1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Man Coverage

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Never thought I would ever see what I saw today from the Steelers-man coverage!!! Finally playing a little closer to the opposing teams WR's pays off! Guess DL read all the posts over the years!!! Hahaaha and what's even better is they looked good in coverage and getting pressure at the same time!!

2. CbusSteel

CbusSteel Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It was great to see but I got to be honest, I never would have thought that it would have made the impact that it did against the Patsies. Then again, it was probably the last thing that Marsha would have expected to see...

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Carnell Lake Coached'em up!!!!

4. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Big Up's to the D today! Fantastic....Shut up all the haters. Kurt Warner said on NFL network that the Steelers were going to prove that our 5-2 record is not as good as it seems due to our previous oppnonents....Still sour from losing that super bowl huh Kurt?

5. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He's still seeing the back of Harrison's jersey running down the sidelines for that 99 yard pic six :lolol:

6. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    They excelled today on man coverage. Taylor, Lewis and even Gay played a great game.
    No mismatches, and that is to credit Coach LeBeau.
    A shame Mundy got his pick called back.

7. VASteel

VASteel Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The question was asked last week if the coaching staff, would change up what we have always done to improve reults against the Patriots. It is safe to say the answer to that question is a very loud YES! Great plan and great execution by our defense in shutting down the Patsies. When they lined up in that man coverage Marsha and Hoddie must have been saying oh crap I didn't expect this.

8. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nothing better than the look of pouty Brady on the sidelines!!! He definitely had no answer for what they clearly didn't expect to see and see working so well against them.

9. traceman

traceman Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Don't claim to be a coach and I am sure most of you don't, but as you can see, it pays to listen to your fan base sometimes. The change on defense was just what the Steelers needed. The offense was run efficiently on the short passing game and enough of the running game to keep the off-balance. I noticed at one point in the game they started looking for the longer pass plays and it did not work very well. I'm alright with that when they come back to what is working.

10. Tantum Dic Verbo

Tantum Dic Verbo Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Imagine the hilarity if the pass rush would have been at full steam. Nowhere to throw, LB's bearing down on him from all directions... Maybe in the playoffs.

11. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    We've tried it with zone defense against the patsies in the past. Didn't work. We HAd to go M2M this game!

Great call by DL :clapping:

12. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I know, right!? I think they can beat the Pats again this year with this kind of game play. They may game plan something different, but what else beats that kind of Steelers D? Any given Sunday, but man that sure looks like the way to handle the Pats.

13. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They did it really well, too. Branch and Welker did practically nothing. I wonder if Dick will start mixing man coverage into the defense a bit more now.

14. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Thats what I'm hoping for. A mixing of designs and not just game to game either. Mixing it up series to series or play to play.

15. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It was a thing of beauty!!

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    everybody knows how to defend (contain ) the pats , i suspect last year we didn't used it just to hide our card for a playoff

17. lostyank

lostyank Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Back to basics football beat the Patsies. This is how the Jets have played the Pats so tough the last couple of years (apart from Dec 2010!). I just hope they play this way against Baltimore. Joe Flacco has a real problem checking down and is much
    better throwing against zone coverage.

18. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The man coverage worked against the Patsy receivers partly since they don't have a legitimate deep threat. That said, they still threw for two TDs against us.

Maybe we should pick a Guard (should have gone for Pouncey last year) instead of a CB for 1st round next year's draft?

I would go 1st: Guard, 2nd: CB, 3rd: OT, 4th: ILB or BPA...

Freak: no way they are holding back on plays to 'save' for the playoffs.