1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you become a Steelers Fan?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers89, Oct 1, 2016.

1. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Birthright

• Like Like x 1
  2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I didn't. I'm Afan, not necessarily a Stillers fan

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Grew up in SE Ohio, close to West Virginia, which is Steelers country. Bunch of my friends and I were Steeler fans, but not sure I can pinpoint when I became a fan. SE Ohio is pretty much an equal split of Steeler, Browns and Bengal fans, so I was just lucky. And will never give up the Steelers, and only other pro team I would cheer for would be the Kentucky Buckets :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Since I started watching football in 1975 at 7 years old. I thought the uniforms looked the coolest.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cali Doll

Cali Doll Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's in my blood. I was born and raised in PGH.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. jaygorius

jaygorius Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Not from the Pittsburgh area at all. As a young kid just starting to get into football, I happened to catch the 1992 playoff game against the Bills on TV. The Steelers lost but I really liked their uniforms (Give me a break, I was a kid :lolol:). So with the start of the next season I started following them and the rest is history.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    In 1981 when I came to LeJeune from being a Drill Instructor the kid next door was 5 saw my shirt and said HEY, TITSBURGH is my favorite team!! His mom heard it and said he can't say Pittsburgh.. That kid is 40 now. Called me before the SD game last year and said he was in line to enter. He got his moneys worth I guess haha.

8. LuvMySteelers

LuvMySteelers Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2015
    I moved to Grantsville, MD from Baltimore in 1985 (the same year the Colts moved to Indy). I got Pittsburgh TV stations, started watching the Steelers, and got hooked. Now I live in Colorado Springs, but Steelers will always be my first love. I actually meet other Steelers fans out here when I wear my Steelers gear.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Received the old electronic football game for christmas. I chose the team in the black my brother chose the white jersey team (Cowboys). Been a fan ever since. 38 years and counting.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

Born, raised and still living in western PA. I am truly a homer for all things Black 'n Gold... Love my Steelers, Buccos and Pens. It truly is a way of life.

For as long as I can remember, no matter what priest says Mass at 10:00 AM on most Sundays during football season, there is no sermon, or it's very short. They want to get out and get ready for the games, too. It's become a tradition. :lolol:

• Like Like x 5
  11. T B

T B Active Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Weird, exact same for me, 1975 also but I was 9 years old, thought they had the most intimidating/coolest uniforms and that made a big impression on me, would learn about the tradition and loyalty in the following years.

• Like Like x 2
  12. DonKnock

DonKnock Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2016
    I think the scientific term is fertilization

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Same here. Even the Catholic reference LOL

• Like Like x 1
  14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Super Bowl XIV was the first Super Bowl I remembered as a young child. After that game I was a Steelers fan for life. Suffered through the late 80's... enjoyed the playoff runs in 90's and recent Super Bowl years. Glad I chose wisely. My brother is a Cowboys fan.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Same with me, but my brother started as a Cowboy fan, but moved to Elway/Denver, then Favre/GB. So much more invested when you remain loyal through the ups and downs.

• Like Like x 1
  16. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I was born and raised in So Cal. I became a Steelers fan at age 6, the summer before they won their first SB. My dad had brought home one of these NFL helmet trays (I think they were a gas station giveaway)...

[​IMG]

It was the first time I had seen all NFL helmets together like this. And the Steelers helmet stood out. That logo was cool (though on the wrong side of the helmet).

A month or so later, this showed up in the mail, and it sealed the deal:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I wanted to be a fan of the Rams or the Chargers...because I thought their helmets looked cool....my dad bought me a Steelers helmet.

Was born in 1972....so I started to watch football right as the first dynasty was occurring. I live roughly 100 miles from Cleveland, Pitt, and Columbus(which would play Cinnci games) Back then...before the FCC stuck their nose into things and decided we are a CLEV MARKET...We would have choices ...Clev station played Browns, Columbus played Cinnci....and I would get Steeler games out of either Wheeling or Steubenville.....

My grandmother loved Terry Bradshaw...they were winning all the time...I could watch them every week.....I jumped on the bandwagon and never got off.

I have relatives who were life long season ticket holders for he 49ers. The first game I ever saw in person was Raiders at 49ers in Candlestick....the season after they won their 1st ring...I made the 49ers my #2 team....I had an AFC and an NFC favorite..... had 49er t-shirts and hats...

and I did wear them...but it just felt wrong.....never wore another teams colors since then......
    there is no #2 team.

HACK

• Like Like x 2
  18. SteelersWorld

SteelersWorld Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Born and raised in Western PA. Was a kid during the 70's dynasty. Black and Gold runs through my veins.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Started watching the team in the 70's because my last name is Lambert and you know why...I have been a fan ever since.

• Like Like x 2
  20. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I think we've had this topic on here several times before, but here's my Steelers story again.....

My dad and grandfather are/were huge Browns fans. We lived in a little town about an hour from Cleveland. A new family from Michigan moved to our area and started attending church where we went. Our families became really good friends.

This was in the late 70s. My dad took me to a lot of Indians games over the years, but even though he was a big Browns fan, he never talked football much with me and never went to any games. My new friends from Michigan, as luck would have it, were hardcore Steelers fans. They're the ones who really got me into watching football, so naturally I started watching the Steelers and rooting with them. I was about 7 or 8 at the time, and I've bled Black and Gold ever since.

• Like Like x 1
  21. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Born and raised in Chicago. Was born a few days after the Bears won their 1 SB. When I finally started understanding football and all I heard my dad say (even though he's a fan) was the Bears suck, F... the Bears etc. So I figured I didn't want any part of a team that sucked. Became more a fan of good players E. Smith B. Smith R. White. Finally hooked on to my favorite Jerome "Da Bus" Bettis. The rest as they say is history.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I grew up in Iowa in the 70's and most folks back home follow the Vikings, Bears or Chiefs. None of those teams did it for me. Something just clicked with the Steelers. I'm a big Iowa Hawkeyes fan and Iowa's football coach at the time got permission from the Steelers to redesign team uniforms in the Steelers' image. He wanted to change a losing attitude and start new traditions. That probably sealed it for me. I will also add that I have been living in Kansas City for the past 20 years and was fortunate to find a Steelers fan club within a month of moving here. We are about 300 strong each week, there are lots of us out there!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  23. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    For me, I became a fan at 6 years old.... I was half playing with some toys in living room and half watching watching the Steelers vs. the raiders with my dad. It was 1972 the immaculate reception game and i was forever hooked. My dad was a huge raiders fan and about had a stroke but it was black and gold for me ever since that day. Of course being 6 years old, for about the next year i thought Franco Harris' name was Frank O'Harris and I couldn't figure why this Irish guy wasn't as pale and freckled as my mom's Irish relatives were.

• Like Like x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hayden Fry

25. PittCop

PittCop Member

Oct 13, 2016
    SB X. Ma was Cowboy fan, thought Staubach hung the moon. The old man kept busting her chops, saying Cowboy games are fixed. He said Steelers earned it. I was 5. I agreed & never looked back.

• Like Like x 1