1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Roethlisberger speaks on Haley hire, state of offense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 9, 2012.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Maybe. But, his history leads me to think otherwise.

2. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

If you can't be diplomatic, you fake it. Now's not the time to say anything negative.

3. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    :this!:

4. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

I think that was Ben giving his diplomatic answer. Some are better at it than others.

This is not your typical work place... As Haley stated "if you are sensitive, this is not the place to be". I don't think it will be an issue for anyone in that building.

5. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    In a perfect world, this is correct.

But truthfully its not that simple with the QB position. Its a pass driven league now and top QBs are a must for success. Just look at the most recent Super Bowls and you'd have to go back almost 10 years to find a QB who is not in the top 10 in the NFL who has won it...Brad Johnson back in SB37. Since then every single Super Bowl winner has featured a QB who is/was a top 10 guy. Even just to make it there a top 10 QB is just about a prerequisite. In the same time period only 5, Gannon, Delhomme, Hasselbeck, Johnson, and Grossman have made it to the SB not being in the upper echelon of NFL QBs. And, again, only one...Johnson has won. And recent history really drives home this point as Rex Grossman, who 5 years ago is the only QB not in the top 10 to play in the SB. The last 5 Super Bowls have featured match ups of the top guys.

All of that being said, you can't just ignore or poo-poo the QB position and dismiss it with a simple "He's the OC, you're the QB" statement.

RIght or wrong, like it or not, Ben Roethlisberger holds A TON of weight with the Steelers. They need him more than he needs them. Thats just the way it is.

And its the same in Indy, NE, GB, and NO too. But the difference is those guys know it, but seem to be able to keep their egos in check. They don't quite have the attitude and arrogance that #7 has.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree with this, especially after all the BS that happened here after the Ben pro bowl interview. Seeing things written in text doesn't always quite capture the sense in which they were spoken.

As far as what he's said? Basically, "we'll see." I don't see what else he could have said. He might have kept quiter about the emails, but it's not like we didn't all know there are different takes on Haley's ability.

Obviously, Ben's comments don't enthuse me in the way Haley's press conference did... but maybe Haley has learned to deal with awkward questions better?

7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    That's what I thought too. This was not starting off on the right foot. You show your support and let people know you are committed to ensuring that the new OC will be successful. You don't say the you've heard the good, bad, indifferent. Ben seems to be posturing for a toe-to-toe fight with Haley. Considering that Ben was on the trading block not long ago for his shenanigans, he had better tread lightly and get with the program.

8. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I didn't take it as being so harsh. I interpreted it as Ben saying he received a lot of opinions (notice he didn't say he asked for them) and that he has to meet with Haley before he can form one himself. That would be true of anything.

9. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

TRUE

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    yes in the ben world (full of selfish) this is almost a kind speach , of course there is some people (me included ) that would have like d a speech like this :" i'm very pleasure to welcome haley and i'm ready to do everything is asking from me to make this team better" ...

11. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Bottom line is Haley will have to make nice with Ben, not the other way round. Ben doesn't have to prove anything on this team - he is the leader of the offense and has won many games for us over many years. Haley is coming in after failing in KC and alienating everyone around him. Haley can huff and puff on the sideline all he wants, but I bet you he deals with Ben with kid gloves. I could be wrong.

12. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Right now I think you're right.

13. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It's easier to find an OC than a franchise QB.

14. nwsteelerfan

nwsteelerfan Member

Feb 9, 2012
    It would be nice if Ben could just be "politically correct" if you will and quote the team line of support and excitement to get going with Haley. IMHO he just comes off as someone who expects his opinion to matter more than others on the team. It could be just the reporting that he comes off this way but this whole OC thing he seems to be flexing his $$ muscles and it is just rubbing me the wrong way.

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The statement reads pretty bad, but so did the one a couple of weeks ago about wanting to talk to Rooney. However, when I listened to Ben actually saying the "I want to talk to Rooney" bit, it didn't sound bad at all. So, I'm not sure this really means anything more than a reporter selecting only the statements he wants to print so that he can stir the pot (as they are wont to do).

16. leveraged

leveraged Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Ben is coming off as the doosh that people around Pitt knew him as before his "makeover" after the female accusations were made public.

17. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :this!: Exactly right

19. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This is a good point, but it's a very nuanced tight rope to walk. He (Haley) has to conform, compromise and earn respect without diving all at the same time. PLUS, create an offensive scheme and learn about his players. Tough gig! :hmmm: :popcorn:

I bet he wishes he was still a head coach where being a dictator is so much easier. Even if you have bend just a little.

20. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You guys do realize this is the guy who for two years successfully dodged questions about his off-field problems and legal woes and you are suggesting he just Magoo'd his way through this interview? I am not buying it. All he has to say it "Well we will just have to wait and see." or "Yeah I am not going to comment on that." end of story.

22. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think you're very wrong. I personally think Rooney is a little fed up with Ben and a big reason why Haley was brought in is due to Ben's arrogance and stubbornness. That's obviously not the only reason, but Tomlin wanted to keep Arians, instead Rooney brought in the most fiery coach in the league. At the same time, Rooney has made statements that he is unhappy with the offensive output and that Ben must tweak his style. I really think Haley was brought in to specifically change Ben. He knows if anyone can do it, Haley can.

I'm just tired of Ben and all his drama. Everything about this guy is drama. He can't be a professional and keep his idiotic comments to himself, he's gotta let the public know that he has received negative e-mails about Haley. There's no reason to say that whatsoever. It doesn't matter if that's Haley's reputation, there's no need to say that. There's also no need to say that he needs to form his own opinion on Haley. It doesn't matter what his opinion is, what matters is how they work together. The fact that he thinks it matters whether he likes haley or not shows his arrogance yet again.

True leaders in the NFL would never dare say the things he did. Ben is supposed to be a leader, it's about damn time he start acting like it. I'm sick and tired of his childish BS. I really wish they would have gotten rid of him after the sexual assault allegations came out. Dump Ben, find another QB either through the draft or FA and start over. I'd take a few down years to not have to listen to Ben and his drama filled BS anymore. He is perhaps my least favourite Steeler of all time.

23. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree with your entire post except for the part in red.

24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I like this quote from the Post gazette article.

Yes Ben because this is what an OC should do as well as the HC, you don't continue to pound square pegs into round holes, You assess the skill set of your personnel and make the best plan from there. You don't say I'm going to just let my QB be who he is and everything else will buff out.

25. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011
    :this!: