1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead (no comics spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Show.... about..... zombies

2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You'd think they'd have played off that parting badge shot. Possibly something coming up this week. Interesting.

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

The fact that you CHOOSE to use sling box has no bearing on this or any other show. If you have to jump through hoops or wait to watch the show that's on you and you alone.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I watch movies or tv to escape so to speak. Not to nitpick it to death to the point it's no longer enjoyable. If you wanted to coMplain about the deer it would probably make more sense to say a deer wouldn't be anywhere near the horde of zombies. Wild animals have a tendency to haul ass when humans are near. While the zombies are certainly no longer human they still have a human form and eat the deer as we've scene in prior episodes. But of course that part is ignored despite the fact it's completely unrealistic and it's oh noes the sky is falling they used a cgi deer.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Then don't come to this thread then.

The fact that you CHOOSE Come to a thread where people NITPICK a show and get upset with people is on you and you alone...

You know what you're going to get when you come in here and assuming other people don't watch a show to enjoy it other than to nitpick is asinine.

I did notice you skipped the obvious no walls around a motor park facade.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah Blast, one of my biggest complaints, is how short the seasons are, especially, when they break them up into "mid-season" finales, and the endless commercials that are put into every episode.

I guess I got spoiled, because I got introduced to the show, by watching them on DVD, with no commercials...

Anyhow...

I guess I see the show completely different from you, based on the words I highlighted in red...

I see it as it showing how humans are brutal against other humans, throughout, with zombies, or without...

I don`t think there will ever be a "solution" to the zombies...

We had a chance to "remake" our world, however we wanted it, because of the "zombie takeover'...

We could form our own "governments", "alliances".. whatever you wanted to call them..

Some people, like Rick and his group, decided to try to band together, and help each other...

Other people, like "The Governor", and Negan, chose to take the opportunity to rise to power, and control other people...

You could probably say this about "Janis", or "Gregory"(from Hilltop), although I think he is a flat out pussy, that can`t do it...

My point is, we had a chance to rebuild our world, but, human nature, being what it is,

wound up fighting against each other, for our "slice of the pie"...

Zombies didn`t have **** to do with that, they were just another "threat" that had to be eliminated,

Like snakes, bears, crocodiles, or any other animal, that could eat us...

We can kill them easily enough,

But trying to deal with each other, and negotiating truces, etc..?!?

That`s the real *****, and that`s where this show is going, and I love it!!!!

Zombies are easy....Hack em in the head.....

People are a pain in the ass!!!!:eek::hmm:

Edit...

And because I didn`t make my point clear... it was...

This is how it`s always been....
    Without zombies...

Man has been fighting man forever...

ask the Egyptians, or Cavemen, we didnt need Zombies to get into WWI or WWII...:shrug:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011

Definitely agree on what the show is about. That's why the writing matters. This is essentially a drama story about Rick and son with people they've met along the way. The show runners have said as much.

They throw the action in, but that's really not the main focus of the story. The zombies are just the visual representation of what they've lost and the problems they face if they want to grow.

Problem with this season is it feels like they're writing to get to the set piece action sequences (making crap fit where it doesn't) instead of writing the story and seeing where the action develops from the story. Does that make sense?

Sort of this character needs to be in X position for X action. Instead of writing to that character's motivations that you've already established in the 6 prior seasons, you do something wonky just to get them there.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually the writers said its more than just a zombie story, its a story about humanity and the problems they face in the new world but zombies is very much the heart of the show and what drives everything else.

When I said its a show about zombies, I meant try not to get hung up on details like "walls" and "shell casings", you can wrap your head around dead people eating the faces off of the living but minute details trips you up.

8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Everyone is going to spot details that throw them off. It's the nature of people.

I know people that love the Pearl Harbor movie remake. I can't stand it because it's doesn't even try to be period correct. I see Vietnam era ships and radars from the 70's with no smoking the entire movie. Pulls me out of it.

I listen to several podcasts and every one of them finds something they have an issue with.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Terrible movie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    As long a we're picking nits, it always bugs me how squishy a walker's head is. Are their skulls made of paper mache? I tried to reconcile it by thinking that the skulls deteriorate once they zombify, but even a fresh 5 minutes old walker has a paper thin skull.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Put Kate Beckinsale in any movie and I'll watch it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah they kind of address it, but then ignore their own rules later for dramatic effect. I think Rick and them talked about fresh ones and older ones at some point.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Thanks! You just ruined the entire series for me! :zombat:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I've had the same thought. I just ignore it, but it still occurs to me when I see how easily they cut through a skull like it's just thick skin or muscle.

15. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    There were a few way too convenient timing things going on, but I'm going to let them slide because... hot damn! What an episode.

They pulled from the comics very nicely, and improvised on them a tad, but it worked. I just hope they can keep up the momentum going forward. I won't say more tonight just in case people haven't watched yet.

16. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I hate to say this, but I'm disappointed with last night's episode. Yes, there were nice cool dramatic effects, lots of action, a twist and a cool monologue at the end but we are not much further in the story then we were at the beginning of the season. We're like back at square one. They are leading up to something to what I thought was going to be in THIS episode. :hmm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup, like Shiva only attacking the Saviors but I agree, overall, thought it was great. I knew the junkyard gang couldn't be trusted. When they walked into Alexandria, I was like, gee guys, you just gave them the keys to your place AND armed them.

Sad to see Sasha go but went out a hero. I hadn't thought her plan all the way through, I thought Rick and everyone would just see her dead, think Negan killed her and then just flip out and start fighting back.

Now we have to wait till October!

18. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Good episode, easily the best of the season, except for maybe the opener. I agree with niterider, though; I was expecting a little more resolution. I wasn't expecting Negan to die, but I was expecting more than what happened.

I also thought we'd just see Sasha dead, and Rick would go off. Didn't think about her being a walker in the casket. That was a nice reveal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not sure why some of you expected more resolution. It's a WAR that's starting. Negan has vastly superior numbers (and resources). This was never going to end in a skirmish.

That's like expecting Lexington and Concord to expel the British and solidify America's Independence. These are only the first shots in a much larger conflict.

Next year will be "All Out War." It should be more action based than this year, and faster paced for those who thought this year slowed down too much.

Loved Negan flipping them the bird while they're raining a barrage of gunfire at him. :lolol:

(I *almost* had Sasha's reveal guessed. Never expected a coffin though. In the comics, Holly had a sack over her head. Negan was "giving" her back to Rick and it was a trick as she had already turned (which Negan knew very well). Rick was the one surprised and almost bitten when he took the sack off her head. But they already did something way too similar on Fear the Walking Dead, so I figured they'd have to improv on it. And watching it, I liked this version better.)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  20. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    In hind sight, it makes sense the way it played out. I think the way that they started the season off kind of set in my mind (and others I've spoken to) that the season would end with Rick's group getting their revenge. But, I also figured Negan is way too good of a character to just be done with him so soon

and even though I'm reading the comics, I'm not as far along as I'm am on the TV show, but I do know how things play out with Negan in the comics

But yeah, they basically set up for the big war to be next season, where from the start of this season and the way it started, I thought the war would be how the season ended.

21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    After reflection, I think the season finale was good enough for those who have enjoyed the season (like me), and will continue to fuel the fire of discontent for those who have been critical. Personally, I enjoyed it but there were things that I could have done without like the Sasha/Abe flashbacks and the mega-cheesy dramatic effect of the tiger jumping a savior at JUST the right moment. They're all minor quibbles though. I am glad as hell that they didn't clumsily bring the conflict with Negan and the saviors to an end. All out war next season will be perfect. We know that Alexandria will win, because hey - it's TV and the good guys always win in the end, but I want to experience the season long struggle. I would have been pissed had we gotten instant gratification with an end to the conflict.

For those saying there was no resolution, I completely disagree. Alexandria had been eating a big old horkin :poopy: sandwich for the entire season. The tide has now turned. Instead of groveling, they now have the resources to fight, and they now understand a lot more about what they're up against. That's the resolution. Season 7 was necessary to set up Season 8.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, There wasn't resolution as you'd normally call it, but maybe more of a resolution to going to war. If that makes sense.

Finally, they tied up the death we all knew was coming (by her own hand) and the Abraham love triangle.

Opens up some new twists with the trashy folks and their disappearing ways. Makes sense about the wanting more guns from Rick now. (Still can't stand the talking though) that number 12 came up again. Wonder what the deal was for? They must know that helping Negan doesn't mean he'll leave them alone now that he knows they're there.

Wonder if they change Alexandria's fate in the show to another place since it's probably the more expensive set?

Would be nice to know how many Negan got away with. Looked like he may have had more than 20 with him. Makes no sense to only go with that many when he had all of them in on the original Rick neutering.

Pleased with the action sequences though, except Michonne getting her ass whipped by that girl. I know, I know...she ended up on top, but that was ticking me off a bit. I want her to be superwoman sometimes.

23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    My guess - and it's not informed by anything since I don't read the comics - is that the deal was for 12 Alexandrians, possibly as a food source.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Gnarly

:puking 4:

25. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, I actually said I was expecting a little more resolution, not that there wasn't any resolution.

• Agree Agree x 1