1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we move on from Ladarius Green?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers5859, Dec 27, 2016.

1. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    If Green is a no show for the first playoff game, then I think we have a definite problem here. Otherwise, to speak of the draft, I still say safety to replace Mitchell or a QB if there is someone worth taking there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    And he held onto it. So I don't understand the doubts about his ability to do so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Definitely too soon to give up on him.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think he is soft, and might not love the game enough for my liking. Monitor him and get a feel
    for what is going on with him. We can't have another Duece loose.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    How could you possibly know how much he loves the game?

Soft?
    Lol...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think the guy has talent, but Concussions are going to derail his career.

I think they need to considering looking for our future TE in the draft. But, I think James and Grimble can feel in nicely when called upon.

You have to give Jesse James a lot of credit for that last drive, and the Bell touchdown drive that made it 20-17, he made some big plays and catches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I never said to move on from Green. It was just a general statement that could apply 3 years from now. It doesn't necessarily have to be about this year. Drafting TE's is tough unless you're rebuilding or have a lot of picks. They take years to develop.

8. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Grimble is a beast, his nickname will become the Grim Reaper, to who ever tries to tackle this guy. The fans will go from Heeeeath to Grimmmmm!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I'm just happy Jesse James caught 4 of 5
    nice going Jesse
    keep it up

• Like Like x 2
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was just thinking (not a normal process), how can I give up on a guy who hasn't played enough for me to have anything to give up on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Just to clarify
    i agreed to the 2nd half of your statement
    not the beginning

Jeh
    other thread related

did you not like the color rush uniforms?

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No way do you give up on him this early as long as we can keep him on the cheap...His play is above the line, he is a true threat at TE if he can stay healthy ..We have to give him 1 more season at least ..

13. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Green practiced yesterday and had been cleared from the protocol, so we can stop with all the talk about moving on, and he's done etc. I'd say he def won't play against Clevland, so he should be good for the playoffs.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    A few things jump out. Somebody mentioned questioning the signing because the Steelers had Bryant and Coates as deep threats. If I remember correctly, Bryant's year-long suspension had become public knowledge before the Steelers signed Green. Also, a downfield threat at tight end is something different from one at receiver. I hope we do get to see this offense with Bryant, Green, Brown and Bell all on the field together.

I can't see the Steelers putting more resources into the position for next year. Maybe if this turns into something worse or he has another concussion, but even then I think the team would be fine going into next season with James, Grimble and Johnson at tight end.

Also, it wasn't as if his history was the reason Green suffered a concussion against the Bengals. That was a nasty blow to the head.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
  16. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Cutting Green would result in 3.5 in dead cap space. So no, we aren't moving on.

And the reality is that Green is a significantly more dangerous weapon than James or Grimble.

James is excellent in sitting down in a soft zone. But his route tree is limited by his lack of speed and athleticism. 80% of the balls he catches are stationery.

If James can continue to improve his blocking, he will be a fine TE2.

Grimble can run, and that's a nice feature in a TE3, but while he's got good straight line speed, he has zero ability and that limits his route tree as well. He can run the seam, but lacks the hips to break routes.

Neither guy is on the same planet of athletics and offensive skills as Green.

We should simply be happy with our TE depth going forward

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    How does that compare with Heath?

(Not disagreeing with you at all. I figured you'd have the info.)

18. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yup, I think Grimble will be our #1 TE for years.

19. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Man give the guy a break. Can't get him on the field soon enough, then when is he is on the field he produces, has a huge catch in a big drive, gets smoked and hung onto the ball. Keep in mind he got blasted helmet to helmet.

I would definitely keep him and the only way you move on is IF he decides to retire from the game, which I don't see happening. He is getting a taste of a well run organization and how the Steelers are different than any other NFL franchise. I see him being a key contributor for the next couple of years.

Scary how good our passing game could be: Brown, Rogers, Coates, Bryant, Grimble, James, Green, Hamilton, Bell and maybe even Wheaton at the right price. With our current o-line I wouldn't want to face this passing game in the coming years.

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Negative...

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    We definitely hold on to Green and further more I would scratch off the TE position from the draft needs for 2017. Green, James and Grimble are plenty. I cannot imagine David Johnson is back, so a 4th could be had as an UDFA.

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Although if Jake Butt from Michigan is available, that'd be a tough one to pass up. Don't think the Steelers would do it though.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I can't see them going tight end early in the draft. Outside linebacker is the priority. I could see them taking a running back at some point and maybe another attempt at drafting a future quarterback.

I would also be surprised to see them bring Wheaton back, unless the right price is extremely cheap. Assuming Bryant doesn't screw up again, they have Bryant, Brown, Coates, Rogers and Heyward-Bey. They just don't need Wheaton.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No

Maybe I'm just a grump. And I don't recommend anyone get their fashion advice from me. But I didn't like them. I'm old school. They shouldn't look like a kids dress up party. Grumble, grumble, grumble..

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He was brought in more as a FB and Nix has made him expendable.