1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OC choice was Tomlins according to PPG.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by colsteveaustin, Feb 17, 2012.

1. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The Post Gazette just reported that Tomlin hired Haley,Not Rooney.In fact,The story says Rooney was keep in the loop by Tomlin as to who he wanted to bring in to interview.The report says Tomlin was behind evrything?I guess it does'nt matter now because Haley is here,But Do you guys think Rooney is just" saving face" or Tomlin indeed was the main one? Thoughts?

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I absolutely believe it was Tomlin's hire. I think just as what happen with his interview to get the head coaching position it happened with Haley. I think Haley just wowed Mike and the more he thought about it the more he liked the idea and it made sense.

3. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Interesting? I believe tomlin was the one that hired Haley.The Rooneys are a class act.We all know that.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think it will be confused with the question of who forced the change though and many will argue that it was Rooney who forced all of it. I don't see it that way, more that he did force the change at OC and as I said this was Tomlin's choice.

5. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Going by one article, who could say. I have to say it sounds like a PR move. A late one. If haley says that Rooney was there for all or most of the interviews then it's saving face. I haven't read it yet, but if you are communicating the tone accurately it sounds like they are trying clear up misconceptions or dod damage control.

I have no Idea why. All these people who take issue with Art the 2nd being a major part of the process or the final hammer, must be people who have never owned a business of their own. I don't want to sound like some jerk by saying that, and I'm aware that a small business isn't like owning a sports franchise. But in the same breath they weren't hiring a janitor or even a scout. This is the 2nd highest coach on the team for cryin out loud. You have to be involved and protect your product and families lifes work.

Anyone who thinks the Chief or Dan haven't been instrumental in upper level coach hirings and firings in the past must be crazy. IMO. Art II has been around this part of the business his whole life. This has to be familiar ground for him, he's not winging it. I would imagine there is still lots of communication with his father also. I don't think the ambassador to Ireland is the most demanding of jobs. Probably 2nd in ease to only Canada.

6. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Here's the article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12048/1210834-66.stm

While I do believe it was Rooney who told Tomlin they should look at making the change I take him at his word in this interview that the hiring was all Tomlin. I liked Rooney's response at the end of the interview on the question of Haily and Ben meeting one another :lolol:

Rooney laughed when asked if Haley and Roethlisberger had yet met, and said facetiously, "We're getting to the point where every time somebody meets with somebody around here we've got to have a press conference."

7. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Good article. Speculation over I guess. He said it was done as normal as in the past.

The Jerry Jones comparisons can cease...

8. grannieBurgh

grannieBurgh Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I don't believe this is a PR move. It seems like late information only because someone finally had the brains to ask Art the question directly instead of building up a story not based on fact. Tomlin acted proud and excited about the hire at the press conference. Just like it was his to be proud of.

9. So Cal Steeler

So Cal Steeler Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Great point, they own the team. They're the money part, the owners offer money, coach's coach. As a business owner, I'd insist on being there.

10. GravelGod

GravelGod Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Seems strange that the very person that didnt want to fire or let Ariens go is the very same person to do the hiring of Haley. Something just dosent seem right with this situation.

11. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    While I didnt waste time reading the article (since this is old news)...it was reported 2-3 days ago during a Colbert interview that it was Tomlin's choice. While I'm SURE everyone had input in it, Tomlin made the decision after doing his research.

12. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    "Anyone who thinks the Chief or Dan haven't been instrumental in upper level coach hirings and firings in the past must be crazy."

That being the case, then they were instrumental in bringing in BA.

13. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

Possibly...but when BA came in he wasnt an "upper level coach" like a OC/DC...he was a simple positions coach when he came to the Steelers. Not that any of this really matters, but just saying based on what you said/quoted there...he wasnt an upper level coach when he was brought in.

14. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  15. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Correct...

But even so, and to add more to that. I am glad BA is gone but we did win a SB with him and done decent when he was here. I usually say it was despite him because of out talent. I will give him some credit though. As bad as he was he could have screwed things up worse. He worked with what he had and had good results. Half of our complaints are questionable picks in the later rounds (not counting our WR's I guess) and that is on the Colbert and Tomlin. BA tried to put the ball in play makers hands (except for Redman).

I know I am all over the place. I guess we could have done worse is all, but we certainly could have done better and hopefully we will. :praying:

16. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    First Rooney pulls Tomlin up by the scruff of his neck, so to speak, and does the dirty work Tomlin wasn't man enough to do. Rooney was either awesome or meddlesome. Now it was Tomlin all along?

I still think they all decided together. Why wouldn't they? Maybe it really was Tomlin who had the final say and said, "This is my guy." But I am positive it was a team effort. I would be surprised by anything else.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It had been reported several times that Tomlin, Art and Colbert were all very impressed with Haley's interview. I totally believe it was Tomlins decision. You might be able to make an argument that Art instructed Tomlin not to go in house but that's about it.

18. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I tried to make this point in the "who's the boss thread", I think you have expressed the same point more articulately. Thanks.

19. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    of course it's a "PR move." why else would they take the time to explain to the public 'who' made 'what' decision? they are saving face. the way some people respond to articles makes me laugh. it reminds me of the "Razzle Dazzle" bit in the movie/play Chicago where all of the media are puppets.

"ooooooooh . . . kevin colbert said his boss isn't 'meddlesome.' then he must not be!" hahahaha!! what the hell is colbert gonna say?! "art needs to shut up and mind his own business!!" i'd pay big money to see that press conference!

i DO own my own business (albeit a small business that 'employs' really only about 7-8 independent contractors). obviously, in my situation, being the ONLY leader/manager/owner, i make all personell decisions. but, at the corporate level (CEO's, managers, etc), it's a different ballgame. you hire a leader to work beneath you and then let them do THEIR jobs. you don't bypass their roles to make your OWN decisions. that diminishes the roles within an organization and minimizes your chosen leader's ability to lead because you've just, basically, humiliated (emasculated, minimized . . . looking for the right word) him in front of the people he's supposed to be leading and, in essence, removed his ability to lead. it's a bad business move and reeks of poor leadership skills. we all love, nay - WORSHIP :bowdown: , the rooneys but art fumbled this ball. he's new to being 'THE guy' so we'll give him a pass and hope he learns from it and is a more effective version of himself in the future.

people keep wanting to point out on here that "the owner should have the final say" blahblahblah. obviously! but a good leader would, in NO POSSIBLE WAY, allow it to be known that a personell move (like the one we saw with arians AND the subsequent hiring of haley) would become knowledgable to the other working parts in the organization (let alone the entire gawdamn world!).

the entire haley interviewing/hiring process is a curious one too. i picture it like this:
    MT: "i interviewed haley, boss. i'm not feeling it."
    ARII: "yes you are."
    MT: "i am?"
    ARII: "yes. you probably missed something the first time around. you probably need to interview him again."
    MT: "i do?"
    ARII: "yes, you do."
    MT: "are you sure, because . . . "
    ARII just shoots him a look that needs no words
    MT: "alright, i'm gonna go call todd."

20. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Your purely speculative little screen play is based on no actual knowledge of the situation. Are you saying that Rooney should have just kept his mouth shut and gone along with whatever Tomlin wanted to do, even if he disagreed with it?