1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Do Not Plan To Bring Back Hines Ward

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Feb 10, 2012.

1. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  2. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ugh, this story is just a bummer. I understand the money issue, but I honestly think like many others that for a player that has truly been a team backbone, a leader, given all he has for this organization, they should let him play a final year like the Bus did if he's willing to take league minimum. I recognize that he's getting old and hasn't been the same player, but I have to say that I think there are implications for the team beyond playing the game if they let him walk. There already seems to be a lack of leaders in the locker room for the most part, and no fire in the belly of the beast this year. I think that morale would suffer if other players see that the FO is willing to let someone who has given all he has to the team for so long go in this way, and I honestly think that lack of fire and morale played a huge part in the poor play we saw at times this season.

There are definitely changes that need to be made with this team because what they always did isn't working anymore, but I feel like the team is starting to suffer an identity crisis that has the potential to harm them as they try to figure out just what to change.

3. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Hes not just a great player, hes a Steeler icon. I understand business is business but thats what is wrong in this country now. The businesses forget what makes them great. They dont care about the people anymore.

What kind of message would that send to the younger guys? Why hang around in Pittsburgh if you can make 2x-3x the money in NE or Dallas.

Maybe Ben is giving up some money to keep him..

4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I honestly think that three people we can see getting cut in the next 4 weeks are Ward, Smith, and Big Snack. Not because we don't love them, not beecause we don't want them back, but because they are beyond restructuring. To sign them at vet minimums, which is what I think is what both Ward and Smith will have to play for, there contracts would have to be voided. Only way to do that is to cut them and resign them to new ones. Do it before the new year starts, and serious cap savings.
    At least, this is what I hope will happen. Hampton we can always re-sign when he gets closer to playing. Who knows how much time he's going to miss with his injury.

5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Re: The end is near.

I know this is a joke. But you might just be delusional enough to believe it could happen ....

6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

First, HInes Ward is not gonna max 2x-3x what he's making in Pit even at the vet minimum, anywhere in the NFL. In fact, he is probably more valueable to the Steelers than anyone else.

Second, you make it seem that the Steelers aren't willing to pony up $$ like other teams (ie, Dal or NE), well,they spent right up to the gap and over it. That's why they are in the trouble they are in now.

The Steelers have made Hines Ward a rich and famous man, that doesn't sound to me like an organization that doesn't care. But no one, not even Hines Ward is entitled to roster spot or entitled to an extra year.

7. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I dont want to see him go either, but the truth is that if we let Hines stay, why shouldnt we let Smith and Farrior stay and Big Snack too? I understand the sentimental aspect of wanting him on the team, but reality is, if we keep him, we weaken the team and the future progress of some the other players. I dont think Hines can be an effective slot receiver, he isnt fast anymore, he isnt quick and he can be covered by most LB'ers. The slot man has to dictate coverage changes to the defense and has to create mismatches that benefit the offense, I dont see Hines being that kind of receiver. Can he get open when plays break down and Ben and the crew ad-lib, absolutely, but thats not what we want this offense to be....am I wrong?

8. jaygorius

jaygorius Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    I don't put much stock into reports by these NFL reporters. The Steelers are very tight lipped and the reporters are often wrong. Not saying that Ward will definitely be back, but let's just wait and see what happens.

9. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    As much as I loved watching Hines develop and make plays throughout his career, there will always be a time to hang it up. Not sure if that time is now or not, but a lot of great players have a hard time accepting the right time to hang it up.... see Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Franco Harris, Brett Favre, etc, all icons of their respective teams that played just a little bit too long with another team that (IMHO) tarnished their legacy.

If we can work out a deal to let him play one more year as a Steeler, give it a shot and see if he can still contribute, otherwise I'd much rather see Hines retire than see him try to play for someone else.

10. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    The Steelers have made Hines Ward a rich and famous man, that doesn't sound to me like an organization that doesn't care. But no one, not even Hines Ward is entitled to roster spot or entitled to an extra year.[/quote][/quote]

I think we all appreciate what Ward has given the Steelers but, a roster spot is not some sort of life time achievement award. It's earned on a yearly basis.

Lots of Steeler fans recently, through the course of the year, inferred that the Steelers are getting old and slow. Keeping old and slow players for sentimental reasons will not help the team moving forward. moving on from older players at the right time is why we as Steeler fans rarely have to endure rebuilding seasons. The FO does a great job of balancing youth with experienced veterans.

I think right now is a crucial time for this organization, we are at a tipping point where we are aging and our direct competition with in the division is talented and young. wether we would like to admit it--the Bengals are young and extremely talented. Dalton, I believe, is the real deal and they have a good young defense. The Ravens...well they owned us this year and it was for the best that we didn't meet them in the playoffs. Again, young and talented on offense--defenseively aging but they seem to have Lewis's replacement and locked up Ngata long-term. Reed is the only ? and they performed well the previous season during his absence. Looking outside the division; the Texans are kinda scary and the Patriots are always the Patriots.

For these reasons I feel the steelers will and should begin to move on from our aging veterans--Smith, Farrior,Ward and Hampton.

Here's looking forward to next year

Go Burgh!!
    :yeehaw:

11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Both sides need to do their part. For the Steelers, I can clearly understand that they have other issues to deal with right now, but at some point will get around to restructuring Hines' contract for the vet minimum. Why wouldn't you take the chance, bring him to camp and see where he is at. If nothing else, talk to him about his options in August when you are making your 53 man roster.

For Hines, he needs to go into a serious Jerry Rice offseason program. If he shows up in the best shape of his life, he can definitely contribute in certain situations. He is a great possession receiver. Maybe Todd Hailey will be more effective at using Hines when the situation dictates. If AB continues to receive punts, that may lesson the need for another ST player from the receivers.

12. xcodizzlex

xcodizzlex Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

:thumbs_up: :amen: :applaud: :good: :this!:

all those work as a like button

13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The only way he goes out like bettis is if we win the superbowl next season,but I understand what you are saying.Ward shouldve called it quits after this season on his own and the organization could be bringing him back as an asst wr coach.Now we are in a dilemma.

14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    My question is, who is Jason LaCanfora and how often is he right?

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Whether Cotchery comes back or not may have an impact, but my money is on Hines being back for 1 more SB run.

16. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

I don't know. I could see them doing this. (I'm just joking lol......I think)

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The Steelers do have a history of this kind of move, though - Franco, Webster, Faneca... all slightly different situations, but we can't pretend this is something that's out of character.

I think that if we don't bring him back, then Hines retires, though.

18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

The difference between Ward and the others you mention, Woodson, Webby, Franco and Faneca, is that Ward has already stated that he would take a greatly reduced contract, possibly the league minimum to come back. With the others there were disagreements between them and the FO about their remaining value to the team so they decided to test the open market.

19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I'll bet he doesn't. Hines is a very, very prideful guy. If the Steelers let him go, his impulse will be to go somewhere else and 'show them' what he has left. Remember this is the guy who people never gave a chance to. He's used that story to motivate himself his entire careeer. He won't stop now.

20. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I wasnt referring to HInes, I was referring to the younger guys. Why should they saw any loyalty? Why not tell Pittsburgh to piss off and go for the big payday? Hes willing to cut his pay to retire there.

I dont remember bout Franco but Faneca wanted $11 mil and he didnt want to stay. Apples and oranges there.

So how much cap would we actually save by not resgining at the league minimum?

21. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

I hope they can get him for the vet minimum for one more year. Hines has been one of the greatest Steelers of all time. Please Rooneys, bring him back.

22. BigBen7

BigBen7 Active Member

Oct 22, 2011

Watch the Ravens sign him just to p*ss us off!

23. Ronak

Ronak Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This would be a terrible mistake. Give Hines one more year.

24. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    they need to see what kind of money he will play for before they release him. although they probably have to release him first so they dont get hit with his bonus and then renegotiate and new deal so he can end his career in pittsburgh.

either way, the end of his substantial playing time is over with the Steelers.

25. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    i think the primary reason they're going to release him quickly is because he's due a large roster bonus in march.

with that said, it might not be out of the question that they sign him to the vet minimum later.

i'm laughing at the thought of some people on here getting excited because they thought a new OC meant an expanded role for hines. haha! he's done. his value to this team has been replaced by guys like emmanuel sanders and jerricho cotchery. it's time. unfortunately, it looks like he's going to do a jerry rice tour and flail about for the raiders, broncos, etc . . .

heck, he might sign somewhere else and then be a camp casualty and get cut prior to the season even starts.

love the guy. he's the one authentic jersey i own. dropped three bills at hometowne sports on an authentic jersey, they asked which player i wanted, i scanned the numbers, i said, "there's nobody who represents this team better than 86. let's do it." i had flown from the west coast out to the burgh for a cincy game i had scored field passes too. the girl i was with said she wanted a jersey and asked which one she should get. i said, "well, we'll be standing in the back of the end zone for the game so hines ward has a history of giving td balls away to people wearing his number so i'd go with 86." she bought his jersey, we stood in the end zone . . . there was no td ball, but during warmups, he came over to us and played catch with her in the end zone for a bit. that was pretty cool.