1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cincy game late in the 4th quarter...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Dec 21, 2016.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I know nobody really talked about or mentioned this cause the Steelers won but did anybody notice with about 1:45 left on the clock on 2nd down where Cincy had no timeouts left Ben threw the ball to AB in the end zone to try and score a Td. I thought that was a ridiculous play call there by the Steelers when all they had to do up 4 with Cincy having no timeouts was run the ball or take a knee and get out of there.

The Steelers we're very lucky on that play they called holding on the defense which gave them 5 yards and an automatic first down. Otherwise, the clock would have been stopped on the incomplete pass and the Bengals would have gotten the ball back with an extra 30-40 seconds left.

I thought it was a moronic move on the part of either Tomlin or Haley to call such a stupid play and risk stopping the clock when the game was essentially over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I was thinking they needed a first down. So I'm okay with putting the ball in Ben's hands to win the game

3. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep, and I called it out as being stupid as soon as it happened on the game day thread.

Did Tomlin ever explain why they took the unnecessary risk? It sure weakens any faith about how intelligent our coaching staff is.

4. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    No they didn't need a first down because Cincy had no timeouts left with about 1:50 left so if you run two plays or even just take a knee the worst case scenario is the clock runs down to about 20 seconds left then you punt the ball and Cincy still needs a miracle to win the game. For Tomlin to throw the ball there and risk and incompletion like he did and giving the Bengals an extra 30-40 seconds on the clock was just flat out stupid and made no sense at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    fantasy points... stats... making AB happy.

all my opinion though

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Yep. I noticed it and was telling my family eat the clock and game is over. My wife says, no there's too much time left. Then they throw the ball. As I'm telling her how stupid it was to throw it, the flag came out and then the game was essentially over. After that we were able to take a knee on about the 6 yard line. My son kept saying get a TD. I kept saying take a knee. He said why take a knee? I told him the game is over. He said they should still score. I said no. Just run the best play ever. Victory formation.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    You made my point, if there is 20 seconds left then they needed a first down

8. chipped ham

chipped ham Member

Jan 27, 2016

Well, without the very blatant penalty, Brown catches that ball for a touchdown.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Could be worse. Tomlin could be like Lewis and literally go conservative and watch his chances of winning erode

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Simple answer:"We don't live in our fears". Definitely not the right call by the book,the same one we usually throw out the window when it comes to common sense. We do a lot of head scratching,hair pulling things...
    Tomlin made some ridiculous comments about questions regarding kick off returns and the personnel being used( we can all guess who they were referring too) I don't know if anyone happened to catch what he said.
    They asked about Toussaint and why Gilbert wasn't being used on returns and basically Tomlin said well he's our up back for blocking...hello news flash ,they are deliberately kicking the ball to him...hmmm wonder why? I just don't see why you wouldn't use someone who's is actually a threat to do something on a return. I know Coates got a couple chances on Sunday and he at least has a remote chance of breaking one even though he doesn't look that great back there either.

It kinda reminds me of the stubbornness last year when they kept giving J Jones way more chances than he deserved. Even though it seemed he was deliberately trying to lose us games. I know to some it might not seem that big a deal but I believe in giving yourselves every opportunity there is. Field position and especially special teams scores are huge this time of year. It's win or go home time... If DWill is back this week I would really like to see Ayers get a hat over Toussaint.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    No they really didn't. They were down inside the Bengals 20 yard line. Run the ball 2 or even 3 times if you decide to go for it on 4th down. At that point if the Bengals stop you on get the ball they are deep in their own end with 20 seconds to go and have to go the length of the field to score with no timeouts left. I'd rather take my chances doing that then throwing an incompletion and giving the Bengals an extra 30-40 seconds to work with which is what would have happened had that holding penalty not gotten called on the Bengals.

12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    well, whatever they did it worked and we won.

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't mean to hijack but I just read something that pissed me off and does have to do with the game. I just read that Birth Defect( Lady Steel) was held out of Tuesday's practice because of concussion symptoms....how the F did he ever pass protocol to get back in the game...I call absolute bull**** ...if he managed to injure one of our guys which he was clearly trying to do while in his brain-less concussion state I think I would lose my mind...WTF? Is wrong with that team and this league for its double standard.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Marvin Lewis is a complete moron who needs to be fired. The fact that he still has his job is borderline insanity. If I was a Bengals fan I'd be calling day and night for Lewis to be fired.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Brainless is how enters into every day
    game or no game
    IDK
    how the team and nfl cant see this BS
    sadly i say
    my feelings weren't hurt to see his assjackedup

16. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    It was a moronic play call to say the least. Just as moronic as going for 2 points after the TD we scored. It made zero sense and could have cost us the game in both cases.

17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree, but thankfully it didn't. And the heart of black n gold is still beating...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben and AB did that to drive a stake in the vampire's heart because they pissed him off

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yup, plenty of us called it out in the game-day thread.

2nd and 11 with 1:51 left on the clock from the Cinci 20 (about a 37 yard FG for the Wizard of Boz at that point)

You could conceivably leave 21 seconds or so on the clock with a KO coming (which I would kick out-of-bounds a that point) or inside the 20 for Cinci to try something.

Without that Holding call, it's 3rd and 11 with @1:45 or so on the clock with no time coming off. Depending on the next play, they leave over a minute for them to do something miraculous!

Played the odds and got lucky. Could have been a TD as well with a KO coming. That's just rubbing their noses in it though. I don't mind, but why do it with the way they act anyway?

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not ashamed to admit it that when they actually let him back in the game I was hoping for something a lot worse....

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yup
    Yup Dobb still beating but remember there's a lot on the line this week and the happy glow we are feeling can change real quick if we don't make the playoffs ,all of this years miscues will rear their ugly head. If we get in the slate is wiped clean then the playoffs start a whole new season where not playing the game the right way will send you home right quick.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Honestly when DeCastro laid him out and they were taking him off the field I was vindictively laughing out loud and talking to the tv saying "bye bye thug...ha ha...." I don't care to admit it. Actually I'm quite proud of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He should never have been let back in...he was out!

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    BTF. Like my Pastor I guess I better council you. He and I have a session once a month. He says it gives him a chance to vet without using any names. When he says things like that and he will at times. I say, you going to preach that or say your sorry?
    He says he is sorry

25. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm gonna preach it. LOL!