1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I know preseason doesn't mean anything

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by stangboy06, Aug 18, 2016.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I just can't get worked up over preseason ball. Can't. Half of the steelers on the field for these games won't play a single snap this year. Some will get cut, some will be PS, some will even make the team and be inactive. Some will be active and only play ST all season.... All the guys that affect the game (our superstars Ben, AB, Bell) will actually play. Those guys are the reason why we're good. Things like having a good back up QB, or a really good 3rd string OL or awesome 3rd team corners don't matter. They'd be nice, but they don't matter. We will win and lose this year based on the 3 B's and if the defense can be decent. That's it. If they do we will be really good and have a chance at a SB... If they get injured we will be mediocre like the teams that don't have any superstars. Simple as that

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Give this man a cigar!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Only problem is we don't even have a capable bu QB nor do we have awesome CB'S period..I don't think the season is a bust I just see a very slow start coming ....1 of the B'S wont be out there and the Skins have a Great CB to put on another B and our LT has showed he can get beat so they may be able to get to our other B to often ...I just have a really sick feeling about week #1 for sure..

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    To me preseason does mean something.... There is a difference between trying to win the preseason and having winning talent.

Some teams will play their starters well into the 2nd half and game plan for games.

In the Steelers case, if they keep losing in bad fashion in preseason what it is telling me is the depth on their team, the second and third stringers, might not be very good, which is definitely cause for concern.

I could care less in Ben or AB plays... Jarvis and Bud need to play though... They still have a lot to prove.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
  6. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    There is no doubt that this team will once again start terribly slow under tomlin. History is no lie. 2-2 at best 1st 4 games.......

2007 3 1
    2008 3 1
    2009 2 2
    2010 3 1
    2011 2 2
    2012 2 2
    2013 0 4
    2014 2 2
    2015 2 2

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll third or whatever its up to!!!

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Does the NFL keep score in preseason games? Preseason matters, especially game speed conditions. I don't care for coach Tomlins method of holding starters out all snaps. As someone else pointed out, you can't just turn it on
    or off. We shall see. Can we afford to start the season 2 & 2? Can we afford to lose to teams we are suppose to beat?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree in general.

There are three things that I don't like from the preseason so far, regardless of the scores or level of interest the players are showing in the game.
    1. Poor tackling
    2. Poor catching
    3. Left tackle - we seem to be giving up a fair few sacks from there

Granted, all of these can be attributed to having the 3rd team out there, and running plays purely for coaching film rather than winning the game. But these are technical things that make me a little unsettled. The tackling in particular.

Still, I suppose it only matters when it matters.

10. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    saw stat this AM that we are 2-13 the past 15 pre-season games. I never look at the scoreboard during pre-season. I just like to evaluate talent and see what we got. As for not playing the starters I am 100% behind it. You let Ben or Brown go down in a pre-season game and everyone would be complaining that they played???

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Well overall poor tackling is a league wide issue, not just a steelers issue. Ever since they made a "tackling window" and kept people from hitting high, tackling suffered league wide. I feel like 95 percent of the fan bases think their team is the worst tackling team in the league. I'm not trying to make excuses, but it's just the way the NFL is anymore. You win with stars in this league now.

Idk what the deal is with LT now tho. I thought Villanueva would look a little better than he has. Harris is okay, but nothing special. It hurts losing Beachum, but you can't afford everybody. Gotta save money for guys like Bell and AB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    fort, grant and matakevich seem to be tackling just fine as backups. :smiley1::cool:

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The opener vs. the Redskins will be painful to watch. I predict the Steelers will outgain the Redskins on offense by +250, but lose due to stupid penalties and turnovers.

2-2 after the first 4 games. 1-3 is a possibility. :(

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

15. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Last year we played 5 pre season games and our record was a pathetic 1-4 and in our game against the lowly Bills they hammered us 43-19 and yet we still made it to the division round of the playoffs, and during that game vick threw a TD pass to Bryant and the announcers declared him the best back up in the NFL if you can believe that, fans would like to win all the pre season games, but the reality is these un polished players are just trying to learn a position to make the team with no game plan and using vanilla plays our coaches have to evaluate them as individuals based on the playing time they get....

16. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    yuck the image

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I think we get 2 picks and 3-4 sacks in this game, Ben throws 3 TDs and we rush for over a hundred yards, thats called positive thinking..........:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 2
  18. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    all in the first possession
    even better positive thinking

19. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The preseaon means nothing. What is the difference in the starters playing one series and none at all? Rest them keep them healthy. They will probably play the entire first half of the next one. These guys aren't new to each other they have been together for awhile now. Its not like Ben and Brown forgot their timing together or anything like that. The only one it may hinder is Rogers but even so they get a ton of time together practing in camp. If you read about the Steelers camp compared to others it is a lot more physical. One reporter for ESPN said the Steelers have the most physical camp of every team in the NFL. These guys are ready and they don't need to risk ending our season in the preseason if Ben or Brown go down for the year. If that happens it's game over. I completely agree with Toll on on this one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    I fear Reed. Our TE coverage has never been good. But I feel sooo good about our offense and (and this is important if were gonna have a rocky start) our Punt game (im serious). We had some issues winning the field position battle all last year. If we cant stay on the field on offensive 3rd downs, i want good punts at least.

21. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    RIP my football IQ after reading this thread!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    What bothers me is Tomlin seems to think preseason has no value to the offense. If we have a problem with a slow start on offense against the `Skins and lose, it will be on Tomlin.

I hope this gamble works out. The only thing to evaluate so far this preseason is the defense because the real offense has not been on the field yet.

23. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Good point on punts. Field position was a problem last year. Coverage teams need to improve, IMO. It wasn't all the punter's fault.

24. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012
    i think we look great. no need to improve anywhere. i am a real fan

25. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Cowher is Marty Schottenheimer 2.0, but with more chin and spit.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2