1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the hardest hit you've ever seen?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 4EvrH8O'donnel, Feb 17, 2012.

1. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My apologies, it was mcgahee not rice.

another one that comes to mind [youtube:1rwsgke5]2ZiHzZgottA[/youtube:1rwsgke5]

2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Close call on the suspension. They would call a Defenseless receiver even though he led with shoulder and hit between the numbers.

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe a more accurate way of putting it is, "It didn't look that violent." Obviously, seeing George's head snap, and his body go limp instantly like someone flipped a switch was pretty brutal.

4. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The hit from Hines Ward on Keith Rivers has to be one of the hardest I've ever seen. You don't like to glorify it cuz the guy got so jacked up and eventhough I'm not for all this new helmet to helmet defenseless receiver crap, it was kinda a cheap shot. But if we are just talking hard hits that GOT to be up there.

5. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

I disagree with you about the Ward hit on Rivers being a cheap shot. Blind side block on a player that very well could have made the tackle is what Hines was known for up to that point and was completely legal before that ruling. This particular block was our 205 lb receiver taking on their 250 lb best linebacker at the time and Rivers wasn't expecting it. Had he watched any film of Hines style he may have been looking to see where he was on the field all game long. Like I was saying. You have to play the game with your head on a swivel and be aware of the surroundings.

Kind of like Crosby going across the middle of the ice with his head down. He's paying for it dearly now but when you leave yourself vulnerable bad things will happen in collision sports.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree. Except I think Hines is only like 185 lbs.

There's nothing cheap or unethical about hitting someone in a legal way, just because he isn't looking. He should have been looking. And it's not like Warren Sapp on Chad Clifton. Rivers was chasing Spaeth and could have tackled him. The block was relevant and clean, and I don't remember anyone saying otherwise at the time.

7. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Ummm not only that, crackback blocks are taught as a fundamental technique in the peewee game. They changed the rule so that now the block has to be low.

Helmets clashing in the NFL are inevitable.

8. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  9. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011

Yes, nice block- and enough time to throw.....and still toof a sack :frustrated:

10. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    To tell you the truth if they guy didn't get as jacked up as he did I probably wouldn't even have said "kinda" a cheap shot, I only said that because Hines intentionally tried to knock the guys head off instead of just take him out of the play, but what the hell its football.

11. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    It is football. If that's a cheap shot, so is every hit a safety ever made, or a linebacker on a quarterback.

12. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    i remember seeing orpheus roye lay a jacksonville jaguar out on a kickoff return once. it was awesome. the guy was laying flat on his back with one arm extended out like rigor mortis had set in and he just kind of rolled back and forth a few times like he was trying to get up but he couldn't move and his arm remained extended the entire time. it was hysterical. damn i wish i had that on tape.

13. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wow, you think that is hysterical? Yeesh... I could see thinking it was a great hit, but I always fear the worst when I see that happen to an athlete be it boxing, mma hockey or football. I wouldn't wish that on the douchiest raven and I hate those guys. When a human being is that badly hurt and in that position I find it hard to get joy.

I'm not trying to be mother Theresa or lay some guilt stuff on you, so please don't mistake that. I am just finding hard to know where you are coming from. :shrug:

14. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Maybe a more accurate way of putting it is, "It didn't look that violent." Obviously, seeing George's head snap, and his body go limp instantly like someone flipped a switch was pretty brutal.[/quote:z5sl5fqc]

I don't remember this either, anyone got a link?

15. Jaxsteeler

Jaxsteeler Member

Nov 16, 2011
    My vote is the Clark hit on Magahee. That was the most violent I have ever seen in pro ball. In college PSU's Michael Robinsons hit (He was running the ball) on a Minnesota defensive player was pretty brutal.

I actually was part of one of the hardest hits I have ever seen. Well actually diddn't see it and don't remember it. LOL. I was a second string d-back at Bloomsburg, 1981. We were playing Cal. They ran a sweep to my side pitching it to the tailback. My job is to try to keep it turned inside and take out the lead blockers. Their fullback was lead blocker and hit and planted me so hard that I do not remember the rest of the game. Clean shot, not to the head, but just a full on snot bubbler.

16. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe a more accurate way of putting it is, "It didn't look that violent." Obviously, seeing George's head snap, and his body go limp instantly like someone flipped a switch was pretty brutal.[/quote:3hv8cr3e]

I don't remember this either, anyone got a link?[/quote:3hv8cr3e]
    I was trying to make a joke about it earlier, but I think no one caught on. My avatar is a picture of that hit. It's just a photo, but George is unconscious in it and the ball is falling fast. I don't have a link to a video.

17. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    that willis hit on brad smith just makes me cringe... just watching smith bend like that....
    and what was harding in your opinion Wards hit on rivers or ed reed?

18. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011