1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Threatens James Harrison With Suspension

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Aug 15, 2016.

1. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, this is totally on the NFLPA. I'm sure Harrison doesn't want to talk to the Goodell since they aren't very chummy, but I think if he has nothing to hide (which I believe) then he should do the interview.
    Let the NFLPA fight with the commissioner's office all they want, but when their (the NFLPA's) suggestion interferes with the team, then the player should make the best choice for who ultimately employs him (the team).

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I get why the NFL is doing this. If someone made allegations against me, my employer would perform an investigation, including talking to me. It would be mandatory. This is no different

3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    This is different though because if that person went back and said I was just mad at him I would bet there wouldn't be an investigation. Plus if your company has wording in your contract that they had to have clear proof of you doing this before they could talk to you about would make it pretty sticky also.

4. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    No, the player should protect his own rights. What that means depends on whether the union is actually going to back him, or just make some noise about it. If the union wants the player to stand firm, then the union has to be prepared to shut the NFL down.

5. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    Really? If some random person with no direct knowledge made an accusation about you, your employer would launch an investigation? Even after your employer already discredited the source of the accusation?

btw if that is true let me know, because I've heard things. :lolol:

6. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Well perhaps an investigation isn't the best word, but if allegations were made against me (from who doesn't matter), they would look into it. That might mean an investigation (called a "fact finding" for my employer), or it could mean something a little less official, such as telling my direct supervisor to look into it and report back. In almost every case, I would be asked for my side.

I don't really know the details about this "source" being discredited. I haven't followed the case much at all.

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Here's really all you need to know and therefore it shouldn't even be an issue any longer.

"Pharmacist intern Charlie Sly, the source who accused Harrison et. al. in the AJA story, since retracted those accusations, telling ESPN’s Chris Mortensen that he lied to a reporter for the story that ran last December".

The entire article can be found here if interested.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...on-Provide-the-Interview/stories/201608160138

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I was typing a reply explaining why the NFL had botched the handling of the footballs on that game day to the point of making the evidence invalid, but I went into it at length a year and a half ago. If you're at all curious why I think I'm making more than a lick of sense, you can always search for my unpopular view on the subject. In addition to the mismanagement of the game day evidence, there was already a penalty on the books for football tampering - $25k. So, if they really did deflate 11 footballs (which the "science" didn't prove), that's $275k. I DO think they're guilty, and I've enjoyed some schadenfreude at their expense, but I think it's a horse load of BS and an overreach by the league.

Now, if the league interviews JH and then suspends him, well then that's a different story. But demanding that he come in, look them in the face, and say he didn't do it? That's hardly an onerous requirement.

9. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    They keep talking about Brady...but the first time article 46 was used to the best of my knowledge was Ben getting suspended 4 games for off the field allegations and ZERO CHARGES...But because Ben said ok..and took his punishment no one said a thing...to this day.

HACK
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    James has repeatedly pissed in a cup to prove he didn't do it. He almost got into trouble for posting video of it. In fact he got threatened with a "positive result" if he did. I don't know any way to interpret that other than that the league reserves the right to fail any player at any time for any reason. Under those circumstances, I'm doing the absolute minimum required by the CBA, and ANY request/demand beyond the minimum is presumed to be a set up for a failed result. James could go in, answer all their questions, and they could declare him guilty without a single shred of evidence.

If I'm JH, there isn't a prayer that I'm walking into a kangaroo court. At least with pee, there's evidence that can be re-tested in the event of a lawsuit.

11. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    With Rooney yelling "Throw the book at him!", Ben wasn't really in a position to not accept his punishment.

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Harrison has agreed to meet with the league. His agent said that he will make himself available for an interview at the Steelers facility at 5:00 pm on August 29th.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    The league threatened suspension for detrimental conduct if an interview wasn't given by August 25th, so we'll see.

14. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    Obviously they reached an accord with the NFL.

15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Well, according to ESPN, the league has not yet accepted the proposed meeting time/place.

16. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    I can't imagine scheduling an interview without consulting with the other party.

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    They haven't scheduled an interview. Nothing I've seen indicates they've consulted with the NFL. The letter sent on his behalf by the NFLPA was a notification of when and where he's willing to be interviewed, and it was peppered with finger wagging.

18. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What??! That make no sense. I get so tired of you wimps ..you can't give up that much with over ones self. The Only One that has that much control,authority,and say over your life...is Jesus Christ. If you were called into the office for every allegation that said against you...you would never leave the bosses office. I, being operation manager, have almost heard it all. There has to be some common sense utilized in every accusation. Your boss would have so many lawsuits against the company then you could shake a stick at....silly...kiss ups...spineless people that allow people to treat you any kind of way...wow
    Take note, at a real Man and how he handles his business. Deebo, you better not back down

19. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  20. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    So why even suggest a meeting on the 29th? So he'll (potentially) meet with Goodell and then he'll be suspended anyway by not getting it done by the 25th (knowing how overreaching the comish's office is)? Why even bother.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    take bell with you james and get his done too. shouldn't we get 4 games back for the ben incident? :smiley1::cool:

22. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  23. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Not even the NFL is dumb enough to suspend a guy for doing nothing wrong just because he agreed to meet on a day that's 4 days later than their BS deadline. Besides, even if they did suspend him, it would be pending the meeting taking place. So the suspension would be lifted 4 days later. The NFL couldn't suspend him indefinitely and then refuse to meet with him. This was simply Harrison giving the league the finger while ensuring they couldn't suspend him.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So I guess Deebos a wimp :shrug:

25. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    According to Dulac, James Harrison has just been informed his meeting with NFL investigators is Thursday at 11 am at the Steelers facility. That would be the original deadline.