1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Martavis Bryant SI article

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SanDiegoSteel, Jan 13, 2017.

1. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/13/martavis-bryant-suspension-steelers-marijuana-reinstatement

While the Steelers prepare for the Chiefs’ ballhawking defense, one of their most explosive weapons is working out 2,500 miles away, a full year removed from the football field. Since being banned from the NFL for at least one season due to multiple violations of the league’s recreational drug policy, 25-year-old Martavis Bryant has sought to reinvent himself in the shadow of the city of lights. From a temporary townhome in Henderson, Nev., he has learned to live without marijuana, worked out like never before (which, you’ll find, isn’t exactly saying all that much) and looked forward to the day when he can begin proving that he is a changed man. He sat down with SI to clear the air about his past transgressions and lay a road map for the future.

Jacob Feldman: Did you watch the Steelers last Sunday?

Martavis Bryant: I caught glimpses of the game. I ain’t going to sit there and watch the whole game. This year I haven’t watched that much football. I don’t want to. It makes me feel bad since I wasn’t playing.

JF: What had been your reaction to past fines and suspensions?

MB: I never really paid it no mind. It was what it was. I made my mistake. During the four-game suspension I went to Houston with John Lucas for about four weeks, but I didn’t really take it that serious.

JF: Why has this one been different?

MB: I know I’m on my last chance. I’ve been watching what happened with Josh Gordon, Manziel, Justin Blackmon.

JF: So what have you done?

MB: My way got me in trouble. I cut my circles down. I hadn’t really been paying attention to how many people were around me. It feels really quiet now. I love that.

The hardest part was losing my house in Hermosa Beach. It took about a week to move out. My agents recommended I get away from L.A. and refocus. I was against it at first but it turned out to be a great thing. I was so stuck on L.A. Here, there’s not much to do, I don’t go to the Strip that much, mainly just spending time with my girl and my dog.

JF: When was the last time you smoked marijuana?

MB: About eight months ago.

JF: Was it hard to quit?

MB: At first quitting was hard. I couldn’t sleep for four days. I would get frustrated. Mad. I’d yell, “Why can’t I sleep!” but after about four days it got better.

JF: Why did you smoke?

MB: I smoked because I was able to. I’d do it whenever.

JF: Who did you feel you most let down with your behavior?

MB: My mom. She raised me by herself, working in a plant for almost 30 years. I owe everything to her.

When I got suspended, I called my mom and my grandma and told each what happened. It really hit hard for my mom when it came out. Because people don’t just go at you, they go at your family too. Everything said on my page online was said on hers too. That was the hardest call but I’ve made that call before. It’s like, “I’ve got to call and tell her because I don’t want it to come out on TV.” It’s my mom. She told me, she was like, “Ah man, I can’t believe this happened.” She wanted me to learn from my mistakes. It got down to, she didn’t think I was ever going to stop smoking. It took to this point for her to believe me.

JF: Will you say anything to the team if you go back?

MB: No. What happened happened. What’s done is done. There’s nothing for me to say. Just move on and show with my actions. They’ll see on the field. I’m not going to go back and say nothing. They’re grown men.

JF: Last year, when you were banned, Ben Roethlisberger said you had lied to him. Are you worried about your relationship with your quarterback?

MB: I’m a grown man and he’s a grown man. I’m not going up to another grown man and explain my business to him. I understand he’s my teammate and I love my teammate and he’s a leader. But I have my own life and he has his own life.

JF: You’ve also gotten to see the coach’s perspective this year, teaching the wideouts at nearby Green Valley High. What did you get out of that?

MB: Seeing those guys smiling every day when I came out there. I needed that to remind me of where I came from, where I started at, where it changed for me. It was good to see that. I just didn’t like being called Coach. I’m 25 years old.

JF: And tell me about your training.

MB: I used to just show up on Saturday and ball out. Show up on Sunday and ball. I never trained in the off-season. Maybe like once a month. My first year, I went to L.A. in the off-season and I was good during that first week. Then there wasn’t any more training.

I was skinny when I got here. I was 205. I added 10 pounds in my first few months here. I feel different now.

JF: You’ve accrued quite a collection of tattoos over your career, including an NFL shield on your stomach from after you were drafted. Have you gotten any meaningful ones this year?

MB: I get tattoos almost every couple of weeks. The last one I recently got was on the back of my head almost; it kind of hurt a little bit. I just get tattoos depending on how I feel that day, or if I want to go get one, I just get one based on my emotions or how I feel. I don’t never get a tattoo saying that it’s like redemption or something like that, because in my heart I know what time it is and what I got to do. When I get tattoos it’s just all about how I feel that day.

I got my son’s name right here [pointing to his face]. I just got my whole leg done. I got my birth year put on my kneecaps. I been getting tattoos so much. I got a lot of tattoos. It’s ridiculous.

-Seems like hes hopefully learned his lesson. Next yr he could make the offense even better.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    On a first read, he comes across as a bit of a dick.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    yeah got the same feeling how he says he wont say anything to the team and that he wont say anything to Ben.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I didn't really like how he spoke about the team or how he would treat his relationship with Ben. I want him back for what he'll bring to the offense, but it sounds like he's 100% in it for him and his family. The team is just who he happens to work for until he gets to free agency and goes to the highest bidder.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    If he maintains his explosion and stride with all that extra muscle... watch out. He looks like he's gone from a lanky Randy Moss physique to a straight up Megatron.

6. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He sound like he just don't want to talk about it anymore. At least he's being honest and not giving the politically correct answers. Has he learn his lesson and just want to move forward and make everyone else forget about it? Or, is he just the same arrogant, selfish, not taking responsibility for his own actions, and don't understand what he did wrong guy? Time will only tell. He gave great examples of talented guys that have lost their opportunity to be successful in the nfl

7. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Pulling for him big time... don't believe in him though. Lots of attitude in that interview.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Does this dude even know what being a teammate means? You screw up that bar you apologize to everyone you let down in that team. With him the Steelers are easily the super bowl favorites.

9. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    That article spews relapse. Tragic too. He could have been a megastar.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    He definitely comes off as a prick. I'm sure his teammates are still really pissed how he let them down. He has not one ounce of remorse to his teammates which means he doesn't respect them. I wouldn't want him back if I was his teammate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I didn't like how he said he isn't watching the team. I feel that if you are a Steeler than you support the team in any way. I mean he won't even watch his teammates compete in the playoffs? Sounds like what others are saying that he isn't in it for the team only the check. It's like getting injured and avoiding the team because you feel to bad your not playing. What he did was his choice though.

12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

Oh jeez. Give the guy a break. I don't blame him for not watching the games. I'm sure it's depressing for him watching his team play and there's nothing he can do. People are overreacting, big time. I wish Bryant the best and hope he's ready for training camp, preseason and '17 season. Steelers have Bryant for 2 more years... hope he makes the best of it.

13. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    He does come off a little selfish in that article but he may just be hiding how he really feels. I remember him posting that pic of him in the huddle and he was talking about how blessed he was because of his teammates and to be able to wear the black and gold. I don't believe for one second he hasn't watched any games, it's probably killing him and he just dosent want to talk about. I for one wish him the best. We are going to be scary with him next year.

14. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    if he doesn't want to talk about it
    why do an interview?

he seems more excited about his tattoos than anything else

i'll give him the benefit but this is the last time
    obviously

would be awesome if his addiction was football
    and better yet
    HIGHLY ADDICTED TO STEELER FOOTBALL!!

hope the kid gets his priorities straight
    and
    there is no way ,it is helpful, by not talking to your teammates

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    He may not have wanted to do an interview, but he probably needed to do at least one. This is the first one I've read since he was suspended. "Just move on and show with my actions. They'll see on the field". I'm rooting for him..obviously.

16. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Sounds like a head case to me - <paraphrasing> "I'm sad because I can't play..." <end paraphrase> - not because he can't help the team, or that he let them down. Just that he can't play.

I don't know, he deserves <another> chance, but it's hard to believe anything will change with his attitude.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    It may be even more of a wake up for him if we bring home the Lombardi without him.... might bring his attitude down a peg

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Some of that didn't come across very well, especially about teammates.

I don't know, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt without hearing the interview. How things read and how things are heard can be completely different. The most important part is, it sounds like he wants his actions to do the talking for him. Good enough for me.

It's a shame we don't have him now, we'd just about be a lock for #7.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If he is such a "grown man" maybe he would realize how his selfishness affected his teammates and speak to them about it when he is given the opportunity. That opportunity has yet to arrive so maybe he will. People also say things when they are 'distanced' from them as he has been all year, it could be totally different when he is back working with them in training camp.

On a positive note, it sounds like the light has turned on for him regarding the recreational use. Hope he sticks to it, he could be a terror next year for defenses.

20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I hope Bryant matures, as I hope Le'Veon is maturing. Roethlisberger ought to be one of the first to forgive, because of the mistakes he has made, being a team leader, and that he claims to be a Christian.

21. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    He doesn't sound like a team player with that bad attitude. Too bad, what a waste of so much talent.

22. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    We did give the guy a break. I believe it was 4 times? He has one more shot. He screws up again and its Josh Gordon time for him. Hall of Fame talent, dead, in a dime bag of funk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    funkskunk

• Like Like x 1
  24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Doesn't seem to be endearing himself with the steelers faithful. Wonder how the players feel about his attitud.e

25. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Doesn't sound like he uses it for recreational use. He said he didn't sleep for 4 days when he stopped. Sounds like he self-medicates to escape or function in some way. That is an issue. Le'veon Bell is more than likely the recreational user.