1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Keith Butler

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 08SteelCurtain, Jan 22, 2017.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    some have also said that they don't understand why they didn't play more man to man

2. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

I hate Tomlin I want him gone. Thats why I said the Rooneys had to ask Butler since Tomlin is a useless tool. He's a cheerleader puppet.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Probably because it was the fastest that any team has gotten consecutive plays off in the history of the game. Chip Kelly wished he could run an offense that fast. I'm exaggerating a little bit, but damn that was insanely fast. The pats knew those guys were probably a little...tired...and wanted to see if they could go right for the throat out of the gate.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Actually Ben has been playing without a deep threat receiver, scissor hands coates was supposed to be that guy but he cant catch a cold, getting MB back hopefully for training camp will change that this year, we was a better offense with him in the lineup, 21 games 14 TDs says so, and get some pressure off of AB, though I have concerns about making AB the highest paid receiver in the league, his fall off in yardage when he's doubled up is an alarm for me, the great ones beat the double coverage, AB is too small to do it.........

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Honestly, guys, by day 2 of a loss I've usually settled down a little bit. But I'm even madder today than I was yesterday! When I think of the stupidity of Tomlin and Butler continuing to stick with a defensive scheme that Brady was shredding to pieces and has ALWAYS had great success throwing against it absolutely infuriates me!!! The analysts are still talking about it today! They can't understand why the Steelers failed to make any adjustments to prevent the Brady massacre.

Tomlin and Butler.

Dumb and Dumber!!!!!

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ryan Clark was talking about it, its just the Brady factor, he does it to everyone. Clark said they would try different things in game (adjustments) and Brady would always dissect it and still shred them.

Which by the way, fans should stop saying they dont make adjustments, I dont think most fans would recognize adjustments in game if it was a frying pan hitting them in the face.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    haley isn't innocent either. stretch plays from the 1 foot line? really? 3rd and one go deep to coates. empty the backfield near the goal line. ignorant. a HS coach could have put in better plays and had a team better prepared for this game. we may have had better players but they were not better prepared. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    By "adjustment" I think Ryan meant they went from giving them 7 yards of space to about 4. LOL! Tomlin and Tunch both did say that they blitzed more in the second half but I'd still say the vast majority of the game was rushing 3 and dropping 8. Also Tunch said it was totally Golden's fault on that one td to Hogan in the back of the end zone. He said that Cockrell made the right decision on the play and Golden didn't cover his zone.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    My thing about the goal line play was where in the crap was Nix? Also the blocking down there was just abysmal.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you don't run stretch plays and give them time to react. quick hitters or your 6-5 250lb. qb. :cool:

11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I know this sounds crazy but I'm honestly not that mad. I didn't think we had the horses on defense going in and so I'm really not that surprised. Literally from the first play of the game in the game thread I flat out said that it looked like we were gonna come out and play soft zone and we did. It pretty much hit me right there that we weren't ready for that specific team. It's frustrating to watch as a fan but there's just no realistic way for a defense with rookies all over the field and average db's like Mitchell and Golden can match up against the greatest qb to ever play. If this were the 08 d against that team that come out and played like this??? I'd be suicidal right now. I just felt like this defense was the proverbial one legged man.

12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly...why do we make things so much more complicated then they need to be. We never use our personnel and formations to our advantage. We could of easily lined Nix up and let him do his thing. If it didn't work on 1st down you can try it again on 2nd or use play action to one of the TEs. I know that's what they would of done and found someone miraculously wide open.

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah and really having Nix on the field could have sold the play action even more. Really I wish we could have even used Bell in that sorta Terrell Davis Super Bowl way of where we just line him up in the backfield and go to someone else. His very presence can knock a d off balance but if he can't go he can't go.

14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I think it's pretty easy for most knowledgeable fans to recognize zone coverages with 12 yard cushions as opposed to press man coverage though. Even the "experts" are talking about the Steelers lack of defensive adjustments in this game. It was mind boggling to all of them. I'd rather the Steelers go man to man and force your guy to beat you. Brady may have still picked it apart but we have had a certain level of success playing that style of defense against him in the past.

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I just don't get it....one game Ben is changing the plays on the goal line in KC (epic fail ) and the next game he sounds like he's whining that they run the plays Haley sends in...which one is it? I know they had their issues in the beginning and I'm really starting to doubt their relationship again. Honestly I think all our coaches are archaic in the way they approach the game. We aren't changing with the times ,really when you think about it we are too simplistic in our approach on both sides of the ball. On O where are all the slants,crosses,quick slants that play to our WRs strengths. One or two games you might see them and they work great and then they're gone for weeks. We basically ran nothing but vertical routes against double teams and two deep safeties and played right to their strengths.....makes no sense. I liked the Haley signing at the time because BA would of had Ben retired by now but he has to either get with the times or get one of these fresh new minds in here. I'm not placing all the blame on him and I think Ben needs to share the responsibility of making this offense as potent as i should be.
    Pretty much the same thing can be said about the D. Might be time for some new blood in the coaching department. This ball is firmly in Tomlins court...

16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    How about Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I think it's passive-aggressive Ben rearing his ugly head! He probably got his butt chewed by Haley for the audible from run to pass at the goal line the week before and this is his PA way to deal with it. Ben being Ben.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    C'mon man, what the hell do we know and what do the experts know? We aren't in the locker room and in the meetings and on the practice field...Coaches aren't human,they can't be wrong,lazy or unprepared. Unless you are there everyday you can't really grasp the meanings of " we don't live in the past"...." They haven't gone through us" and more importantly the fact that "we don't live in our fears"....except for the times that we actually do. We may not live in our fears but our entire coaching staff fell asleep and got a visit from Freddy Krueger....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wasn't trying to insult you jack, I include myself in my comment. We're not X's and O's guys, there are a lot more adjustments that can be made beside playing up and playing back, you don't even have to be a knowledgeable fan to notice that. Which even that, you're not seeing the whole picture from your tv and certainly won't see more subtle adjustments watching the game that way.

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe the reason we aren't running those passing plays is because we only have 2 guys that can run routes and Coates and Hamilton are just deep out guys. I remember Ben getting visibly ticked at Coates in the Denver game last year for his route running.

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    They could of dressed Ayers instead of Toussaint or Sammy Scissorhands

22. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    This taste so bad saying but what we saw was the genius of bill and tom .... Bill in strength vs weakness.... His offense ( strength ) vs ours defense (weakness) was key.... Doubling brown want stop him but will slow and frustrate him.

Tom saw a zone defense with young DBs plus an over aggressive safety ( Mitchell ) and he was ecstatic ...
    Line up, check the defense, make an audible at the line, and watch the defense raise their hands and look around in confusion saying to himself... " I got this!!""

Playing fast, snapping the ball with 25 sec left on the play clock means he called the right play 1st.... If we showed a defense that had a chance against that play he changed it at the line and we had nothing. Putting Deebo out in space covering a RB one example. Flea flicker another.

They had NO rushing attack and didn't need it!!!

Cajun

23. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    In this case you can't cure stupid. And this is what the Steelers nation is dealing with the coaching staff.

24. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Nickel D. Majority of playing time

Lets say 5 starting DBs
    Rcock
    Burns
    Davis
    1st contract
    Gay
    Mitchell
    3rd contract

4 lbs
    Bud
    Shaz
    1st contract

Harrison
    Timmons
    Cant even count how.many reworks and signings so well say multiple

2 Dline
    Tuitt
    Hargrave
    1st contract

Thats 7 out of 11 boys not grown nfl players. They are young. Most are still refining technique let alone learning to play with eachother in a system. Do any of us really believe that all of the concepts that could be applied can be applied with that youth?

Im not discounting the players or the plays, it wasnt good. But am I the only one seeing this season as an overachievment?

This team is good not great. There were glaring deficiencies in this team.

25. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Didn't take it as an insult. I understand that we can't understand every nuanced adjustment made, but when our defense is making a college lacrosse player look like Randy Moss, we're doing something wrong. The guy seemed to be 15 yards open on every reception he had. Tomlin, Butler AND our players just got outsmarted. I still question the intelligence of our football team. We are an emotional, fundamentally sound football team because that's what our head coach is. We are not a smart football team at times.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017