1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Genius of Tomlin/Colbert: Drafting

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Jan 4, 2017.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Who?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    I've been on and off the boards but I guess I wasn't here for these complaints. I thought it was reference to recent threads and post.

No I'm not enthused about going forward with Tomlin, I can only speak for myself that I've 0 complaints about any drafts or how the roster is constructed. And I also believe our roster talent wise is better than NE overall.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

You know they will blame Tomlin should something go wrong in spite of him having no control over it.

They will rise again.

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The '08 Draft was the only draft that was truly horrific for the Steelers... but we did get some mileage out of Mendenhall.

On paper... '08 looked like a great draft. Strange how things panned out.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he gets credit for ben but even he said he had little if anything to do with that pick. i'm not sure why mike wallace is in that article. yea, but kind of player for us. we won nothing with wallace. i think the best thing these two have done in the rebuild was bring in some quality help in the coaching ranks. our talent really started to develop under these more seasoned coaches. i'm really going to hate to see mann go. munch has done wonders with the o-line. haley has extended bens career. butler got to learn from a good one also which coached our LB'er coaches and DB coach. we have quite a talented group of coaches top to bottom right now and we are seeing the benefits in these draft picks because of it. i hope they stay and don't get poached from us anytime soon. :cool:

8. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Side note. Takkarist Mickinnley is my #1 draft target as well.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Great minds think alike do they not? :thumbs up:

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd have liked to see more production out of him at a higher level. the speed and size look good but brains? production? these one year wonders scare me a little. :cool:

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

No I am not. I am obviously "trolling." :lolol::roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You missed the memo stating teams with franchise quarterbacks aren't allowed to rebuild.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep, and teams without franchise QBs usually don't go 8-8 when they rebuild.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Most have only gone to the dimwits

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Speaking of this draft only, but with the first 3 draft picks starting, there is an average probability of 1.123% that this will happen. That is exceptional.

P.S. That's an accurate number. Not made up.

16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Oh... Now Tomlin is part GM?

17. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The draft is an educated guess at best. You have no idea how guys will develop, handle the pressures off the field, handle getting paid, handle workouts, and learning the playbook. In addition how do they fit within the organization? Do they have the same values as the Steelers?

I think the Steelers overall do a good job of finding players that check as many of those boxes as possible. They seem to be really big on high character guys and yes while Bell and Bryant are disappointments when it comes to weed, they certainly are not Pacman Jones or Randy Gregory or Aldon Smith. Sure there are incidents but nothing like getting into bar fights and resisting arrest etc.

My biggest complaint and concern is the level of injuries the Steelers seem to have. This year we seemed injured a lot at the beginning of the season and are getting somewhat healthy for the playoffs. I have no idea if our injuries are any worse than the norm but prior years it certainly seemed like it.

In years past I was critical of the staff in terms they weren't playing the rookies soon enough to contribute and learn from mistakes. This year they had to play them and look how they performed and developed. The arrow is definitely pointing up for this rookie class. Future looks pretty bright.

Finally I hope they draft Desmond King and Jaleel Johnson from Iowa. CB and DT. Both high character guys who would fit terrifically into the Steelers defense. King could learn the ropes and eventually replace Gay as the nickel corner and Johnson would provide much needed depth at DT/DE.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  19. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    One of the better drafts we've had in a while based on the number of players that should have good careers in Pittsburgh. I know I was critical of the draft as I thought we needed OLB in the first and wasn't keen on Burns. I think I was more happy about the positions we drafted (except number 1) than anything. We got our S, DT/DE, CB, OT but I wanted an OLB. I guess Matkevich could do but I don't see him being more than a special teamer but I've been wrong before.
    Hope next draft we get at least two OLBs at 1 and 2. Maybe RB, QB (if JOnes leaves), FS, TE, DE and keep the cupboard full at WR.

20. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Have there been mistakes Yes

Like in 2o13 we draft Jarvis jones when we could have gotten
    Pro bowlers Like safety Eric Reid or Tyler eifert or cbs Desmond trufant or
    Xavier Rhodes or the guy I wanted deandre Hopkins

Or in 2014 we draft dri archer then 6 picks later falcons snag devonta freeman

But overall it's a tough job and heck the steelers made the playoffs this year so I'm happy

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Actually it was just repeated ad nauseum by the dimwits

23. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    2008 and 2009 provided a lot of good reasons to suggest that. Certainly they've both improved.