1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers second round target?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Mar 3, 2017.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Michael Roberts TE Toledo 6'6 270 he had 16 TDs last season. He has been described as being a good blocker also, with LeDarius Green concussion issues I could see them drafting a TE.

2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'm curious to see some tape on him.

3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    steelersdepot.com
    They have some of his highlights on here, the Steelers interviewed him at the combine.

4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If they're interested fine, and things may change after the combine, but I've only seen him in the fourth and fifth round. Howard, Njoku, Engram, Everett, Shaheen, Butt, Hodges are all ahead of him, at a minimum. And if we're really looking for a tight end, we already have him, a great blocking tight end who can catch in JJ. What we need is someone to take over for Green when he's concussed, a great receiving tight end who can (on occasion) block.

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Engram is undersized for a TE, JJ isn't great at anything especially blocking. Roberts had 16 TDs last season that's a receiving TE, the second round might be too early for him depends on how he test in the workouts.

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Marcus Williams Safety Utah

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Michael Roberts looked good in the all star game and practices. Plus my niece goes to Toledo so there's that:lolol:

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i hope they look at plinke from utep. better speed and can block. not sure why he's not ranked a little higher than he is. waiting to see his numbers. our ex-o-line coach should be able to give us some insight on him too. should be a day 3 guy as of right now. getting one high though is interesting with what we have already.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/player/hayden-plinke/

:cool:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Roberts didn't run well, he probably will be drafted after the 4th rd 4.86 isn't good.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    2nd Round?

Jordan Willis please.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would be pissed if they took Willis in the second. I just don't see it on film. He has straight line speed and that's cool but that's not what he's doing on the field at his position. I will have to watch some more but there are soooo many other guys I would target in the 2nd, he's not even close at this point.

I would take Tyus Bowser in a heartbeat if he's there in the 2nd

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    This draft is so loaded with good DBs this year teams cant hardly miss drafting a good safety or corner in the first 5 rounds, and we have two 3rd round picks to solidify our secondary if we go for another position in the 1st and second round....

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe Alvin Kamara can be the RB people are looking for to spell Bell. Would prefer him in the 3rd though with 2 picks but he won't last, probably won't last until us in the 2nd either.

Personally, I dont think it matters who they take at RB, they aren't taking Bell off the field but would be nice to have a guy that can do similar things if Bell misses games. Or if they split Bell out wide, they can insert this kid at RB in certain packages.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason I stated Willis haha.

I never stated Bowser was inferior to Willis. I am under the assumption currently that Bowser will be long gone by then. If not Willis, Derek Rivers then.

Now... if not him.... BPA.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I know, I was just giving an alternative to an edge pick instead of Willis.

Overall, if we stay at our pick in the second round as it currently stands I would love to get one of these guys -

Marcus Williams S
    Tyus Bowser OLB
    Derek Rivers OLB
    Jaleel Johnson DT
    Raekwon McMillan LB
    Cam Sutton CB
    Desmond King CB/S
    Chris Godwin WR (he keeps rising up for me lol, like my Sterling Shepard love last year)

Still a lot of guys I need to watch but those are my fave's right now

16. britishsteel

britishsteel Active Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Would love Budda Baker, from the film I have seen has a Steeler attitude and could be another #43.

17. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Like your list a lot. Would add Marcus Maye S, and Cordrea Tankersly(like him a lot. Even before he ran 4.4 flat)

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Tbh, I would go John Johnson out of BC before I'd go Maye. And Johnson could be had in the 4-5th round range I think. Maye seems more SS suited on my limited viewing of him, but I've only seen a couple games...

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I've watched a couple of his games. My first impression is that he's a 4-3 end only - very "straight linish" kind of player. He seems better as a run defender than a pass rusher.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    exactly, when QBs start doing 9 step drops then he'd be set

21. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    if we go edge rusher in the first, then i'm sure we go cb in the 2nd and vice versa

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    There's a wide range on Bowser, some big boards have him rated at #50 others in the 200's. Why do you think there's such a disparity in his ranking by the different big boards?

23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Probably because he was asked to play a lot in coverage...so his pass rushing and run stopping may be in question :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    dual sport athlete (basketball) so his movement skills in space are more developed than rushing the passer. Rushing the passer and the stats that come with it will have a lot to do with how the OLB rankings are dictated imo. If the big boards are judging by numbers, he may be lower. If judging by upside, he would be higher. Just my take.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Mainly due to the fact that being raw as sushi when it comes to pass rushing raises questions about his immediate impact.

Nowadays, having instant impact rookies further increase a teams chances of success should those teams needs be dire. In the case of Tyus Bowser, one could say he is a "boom or bust" prospect due to his immense potential but below average pass rushing ability.

Granted.. being raw is not the only way one can be considered "raw". Someone likr Jordan Willis can also be in question based on his pass rushing skills. He looks stiff on tape but is quite agile and flexible based on his combine performance. His issue will be putting it all together to make himself a solid starter. Otherwise, a workout warrior who is depth and nothing more.