1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers have started contract talks with Timmons and AB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 13, 2017.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Per Jason LaCanfora of CBS.

2. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Here we go! Gonna be another interesting offseason!

3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have mixed feelings about this as far as Timmons goes. For the record I love what he has done here but I am concerned his speed is a problem. If he comes back at a cap friendly deal I would like it but I feel we need to have another option at ILB as well. Maybe we sign him 1-2 years team friendly and draft a guy and hope LT teaches him good. Anyone else feel like this?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I understand your concern with the speed but even though he has lost a step, he is probably still the 3rd fastest backer we have behind shazier and Dupree. he has a couple high level years left in him.

5. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i know its not just a snap of the fingers and it happens, but i wonder if Timmons can play OLB. hes big, strong and still pretty fast. sometimes you need to think outside the box. like i said, not sure if he can even do it, but maybe worth a look.

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I think he does have a couple years left as well and he did play at a high level down the stretch. I won't be upset if he comes back but it has to be at a team friendly contract, imo. As far as the 3rd fastest I don't believe it, I think Chick and VW are both faster and even MataKevich as slow as he is may give him a run for his money, jmo. With that said if he is our 3rd fastest that's even more reason to let him go....speed speed speed!

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    im okay with resigning Timmons at a much reduced rate. But what I would like to see is the coaching staff not put Timmons and Harrison in a position not to succeed, no way they should be in pass coverage as much as they do. This is not rocket science.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Sign Timmons for 2 years 9 mill, make a best offer deal to AB for 60 mill, and forget about this highest paid 75 million receiver nonsense....

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Its not that simple either. Unless Butler is calling a blitz every time they are on the field, they have no choice to drop into cover when the play dictates it.

10. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    not sure if the coaches can control that. if the opposing team has a good qb he can check out of plays and force those guys to either cover or leave a guy open. thats what separated a good defense from a great one. a great defense has guys that can do both. we saw that the Steelers didnt have that and that was one of their down falls

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    One other thing to keep in mind is that while we are talking upgrade and speed Timmons isn't the only one we need to upgrade.... safety, 3rd DB and OLB. We can't fix it all I don't think but if we mix and match we can get better while still having a guy like Timmons. Lets say we draft a CB in the 1st round our starting corners are set but we ease him into the 3rd CB roll where Gay use to come in and that will help add speed. Yes I know we lose experience but look at how well Burns and Davis came around. If we bring back Timmons we can upgrade other areas and be better as well. Just something to look at from a different angle.......

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Then we will see much of the same Blast. Timmons is great close to the line, in space he is a sitting duck. He is slow footed. He has brought many years of great service but he cannot cover in space anymore. Any opposing defense will see and expose that mismatch. Same with JH. They cannot have him starting again this season but using him for a situational pass rusher and depth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Okay when the play dictates, but what I saw against the Pats was really stupid. How many times did Harrison and Dupree drop into coverage, then they tried to rush Timmons up the middle along with the front 3. They were waiting for the rush up the middle because of how the Texans put pressure up the middle, and Belacheat knew we would try the same.

The biggest problem with it is that when something dosent work we keep doing the same things over and over. Almost like we are too stubborn to make in game adjustments. I thought i read somewhere that against the Pats, our best pass rushers, Harrison and Dupree dropped into coverage 40% of the pass plays, Harrison is too old and slow to be doing that, and Dupree is just not good enough yet in pass coverage.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think you'll see them used as heavily as they were this year, whoever they draft will be getting the bulk of snaps by midseason. Or via FA, however they address those positions.

In regards to Timmons though, the plays that stand out to me that he got burnt on, he was way way down field, I dont think too many LB's are going to fare very well that deep.

15. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    There's only a couple of LBers that can cover deep, panthers Luke Kuechly comes to mind as the best at doing it, for sure old and slow LBs shouldnt be expected to do it........

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Wednesday teams can start franchising players, I expect to see Bell get the tag soon, AV is going to have to be signed soon as well since his contract has expired but AV has the ERFA designation which gives the team exclusive rights to sign him to a new contract:

Exclusive-Rights Free Agents (ERFA)

An Exclusive-Rights Free Agent is an NFL player who is not under contract, but has only two years of NFL experience. If his former club makes him an offer at the three year veteran minimum salary, then that's it, he has to take it or leave the NFL. These guys have no right to negotiate with other teams. They are "free" only in the sense that they're free to quit.

17. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Timmons was picked ahead of Woodly. We now know why. I think he knows he is on the down side (for age). He will be reasonable. Always been there for us

18. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah but if you slap him in the head, he's out 4 to 8 games. Who is he covering then?

19. Diamond

May 26, 2012

In his 5 year career regular season he has 71 starts out of 80 games played, thats not a bad record at all...

career starts-2012 16 games

career starts-2013 16 games

career starts-2014 16 games

career starts-2015 13 games

career starts in-2016-10 games

20. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    2015 and 2016? I live in Carolina. People are worried every time LK takes a hit.
    You say he missed 9 games. Then you tell is he missed 13 games in the last 2 years

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He was an outside pass rusher in college and with the Steelers as a rookie before moving inside. I don't remember if they just thought it was a better fit or finding him a place to play with Woodley and Harrison outside. Perhaps a bit of both.

That said, I don't see the need for a switch now unless Harrison doesn't return.

22. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    He missed 0, 0, 0, 3 and 6 games in those years. Nine in total.

Until his concussion this year (and I believe looked more serious than it was, as the team held him out since their season was over), I don't recall much LK angst.

23. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Fuzzy math on my part. But, I bet next hit in the head he retires

24. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Bet he dont, he loves the game too much plus he has a contract worth 61.8 million$ that locks him up untill 2022..........

25. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    No problem.

And after some googling, I stand corrected. It's his second concussion in two seasons, and there's even chatter among NFL players that he should strongly consider his life's work.