1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Agree or disagree

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Jan 18, 2017.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Let me say right now I am not a Tomlin hater or a Cowher lover. I have sat here and screamed about Tomlin and I have also backed him up. I also was a guy who at some point while losing AFCCG after AFCCG with Cowher before he finally won the SB was a guy who asked is it time for him to go. Both of these guys are good coaches and both have different styles, however last week one of the talking heads brought up a good point while "ranking" the remaining coaches in the playoffs. One guy can't remember who it was brought up this point you made here. He said Tomlin(by no fault of his) has never had to go into a season without Big Ben...a franchise QB and that is a very big advantage. I agree with this but agree it don't take away from MT being a good coach but we don't get to see his full ability cause he has this luxury. JMO.

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    One good thing about Tomlin his pundits have really motivated him to get to the superbowl to quite them....

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah just "having a franchise qb" doesn't guarantee the playoffs year in and year out. It also doesn't guarantee a winning record. I would point to the Saints to illustrate this. I think Brees is a sure fire Hall of Famer but they've had some terrible years even with him at the helm.

4. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't like playin' the "if" game. Let's beat the Patties first, THEN worry about the SB.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with what your saying and one could even consider throwing Rivers name out there as well. However both the Saints and Chargers are not storied franchise's like the Steelers and both of them coaches didn't take over Super Bowl teams or even winning teams. Tomlin was very fortunate to take over a very ready team with a lot of veterans on it while never having to worry about getting a franchise QB cause he had one.

Again I am not taking anything away from what MT has done, he is a good coach and deserves to be considered one. I am also not starting the Tomlin vs Cowher thing either cause like I said in my 1st post both had/have times where I loved them and also hated them.

6. Griswald

Griswald Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    OK, but if he gets totally outcoached and embarrassed, for he still suck?

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    IMHO, Tomlin has to win the Super Bowl to exceed Cowher. Beating the Patriots at Gillette Stadium would be an awesome feat, but he has to bring home #7.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Huh????????

9. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    That is a tough one. I always thought Cower was highly overated and played Marty ball way to much. That being said he really never had a top tier qback like tomlin. I guees I might give Tomlin nod cause I am never gonna get over 94 lose to chargers and the 2001 loss to the Pats. Hell he almost lost us the 95 game against colts by playing marty ball...........

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    How so? Aside from the obvious sideline spittle?

Their coaching styles are very similar to me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I feel Cowher coached with fear you know old school hard nosed but got respect from the players. Tomlin I feel being younger is more on the same page as his players. I don't think he is as hard on the players as Cowher was but in the same aspect get the same respect as Cowher. I also feel like Cowher preached Defense and running the ball old school style where as Tomlin came from a different background and is changing with the times. I am not sure if I am explaining it right but I feel BC is more 3-4 with a run 1st way of thinking and MT is more of a 4-3 air it out kind of a guy.

12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    '01 loss to the Patriots was terrible, but nowhere near as bad as '94 loss to Chargers. At least the Patriots had some good players on D, plus Bledsoe at QB along with Brady. Junior Seau is the only player I remember from that Chargers team that went to the Super Bowl.

13. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    If he looses a SB he did better than Cowher BUY. I want a win

14. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Cowher made me mad with his prevent defense. Remember around 2000. We got Atlanta down 34-17 late third qrt. Game ended in a tie. Cowher lost a sb then won 1. Tomlin won 1 and lost 1, Tomlin gets there he beats Cowher. I rather see us win though

Edit. I reserve the right to blast Tomlin and Cowher as may be needed from time to time

• Like Like x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I freaking remember that game I think I am still in shock........to me it isn't about who is better, right now it is more about wow only 3 coaches in my lifetime. That right there tells ya all 3 were good cause I a 29......30......31.....ok maybe more but I am not gonna list it, lol! :cool:

16. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I remember Natrone Means and Stan Humphries very well from that team. I also remember Steve Young carving them up like a turkey in the Super Bowl too. Like it was yesterday. I was 12.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I was 22 and that was the only Steelers game I've ever seen live. I'm still in shock from that game. I've never seen a game at Heinz Field.

18. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    If one is going to determine the greatness of a coach by the number of Lombardi's (which it should) brought to Pittsburgh, and Tomlin brings another on the 5th of Feb. it's a no- brainer, the math is somewhat simple.
    Tomlin be riding #2 in Steel City.

19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Sorry but in my world if they beat the Pats this will be my Superbowl lol. I fear NE so darn much.. They seem to have our number every game

20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    If there were 2 scenarios where we played pats to advance to the bowl but lost, or we played Texans and won the bowl I would take option 2 every time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    If we played all the elite qbs and went 18-0 but lost to Rodgers on a ridiculous miracle play 31-30 in the bowl, OR we went 9-7 and played pure backup injured teams while refs helped us and won the bowl i would pick option 2 lmao

22. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Was this game in Atlanta? I was at that game! Frustrating to end in a tie. But it was cool because the crowd was at least 70% Steelers fans. Felt like a home game. I remember the drive down and all the Pennsylvania tags on the road. Then walking up to the stadium, all of these buses unloading Steelers fans. It was amazing.

23. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    100% true about the QBs you listed. I don't care who the coach is, if you don't have a top flight QB your chances of a championship are very low..... for every super bowl victory by a Trent Dilfer type QB you have 20 won by teams with QBs most would rate in the top 5-7 in the league

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Don't get me wrong, I love watching patriots lose and being the one to do it is better, but history rates you be superbowls, not bearing good qbs.

25. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No because Shazier will pick off a pass and it'll be, "Tomlin won with Bill Cowhere's LB coach."

Good points. I do feel that Tomlin's situation with a top tier QB is a bit different than some coaches since his QB can be inconsistent and injury prone.