4.59 40, 33-1/2 vert, 16 reps, 4.26 shuttle, 6.97 3 cone 120 broad (combine) 4.57 40 (pro day)

Howard Wilson- 4.57 40, 33-1/2 vert, 3.94 shuttle, 6.68 3 cone 119 broad (combine) 4.58 40 (pro day) Healthy at pro day but refused to do drills even at the scouts urging.

19. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Sorry late to the discussion, but those CB's seem to be much later round options. Highest I saw them rated was 5th round. I was evaluating CB's for my Seattle pick and couldn't justify a 3rd rounder on any of those guys.

How about a WR, say Isaiah Ford WR Virginia Tech? MB is still an unknown and the rest of the WR's have problems with the dropsies.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We view the combine differently. And what you call "wasn't on anyones radar" probably refers to the website analysts. Teams are well aware of these guys as they have been scouting them all year as opposed to a couple months before the draft.

When there isn't a lot of tape on a guy, I have to try and match up what I read and see at the combine to what film there is. He was beat badly for a TD in that Arkansa game that his safety whiffed on the tackle. Should have been a short gain. Other than that, I though he looked pretty good.

I'm not going to pimp him to the end of the world, someone threw Wilson into the mix, I almost went with him, he'd be a good choice too.

I'm not high on taking a slot guy here like Corn, in the real draft, I'll be disappointed if we dont grab an outside corner before rd 4.

21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    There was a worse play in that game where he had the deep outside zone and was late recognizing the combo route. He was beaten badly by the inside receiver running up the sideline, and the play should have been an easy TD but for a bad throw and a drop by the receiver. There were a couple of other times when he also looked slow to diagnose when in zone, and slow to respond to runs to his side. One tape is not a career, but I didn't feel so good about what I saw in the mental aspect of his performance in that game. I'd take him later as a developmental prospect, but in the 3rd round I'd rather get a guy who will help Day 1 like a Lewis or Elder (or Kazee who is gone in our mock). Those guys are all 5'10", but they've had success both outside and in the slot, they've had success in man and zone (to varying degrees), they tackle and they show football IQ. Those guys are Day 1 competitors for the #3/nickel, and probably upgrades over an aging Gay by Week 5 or 6. Just my view.

22. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I'm still waiting for directions. He said we'd have to drive to Binghamton, and that would only take me 10 minutes.

BTW, I'm going with Jourdan Lewis, CB.

• Like Like x 1
  23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Sorry folks but I'm going to have to change my vote from Griffin to Elder. Hate to be that guy lol. I too was going off the one game on DBD and by the interest the Steelers showed pre-draft. But I watched that game again and found another on youtube and saw a lot of the same things that I didn't like in the first one. Just very little effort in chasing plays and in run support. Pass coverage is hard to determine as they don't show the angles very often. Speed is great, but I will value effort and tenacity over measurables when looking at CBs in this particular instance.

Vote changed to Corn Elder..

Marlon Mack had a couple nice runs here too...

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Oh wow man you passing thru or from around here? I work in Binghamton (kinda I travel a lot)but don't live here. Let me know I am not one to welch on a beer......

My vote is for Shaquill Griffin basically cause he is the best of the bunch from what I have read. For the record I don't like the options here and if this is the way it goes for real I will be sick. This is kinda why we shouldn't go OLB in the first round. Look at the options left at olb, Phillips and Smoot imo are better value right here than any of these CB's, that's JMO.

25. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    As I look at this mock draft, there have been a lot of edge rushers and corners that have gone off the board. I looked at other positions to see if someone is falling to us, but I did not see anyone that stood out from a crowd. I am casting my vote for Jourdan Lewis. Hopefully his Steelers visit went well and he answered the questions about the domestic assault issue that pleased the brass. I like some of Griffin's measurables, but I think the 3rd round is a slight reach for him. Amara Darboh, WR, from Michigan is my second choice for 3a, hopefully he will be there for 3b.