1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

PSU Chris Godwin vs USC JuJu Smith Schuster

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Feb 22, 2017.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Unabashed Nebraska fan and so I wanted WR Quincy Enunwa in the 2014 draft. I was OK with a 7th round selection. Killer in the blocking game and decent hands. He finally broke through this year with the Jets.

Two guys in his mold but a lot more regarded are Godwin and Schuster. Two of my favorite WRs this year (but I haven't studied all of them yet). Chris Godwin has the most "contested" catches this year. Godwin is listed as 6'1" 205 and Schuster at 6'2" 220. They both take their roles as downfield blockers seriously, which is nice to see. Schuster is the 9th ranked WR while Godwin is the 14th ranked by CBS.

Neither has that downfield speed threat but they are more suited for that WR #2 role. Hard workers that you tend to root for on Sundays. Are either of these guys a favorite? I would lean toward Godwin as he really has made some difficult catches off deflections and I like that focus. Plus he could be had in a round or two later than Schuster just due to school name, biased as that is to some. IF the Steelers went WR for one of their draft picks, I would be ecstatic with either of these two. Godwin in the 4th would be an unattended beer truck in a dark alley.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I take your not counting on Bryant being back with the Steelers Turtle?

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i like jamari staples from louisville late. size, speed and not afraid to go over the middle. probably a 6th rounder? :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    No I am counting on his return and think he will have a great year. But his future is unreliable and I don't think Coates is the answer. Basically just playing the "what if the Steelers grab a WR early" game. I think these two guys fit on this team, they aren't burners but very solid overall.

5. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I have run a lot of simulations and read a lot of mocks, and honestly, I think the 4th round is where the best value is this year at WR. There are just a LOT of guys who are going to be in that range. They have flaws, but you look for someone who fits into your system and you go with it. I expect us to take a WR in the 4-6th round.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    this draft is very deep with wr's. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would put Godwin in that 4th round range, but I think Schuster goes higher.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    A very good looking prospect, I agree. Found a stat where he had 0 drops over the final 8 games of 2015 on 59 targets. Schuster had 5 drops over that span on 82 targets. Staples is 6'4" so he's a big target as well. He'll be at the combine so I'll have to check out his numbers.

9. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Got my eyes on Carlos Henderson and Kenny Golladayin possibly the 4th round. If Dede Westbrook or Isaiah Ford were still there in the 3rd(wont be) that would be optimal.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No early picks on WRs please, we need defense early in the draft like they did last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I could see a wr added very very late. Colbert knows how to evaluate the WR position.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea, he's done fine with wheaton, bryant, coates and DHB.:smiley1::cool:

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Schuster is my pick over any receiver in this draft, I had the pleasure of watching him during his 3 years at USC and he is the real deal, he scored 25 TDs 5 TDS as a frehman, 10 TDs each over the last two seasons, he has great hands and gets to the end zone more likely than not, he's a great possession receiver in the mold of anquon boldin when he was younger, he's fast enough and big enough to be that threat we want, cant wait to see his 40 times at the combine, scouts say he will jump up the draft board if he turns in a 4.5 40, but even if he runs a 4.6 thats what boldin ran at the combine and boldin was 6-1 220 when he was drafted, so Schuster is my draft pick if we get a shot at drafting him, as for Godwin, average at best he might get drafted as late as the 5th or 6th round......

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  14. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If Bryant comes back, there's not enough spots for a WR drafted early. If Coates can rebound from his late season struggles, the Steelers have enough talent at the WR Rogers, Hamilton, Ayers, DHB to go along with AB.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If Bryant comes back, there's not enough spots for a WR drafted early. If Coates can rebound from his late season struggles, the Steelers have enough talent at the WR Rogers, Hamilton, Ayers, DHB to go along with AB.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Nothing against Cobi Hamilton as I thought he was serviceable last year, but he could definitely be upgraded and I'm sure everyone knows my view on Coates. I don't think a WR being taken is out of the realm of possibilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    My thoughts exactly, but Bryant is really the big question mark. Plus he has been away from real competition
    for a year, it maybe hard to shake off the rust. If Bryant does come back there really is not enough footballs to warrant another
    WR selection unless it is BPA and this would have to be really really late.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Wow Mac, that is harsh, but you seemingly forgot a 6 round selection who happens to be a SUPERSTAR HOF candidate.
    I see three names above that can be very good NFL players, and another that is very good on ST's.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the green fonts were missed ward? to be honest though not every wr we pickup is gold like most people on here think. it's just not that simple. we also have a damn fine wr coach that has improved the whole group on the field and a franchise qb to throw to these guys. would they still be as good without those two things? as colbert has said the late round picks are mostly the scouts picks. our 6th rounder was a pretty good college player too up there in michigan. it's not like he just came out of nowhere.

just saying everybody thinks we can just pick a wr any time we want and we have a knack for it. we have had HOF wr's before colbert got here. :smiley1: :cool:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  21. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Hey mac, this is a forum allowing us to voice our opinion on our favorite team, I enjoy debating /talking football with you guys and ladies.
    It helps me form a a much broader perspective hearing peoples opinion's.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    ditto my friend. it's all good.:smiley1::cool:

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Especially if there is a high octane run on edge rushers. Both the combine and free agency will be most interesting indeed.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we had trouble throwing deep last year and i do think it was a major reason we lost to NE. the defense was some of the problem but they were on the field a lot. our numbers were way down throwing deep and with as much money as we have on offense and the way we have set the team up for the offense to outscore opponents, i wouldn't be a bit surprised by a deep threat being added. we would find room.

so many if's on offense again won't help us. green, bryant, bell might need surgery and might not need surgery. all this adds up to yes we could add a threat very easily and the way this draft looks we could still draft defense but it wouldn't have to come in the first round. add to what is supposed to be the strength and then bolster with solid players on the defense. i don't see a lot of difference makers and play makers in the first that wouldn't be available in the 2nd or 3rd or 3rd or even 4th round of this draft. at least where we are picking in these rounds. :cool:

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Godwin ran a 4.42 at the combine, Smith-Schuster ran a 4.56 :shrug:. I like Godwin better he makes those contested catches.

• Agree Agree x 1