1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Villenueva

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Feb 16, 2017.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Jus to read they are gonna sign him long term! That's great news but anyone have any idea on what he will get or is wanting.? Any chance that will effect Bell or brown?

Does it hurt Timmons chance too?

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not worried about it, I think they can take care of who they need too. Probably in better shape than they ever have been.

I think Timmons can only hurt Timmons chances.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Out of any of em, I believe soldier man is more than grateful for his opportunity, and will NOT cry, fight, or hold em ransom. I'm sure it'll be more than fair for both sides

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If they do sign him, AV won't get what the elite LT get.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He's truly one of the great stories in the NFL in a long time. An article I read yesterday said they should make a movie about him and I agree.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    sounds like they are gonna let Timmons test the FA market. i think thats the smart thing to do. maybe someone throws a bunch of money at him or maybe theres not much interest and the Steelers can resign him.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Let Timmons test FA to ensure that offensive line is going to be stabilized.

The hope is that the defense will be where it needs to be for Bens heir apparent and the offensive line will still be intact by then as well.

A strong defense with a good rushing attack served Ben well during the early years of his career. Much of the same will serve whomever that person is when Ben finally decides to ride off into the sunset.

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    LT is one of the highest paid positions on the Offense, the top 15 tier has contracts ranging from a high of 97 mill with some 60 and 80 mill deals sprinkled in there along with some 50 and 45 mill contracts, then there is the lower priced contracts for mostly players playing under the rookie cap, to put AV into a long term deal he should get a 35 to 40 mill deal for 5 or 6 years to rank him into the top 20 playing at that position...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Steeler wire:
    One way the NFL makes up for low-paid players who play regularly for their teams is the performance-based bonus program. In that, players contracted to make less than a certain amount of money in that season but play a large amount are due extra cash.

One of the biggest beneficiaries of that program is Steelers left tackle Alejandro Villanueva, who took home an additional $309,834.87, according to USA TODAY Sports’s Tom Pelissero.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't see the Steelers giving AV 35-40 million, let him play out his tender for 2017. They have too many other guys to take care of, like AB, Bell, and Tuitt. I think AV is over 30 already, they might be grooming Jerald Hawkins for his spot.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    AV is 28, just hitting his prime.

12. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I would like to see us give him a good front end heavy contract with a very big signing bonus. He is good enough he could have held out. I once heard him say, "hey, I'm the cheapest left tackle in football and I am so thankful the Steelers signed me" Either way I see the Steelers signing him. We didn't chase Beacham for a reason

13. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    His contract ended in 2016, he has no 2017 tender, they announced they want to sign him long term and I believe they will but he has to be paid as a starter at least top 20, and they cant be too much of a scrooge if they want him to start which he has surely earned that right......

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he's an ERFA in 2017 diamond. the steelers hold all the cards for him. i think they like him well enough to pay him more than they have to this year and they should. :cool:

15. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I was the first one that posted he was ERFA in 17, and if he wasnt a starter they could have given him a vet mini contract and he would have to take it or leave the NFL, but his status now is a starting LT, and like I said in another post they will be fair with him on a new contract long term, everybody here thinks because they have to sign AB and Bell that none of the other players can get a new fair contract, that just isnt true, bell will be tagged at 12 mill and AB doesnt have to get a 75 mill deal just to make him the highest paid receiver in the league, give him a back loaded cap friendly 60 mill deal or trade him off if he doesnt like it........

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think he has earned his money as well..I think the 40 to 50 mil range for him is probably right ...I think AB wants top dollar and I hope they don't pay it..AB put down his QB when LJ had to play..AB complained about not getting enough targets..AB shows he is a me first guy by celebrating and costing his defense ...AB in the Locker Room filming was a total disrespect to his Coach and his Team Mates ...His talent may command top money ,but his me attitude does not...