1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben retiring?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Jan 24, 2017.

1. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    It's not a lack of leadership, it's just the state of social media that we live in. If Ben is serious about retirement, he needs to discuss it with Tomlin and Art Rooney II at his exit interview, that hasn't happened yet. It just so happens his weekly radio show happens first. The Steelers can then form proper contingency plans. All this is is a wake up call to the organization that Ben may not finish all 3 years of his contract. He'll play in 2017. ESPN also stated that if Ben retires now, he'll owe the organization $18 million.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I made a post about Jimmy being shopped, they want a first rd pick.

My first thought when hearing that was no way, and I liked Jimmy coming out of college but then after realizing we are picking 30th, I might be up for that.

3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    EJ Manuel looks like a great QB. He's Tall, mobile, athletic. I'm led to believe he has a big arm.

But if you watch the guy, he throws a football like he throwing a dart, like he throwing out of a phone booth. He never sees an open guy deeper than 5 yds downfield. And his 'sense' for pocket pressure is worse than Stevie Wonders. My family lives in Buffalo, they were season ticket holders till my dad hit 80. I had high hopes for EJ, but he'll struggle to be more than an NFL backup.

4. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    David Woodley, Jim Miller, Kent Graham, and lest we forget my favorite, Super Bowl loser Neil O'Donnell. I actually liked him. I thought he was somewhat unfairly made the goat of that Super Bowl loss

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'll put it this way. Brady is almost 40. I know he says he wants to play "10 more years" and all that but do you reallllly think he's going to and IF Jimmy is THAT good do you realllly think Bill would be so lackadaisical in letting him go? I don't. If I were the Steelers, or any other team, I wouldn't necessarily be so quick to take that bait. If he's legit? Yeah it would be awesome to have him but there's really no way to know if he's legit. I remember a few years ago Matt Flynn came out and played a great game against the pats and someone actually wound up signing him not long after that. Haven't heard from him since. The sample size on JG is just a little too small for me personally.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I think he's just upset about the way we lost. Although he has been talking about retiring and his family a lot lately. That would really stink if he hung them up before next season. Plus Bell and Brown contracts are coming up soon. Hopefully we'll get it all settled and Ben will be back but we need to start looking a future QB to replace Ben.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He might have enough in the bank, but having to give $18MM back would encourage me to play. Plus the salary.

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    In Tomlin's very first camp the vets complained about how over the top brutal the camp was. They said they felt like it was actually one of the main reasons why the 2007 season went the way it did. They said they felt like Tomlin grew a lot in that offseason and became a little more lenient on them and it made a difference. "Camp Cupcake" was one of Tomlin's nicknames for a camp even. His camps have apparently been all over the place.

11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    There is an episode of The Simpsons where they knock over the Sun Sphere, which is a Knoxville landmark from the 82 World's Fair and it's still there, but they find out it's full of wigs. Well I told my wife if we actually signed Tony Romo I would go jump headfirst off the Sun Sphere.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd say Welker might be the most talented player they got rid of. Didn't he actually do pretty good in Denver? The main thing I remember about Seymour post NE was when he cold cocked Ben. LOL!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Hes in his final year of his contract. Even Belichick isnt jettisoning Brady if he still wants to play, especially at the level he is playing at.

Better to get a draft pick then lose Jimmy to free agency.

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    It really has been their MO to draft qb's they thought teams might have an interest in to use them as trade bait anyway. So yeah I'm sure he'd definitely take some picks if he could get them. I'd hate to think I let go of a future franchise guy though. I'm always intrigued by how their players do elsewhere and especially the quarterbacks.

15. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He's not going anywhere this year. He's just a tad pissed off at the game Sunday. Being out coached,outplayed, and guys not stepping up. Give him a month and he will be fine. I said he has two years left, and he walks. Now, if they win it all next year he retires on top. Mark it down!

16. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Welker left as a free agent. I thought the original post was "New England never loses a trade".

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Regardless of when he goes, I know this guy, I mean this guy that I know, who will actually shed tears on that day. This guy that I know I mean. What does everyone think of this guy that I know??? I'm just curious to get your guys' opinion on, you know, this guy that I know...

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh ok. I was just sorta taking it as guys they could have brought back but didn't. I actually was a little surprised they didn't try and bring him back but I'm assuming he got paid way more in Denver anyway and wasn't Peyton already there or did he play a year without him? I can't even remember really. Welker was always a pretty solid dude but then it's like he literally just disappeared one day.

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Romo :lolol:...And let's give belicheat a 1st rounder :lolol: Mike Glennen's worth kicking the tires. So I guess that fact that I said it's high time to draft a heir apparent this season is now relevant. Whether Ben comes back or not...

20. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I will be blunt, Colin is garbage. I dont give 2 sh*ts if he was the greatest QB ever, he is garbage. F*** him.
    We DID NOT FORGET!!!!! :mad: We just do NOT ever say his name, now drop it. :nono::nono::rant::threaten:

21. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Some of ya ll need to just stop trolling this board or there will be some drunk until Ben takes the field for the 1st game of 2017. :icon e wink:

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The number one rule of Neil O'Donnell is you don't talk about Neil O'Donnell.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Concussion problems if IIRC.

24. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe if we ask the Browns really nice for their #1 pick for our first rounder, we can remind them how bad they are In the draft. They would only waste another one.

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I do remember him getting one in Denver and getting in trouble for like pills or something but then the league changed the policy on the drugs he was taking. I remember like a picture of him and Brady at a horse race and people said he looked like he was jacked up on pills in the pic after he got busted or something like that.