1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Should Sign A Wide Receiver

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Feb 13, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Why so many people want to write Coates off after lacerating his hand pretty bad is unbeknownst to me? :hmm:

Coates was doing well before the injury and led the league in catches of 20 yards or more if I recall at some point. No reason to get rid of him.

A better topic of discussion is which round do we elect to spend a tight end?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i like Jesse James. i think hes basically Heath 2.0. im pretty sure most people around here were pretty happy with what Miller brought to the table. i think James can be just as good and maybe even better in the passing game. i think TE should be low on the priority list. much more pressing needs on defense.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm thinking of a guy like Pierre Garcon. He runs good routes, has good hands and fights for the ball, can play on the outside, not just a slot guy.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like James too but Green had 304 yards on 18 receptions in 2 games whereas James had 338 yards on 39 receptions in 13 starts.

Thats why I want a Green type TE, thats what they can do for you.

Also while James can match Heath in the passing game, he's not even on the same planet as a blocker. Furthermore, I dont think James is as good as sitting down in those soft spots like Heath was, not yet anyway.

5. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    James and Grimble are adequate enough IMO that even if Green is done they can be solid players. Coates just had hernia surgery so apparently he had a lot of injuries. I think he will bounce back, if any WR is signed maybe just take back Wheaton on a 1 yr prove it deal.

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

My opinion is we don't need to sign a guy I think AB, Bryant, Coates, Rogers, Ayers, Hamilton and a draft pick would be enough, don't you?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I say we should sign all of the Chesapeake Bayhawks immediately.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I am a Jesse James fan too. We're good there

9. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    And damn near broke the team with medical bills and pain pills. Green can leave.

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    If JUJu Smith Schuster is on the board in round two we need to draft him, even if we have to trade up to get him he is a big 6-2 220 receiver that defenders have a hard time defending................

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
  13. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    If they do draft a WR I hope it will be round 2 or later. Zay Jones would be a steal out of east carolina. He will not be there though. He owns most receptions in the NCAA. Justin Hardey broke it last year. He also played at east carolina. Alum are just a few. Dwane Harris, Earnest Byner, Terry Long, Jeff Blake, David Gerod not sure of the spelling. Couldn't post it to read. Here is a link of ECU players drafted in the NFL
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/eastcarolina/drafted.htm

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I really feel we are fine with what we have at WR right now and if anyone has a question about Bryant then why not look at Cordarrelle Patterson? He has a ton of potential, he is still young(26) and also returns kicks which we have been looking long and hard for. I think Patterson have taken a hit some of his own doing but some cause the QB position hasn't exactly been good. I think this is a low risk him reward type signing and really worth a look at. jmo

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I loved what I saw out of Jones at the Senior Bowl but I think his stock has really went up and in the 2nd round when we pick he probably won't be there. jmo

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Why has this turned into a draft thread?

We need to SIGN a veteran receiver who can help us NEXT YEAR... not three years from now.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    and he was on the "hands" team for kick return when expecting the onsides kick. I don't get it. And Markus Wheaton has a crooked finger as well from an injury that never healed properly, are the team doctors not suggesting the right things?

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Personally I'm fine with AB84, Bryant and Rogers as 1,2 and 3. If they wanted to add a low cost guy, Justin Hunter from Buffalo may be a nice option as a 4, 5 guy. 6'4" 205 and a world class jumper.

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My only question of Patterson is his hands and well he wasn't known for running crisp routes in Minnesota. Thats why the Jackson suggestion was intriguing he missed limited time for injury the last 5 years and caught everything thrown his way I don't think you can ask for more out of a number 2 guy.

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Maybe your right about Patterson but with AB, Bryant, Rogers Coates and Hamilton in place for next year we aren't looking for more than a #3 WR. Patterson makes perfect sense, he is young offers the kick return ability and can run with the ball too. No to Djax, not interested in #1 the money he will cost cause you don't think Philly with the need at WR isn't going to offer something big and #2 the chance he will have a melt down when he isn't option 1 or 2. jmo

Give Patterson a chance with AB to learn from and a quality offense with a franchise QB and let's see what this kid can do...... There is no risk with this signing only reward, if this kid can play it could be a home run for us.

22. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think you look at the WR position as solid yet vulnerable. If Bryant flunks another test....we have issues again.

I think you look at the TE position as solid yet vulnerable. If Green gets another concussion and missees the year....we have issues again.

I think you look at the RB position as solid yet vulnerable. If Bell gets hurt we are in trouble.

Same can always be said about the QB position, but that is what it is.

You try to mitigate these issues through free agency or the draft. You can't fix them all, but I think you try to fix as many as you can.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Apparently they just can't put a finger on it?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    They favoured a "hands off" approach.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I concur however, I think X man and outlaw are pretty decent tight ends or can very well be. Greens stats were very nice in his limited appearances so you know how things could be but his availability situation isn't very comforting in the least. So wether he can go or not doesn't really worry me. If there is a high ceiling TE available come clock time at the draft, wouldn't hurt my feelings to snatch him but they really don't have a dire need in that situation.

WR... We saw what happens when your loaded at the spot but your #2 prefers to get loaded and the next option mangles his hand and a really good option is a healthy scratch during crunch time. The corp was reduced significantly and quickly... Via injuries and stupidity. Injuries happen and unfortunately stupidity is getting to be about as common as injuries a lot of the time.

RB... Bell is other worldly talent wise, but injuries just keep creeping up at the worst of times it seems. I think he's overused, but you need his results at the same time. Williams was a nice pickup as he was able to keep things going due to injury and suspension, but ultimately his Carolina injury bug followed him to Pitt and Father Time is not on his side. Thing is, bell needs a reduced load and Pitt needs to give someone a chance to give him a blow here and there. Bell would be well served as a decoy time to time... Multiple back sets everyone? Reduces his load, keeps the D guessing and just his threat in those circumstances keeps his play tally up while decreasing his actual work load.

QB... The next heir apparent ain't in the building, but they've shown they can compete with LJ if not ultimately win as ugly as it might get. Pretty safe to presume Ben is gonna miss action here and there and probably should miss more all things being fair and smart but he rushes and the coaches rush him back when they probably should not at times. I'd like to see what the other Berger has moving foreward. Hope he gets some action in pre season with meaningful snaps.

So ultimately... I think we're okay in the status quo scenario. Unless a stud TE falls to them, they need to once again go D heavy in the draft or FA and go BPA in the later rounds on the O side