1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

wk. 4.......... the good, the bad, and the ugly

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Oct 3, 2016.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The good:
    the obvious... we won
    2. We won big against what many consider an elite oponent
    3. Big Ben was nearly perfect
    4. The wr's dominated a top tier secondary
    5. LEVEON!!!!!!
    6. The o-line was dominant..... when the totally undrafted left side outplays the pro bowl right side, you know things are going right
    7. the front 7 was harassing alex smith throughout the game
    8. Had to give Cam Heyward his own separate shout out here
    9. Came out aggressive on both sides and maintained it
    10. The chiefs tried to pick on artie burns and he rose to the occasion

The bad:
    Need an exterminator to get rid of that injury bug

The Ugly:
    Landry Jones

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Can't help but to brag on Jordan Dangerfield. I worried about KC attacking the middle with Kelce. Dangerfield and Mitchell held their own. Great job from these guys. They keep this up and Safety is no longer a position of weakness on the D side.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    it's early but our safety depth isn't too bad, its not a weakness thats for sure.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The Good:

BJ Finney: If he can play like this again against much tougher competition next week... the loss of Ramon Foster will be not as bad if at all.

Sammie Coates: Best game as a Steeler. Period. Facing a suspect Jets secondary next week could have him finally add that TD he so desperately deseveres.

Stephon Tuitt: Does not show on the stat sheet but Tuitt was nigh unstoppable. Take what I said about what Coates is going up against but apply that to the offensive line. Big game in store for him and Wreck it.

Keith Butler: Would have liked it much better if he stomped on the throats all game long as opposed to play prevent in garbage time... but he finally dialed up some blitzes and received compensation for it.

Offense: Le'Veon Bell truly is in a different universe than any other back in the league. This gives Pittsburgh near invincibility. If the offensive line (minus one whom I will discuss later on) can shut down that four headed monster heading to Pittsburgh next week... this is the team that nobody will want to play come January.... not even Bill Belichek himself.

Jordan Berry: First quarter season team MVP without question. If he does not have those performances against Washington and Cincinnati.. the game still would have been won in the former.. but I am not sure about the latter. Also... he did help keep Pittsburgh in the game at halftime during last week's blowout loss as that could have been much worse without his help.

Vince Williams: Looks like Ryan Shazier's presence was not needed after all. Vince may not be a tier one athlete... but he is still a quality one with exceptional football IQ and a fine nose for the ball. 16 total tackles; 13 unassisted. A hallmark game for possibly the future star when Lawrence goes.

Ross Cockrell: Arguably the most underrated corner in the game. I will not be surprised if he is selected to his first pro bowl by years end.

Jordan Dangerfield: Only one catch allowed in his area? For a backup... this is quite good. Let us see if he can do it again next week as an encore.

Now on the bad

Bad:

Injuries: Week 15 cannot come soon enough as Pittsburgh needs to exercise those "Burfict demons" that are plaguing the team. Hopefully Gilbert's is not as bad but Jarvis and Anthony Chickillo being out for any extended period of time is massive. Dupree is still out and now Moats is the only one left. Feeney is not ready either. Again... Tuesday is the day we will find out more.

Now the ugly

Ugly:

David DeCastro:

***TSF reaction to him being here***

[​IMG]

Now... before your skewer me vehemently.. please hear me out. Coming off a first team All Pro season.. I expected more of the same from him. However.. since his meeting with Geno Atkins.. he has not been the same. Early on last night.. he got called for holding and looked outmatched yet again against the likes of Allen Bailey and Dontari Poe. Granted.. he did settle down later ... but this does not give him a free pass. DeCastro thus far has not been living up to his new contract. To make matters worse.. a defensive line ominously similar to the likes of the Eagles (if not better if we are going on just talent) is headed this way. I really hope this is just a small period of knocking off some rust. Next Sunday will be quite telling no doubt.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Decastro, really?

6. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    1. We won and that's always good
    2. Very happy with the performance of Finney or whatever his name is that filled in for Foster.
    3. The tackle that stepped in for Gilbert didn't get noticed either so that's a good thing.
    4. I liked seeing both DeAngelo and Bell get to touch the ball.
    5. I'm very impressed with our kicker. These guys aren't easy to find and this kids got it.
    6. I thought the coaches had this team very well prepared.
    7. Coates is making good production when given the chance.
    8. Jessie James and our newest addition at tightend, can't think of his name, they are going to be a force.
    9. DeCastro seems to have taken a step back at times. 10. Ben wasn't always as accurate as he could be. But he made it all bettər against the Chiefs.
    11. Glad they pulled Ben when we knew the game was won.
    12. I wish they would have pulled Bell and DeAngelo as well. It was only a few snaps but still, why take chances.
    13. I hope our injured players have quick recovery.
    14. I think given the opportunity, the secondary can grow.
    15. Finally we had a pass rush.
    16. I need to say it again, Heyward is special.
    17. Tomlin needs to jump the NFL about the take down they did on Ben. Had that been you know who, flags would have flown.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. He doesn't even deserve to be under Bad let alone Ugly.

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He hasn't played at an All Pro level the last couple weeks, but he's earned a little more respect than the OP is giving him.
    After a game like last night fans have zero to complain about zero.

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Let's hope for some consistency. I'm not asking for 5 or 6 TDs from Ben and offense every game... but put forth a better performance than we saw in week 3. Jets have a good D. This is not a gimmie game, plus it's one of those trap games the Steelers tend to underachieve at, after a blowout win. We've seen this before. 2014 for example... Steelers blew out Colts and Ravens (good teams) only to stink up the joint vs. Jets and Saints (mediocre teams) in following weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Eagles game was ugly. Last nights game I'd have to watch again but just that holding call stands out to me right now.

11. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    It seems silly to complain about anything about a game like the one vs the Chiefs ...... But the purpose of this thread is to state the good,bad, ugly parts of the team/game...

DD did not play well, again, and after getting a fat contract after a probowl season a falloff of performance is not uncommon and usually distasteful for fans .
    He wasn't horrible but on a nite when it seemed everyone and everything went right DDs game was more noticeable.

I like DD and when he was pulling his game was good.

Cajun

12. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    The good--- the energy of the defense and backups stepping up.

The Bad---- the weather

The Ugly----- ABs cringleberry... STOP IT!!!!

Added: the beautiful ---- Green and Lloyd at halftime!!!

Cajun

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Exactly, sheesh.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    :lolol:

15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    AB could have just taken a bow and the ref would have thrown his flag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    My problem is that Sanders was not flagged or fined for his 2 pump effort against the Bengals

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Trust me I know I'm not stopping anyone from complaining.

18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    not to derail this thread but is our O line known for finesse? Or power? since DD and pouncey aren't typical juggernauts, AV is but kinda slow.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed on the bolded for David. I just hope he can have it because thus far this season... I have not seen it.

Again... I really hope so... because as I stated... New York's defensive line is just oozing with destructive capabilities.. much like Philidelphia's.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Double standard of sports I am afraid. At times it will rear it's ugly head.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Bolded is something that we have seen for three consecutive weeks now. I hope that the fourth time is the charm.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Regarding DD, he is coming off a great season, and yes he has not shown that yet this year. But he hasn't suddenly gotten old or slow. What ever he had last year, he still has. I don't see him pulling a Lamarr Woodley. He seems to have too much pride for that. Now if we are having this conversation in November....

23. IggySteel

IggySteel Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    A lot of the good has already been posted and there's not much to complain about so I'll just add under the ugly:

J Jones being tackled by a QB after his int.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not gonna dogpile on the "GOOD" except to say it was well-needed therapy for all of us

BAD: We still seem quite vulnerable to crossing routes and middle seam stuff. They helped with some bad throws and worse drops but things could have gone.differently if those had been money. Kudos to the dline and lb for getting in Smith's face.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  25. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    True. I was expecting him to just run through the QB. I think he tried to make him miss, but as a result lost the power he could have had from just bowling him over.