1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A list of your favorite....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers89, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Noticed many are bummed about the Ben injury, talking about possibly no chance of beating the Pats, where does our season go from here....

How about reliving some Steelers moments of greatness while waiting to see the Steelers come up big and beat the Cheats Sunday ( I believe!!):

What was your favorite:

1). Regular season win of all time.
    2). Playoff win ever.
    3). SB win.
    4). Single play of all time.
    5). Rematch game where the Steelers beat an opponent who they lost to earlier.

Please mention why they are your favs if you can. I'm curious.

My personal choices:

1). Game vs Chargers last season. All or nothing play for the win.
    2). Has to be win in Indy. ( 2005 playoffs). I had no doubt after that performance.
    3). SB 43. Game was a classic. Broke my remote minutes before Ben to Holmes...
    4). Bettis running over Urlacher in the snow. Turning point of the season.
    5). See #2. Colts spanked us a month or so previous. Revenge was sooo sweet.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Good thread Steelers89!

1). Regular season win of all time. October 31, 2004: Steelers 34, Pats 20. I was living in Pats country, actually right around the corner from Vinatieri, Bruschi and Seymour. I used to walk by their houses regularly when exercising. The Pats fans were unbearable about their all-time great team and the 20+ game wining streak. They were going to kill the lowly Steelers and their rookie QB on their inevitable march to 19-0. All I'll say is, I LOVED walking around in my Steelers gear for a couple of months after that.

2). Playoff win ever. The one that sticks in my head is the 34-5 win over the Oilers in the AFCCG. I was just a kid, but I'll never forget the fun of watching them dismantle a division rival in the rain, and Bradshaw sliding down the field on his butt with water spraying everywhere.

3). SB win. As satisfying as SBs 1-5 were, I loved the 6th - SB XLIII. The Harrison play was just off the charts, and Ben and Holmes dominating the final 2 minutes was so much fun to watch. I was watching at home with a small group, and they were expecting me to be in despair when Fitz scored the go ahead TD. Instead I grinned and said "they left us too much time." I KNEW Ben was going to come up big.

4). Single play of all time. Harrison's int return. I can watch it over and over.

5). Rematch game where the Steelers beat an opponent who they lost to earlier. 2006 playoffs vs. Indy. They dominated us during the season, and rolled in as the #1 seed. That was Ben's 2nd season, and Whiz took the gloves off and went pass first against an Indy defense that had prepped for a ground and pound. GREAT game planning.

3. PittCop

PittCop Member

Oct 13, 2016
    1. 82 opener at Dallas MNF.
    2. 2008 AFC Title. Beating Ratbirds 3rd time.
    3. SB 40. That game meant so much to us all. Sending the Bus off as a champ. Felt great to be a fan after waiting 26 years for another title.
    4. Troy's pick 6 against Balt 2008 AFC Title.
    5. 2005 Wild card vs Bungles. Revenge game beat down. (Houshmanzada disrespecting the Terrible towel 5 weeks earlier)

4. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Great thread.

1) A game I never saw. The overachieving 1984 Steelers handed the Niners their only loss of the season in Candlestick. I had to work that day and we didn't have the internet or smart phones to check scores or watch a stream, just a goofy 800 number to call so a recorded voice could belch out sports scores. When I heard "Steelers 20, 49ers 17" I was filled with euphoria and couldn't wait to get home and watch the highlight shows.

2) Indy is close, but the following week in Denver was the first time in the post-70's era that I knew heading into an AFCC Game that we were going to win. We did to Denver what San Diego and New England and Denver had done to us at home in previous years.

3) SB XIII was the first I remember, and where I grew up everyone liked the Browns, Bengals, and America's Team. I was never so anxious to go to school as I was the Monday following that game.

4) 60 Prevent Slot Hook and Go.

http://whnt.com/2016/02/04/john-stallworth-looks-back-on-famous-catch-to-win-super-bowl-xiv/

5) Todd Blackledge led the Steelers to a seemingly pedestrian 17-7 victory over 3-2 Cleveland in Municipal Stadium. Seems par for the course now, but back in the 80s the Browns were the cream of the AFC North, and just five weeks earlier they administered an epic opening day beatdown on the Steelers at Three Rivers Stadium in Bud Carson's coaching debut, 51-0. The Steelers lost their first two games by a combined score of 92-10, and the win in Cleveland brought them back to 3-3 and gained a measure of revenge on the Browns, who eventually won the division. Oh, and I worked in Cleveland at the time.

5. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    1. 2012 Steelers over Ravens in Baltimore with Charlie Batch at QB.

2. 2010 AFC divisional round over Baltimore. AB's helmet catch.

3. Super Bowl 43

4. Favorite play is tough. Fast Willie's 75 yard scamper in Super Bowl 40 comes to mind, Wallace's game winning catch against Green Bay. Bettis run over Urlacher. Deshea Townsend pick 6 of Brady in 04.

5. 2012 Ravens game with Batch. Loved that game haha

6. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    #1 play of all time is when Bettis fumbled in Indy at the Indy goal line with about a minute left, Indy recovered and started running downfield, AND BEN MADE THE GAME SAVING TACKLE.

WHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I found a full recording of that game on youtube a few weeks ago. I've just had a look to get the link for you, but now I can't find it... gah. Looks like its been removed.

8. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Thanks for checking. NFL sitting on a gold mine. Could have a Netflix type service where you pay for individual games. Who cares if people copy it? It gets your product more exposure it never would have had.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Indeed. Seeing the Super Bowl teams is great and all, but the likes of Lipps, Pollard, Hoge etc we rarely get to see.

10. Rhys Lightning 63

Rhys Lightning 63 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    1). Regular season win of all time - Putting 33 on The Pats in New England 2008
    2). Playoff win ever - Bengals 2016. I pissed myself to sleep so much, I had to change my sheets three times that night
    3). SB win - 43. Only been alive for two, and XL wasn't exactly a thriller
    4). Single play of all time - Troy's sack fumble in Baltimore.
    5). Rematch game where the Steelers beat an opponent who they lost to earlier - Same Baltimore game as above