1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Threatens James Harrison With Suspension

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Aug 15, 2016.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    What if the players threatened to strike if Goodell is not removed? I think I might actually support that move. Even if it meant no football for a little bit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yes but a recanted claim from a guy who said he just wanted to impress someone is not sufficient evidence which the CBA clearly states has to be present.

3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Not a chance the players strike on this thing.

First, they have a valid contract in force. Strike now and the NFLPA faces serious legal issues, and whatever player protections there are disappear.
    Second, these dumbasses agreed to the discipline terms in the last CBA. It's too late now to complain that you don't like them. As much as players cry and moan about the conduct policy, they're extremely willing to bargain they're leverage away, probably for only a few more $s.

If Harrison et al take one for their NFLPA brothers by refusing to interview and get suspended, they are fools.

4. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Maybe they are all guilty.

As such they have a right to defend themselves and use the NFLPA to protect themselves. Goodell has ultimate power over punishment, thats not ultimate power to seek punishables. The NFLPA grandstanding and stalling is just an attempt to protect their players until they see credible evidence. The players will happily take that protection, especially if they are guilty.

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The thing is, I believe these guys when they stay that the Al-jazeera story is BS. Probably Godell and the NFL do too. But, they're gonna investigate it, so no one can say they didn't. And they're not gonna let the NFLPA slide on the terms of CBA, because if they let them slide, even one time on a BS issue, they'll have to let them slide again and again in the future.

6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    James was randomly PED tested. Today !!! And did I say randomly...... Hmmm

Cajun

7. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Th informant recanted the Harrison allegation. Why do an interview on an imaginary charge that never happened ?

It's strong arm tactics and utter non sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I want to say James Harrison is on roids but then I get reminded what true Roid bodies look like, see Laron Landry. then I look back at Harrison and yeah, that's attainable naturally. He's big but he's like backyard prison big with a **** ton of strength. Again, strength doesn't correlate to size. He is also not like 5% bodyfat

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I have a simple solution.....light Roger on fire,I will volunteer for that part and just have James piss on him to put it out to which James claimed he wouldn't do. Maybe that will give Roger the love from James he so clearly desires.....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. tbrucemom

tbrucemom Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    To those of you saying "just do the interview", why should he?! Because AL JAZEERA accuses JH and a couple other players of doping without any PROOF and threatens to SUSPEND them if they don't bow down before him! I guess those that say this is ok don't have a problem bending over and taking whatever someone wants to give you instead of standing up for yourself. I don't think this is anything against JH personally, GODell is just a jerk. Last week he said he wouldn't let Dallas wear a helmet decal honoring the police officers killed there. I don't know how he keeps his job, he's a despicable human being. If it wasn't for my love for my Steelers I would boycott the NFL because of him.

11. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    You can stand on principle in a democracy, not in a dictatorship. Nowhere in the constitution does it say you have rights in a private organization. The NFL is a club and the commish is a dictator, just as Brady found out in the courts. That`s just the way it is.

It would be stupid to be suspended, "The suspension for each such player will begin on Friday, August 26 and will continue until he has fully participated in an interview." It`s up to the owners to make changes to limit Goodell`s powers.

As far as setting a precedent for a commish or his rep having to travel to a players home for interviews, that`s just not going to happen.

If JH misses any regular season games suspended for this, that would be totally stupid.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Either way.. Roger Goodell took this as a course of action and now deems it necessary to take action; recanted report or not.

Again... while we all can be up in arms... Article 46 and the 31 representatives of the NFL PA are to blame. In the end.. any further form of conflict will be the "billionaires vs. millionaires" trope... such as this one.

Point being:

Goodell is now a god and has free reign with whatever directly or indirectly affects the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    A little perspective... They're asking him to fly to NYC and TALK. Is that some sort of cruel and inhuman punishment? Collective bargaining giveth, and taketh away...

Funny that I haven't heard similar outrage over Brady's suspension, which is way more of an overreach than demanding that certain players come to NYC and talk about allegations.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016

Yeah but operate under the assumption that they are guilty and then it makes sense theres a great deal of push back.

If there were truth to it, then it would also make sense that the NFL bit their tongue and let one of its Ambassadors/TV commercial symbols of the NFL (Peyton) go through an entire late regular season, postseason, and superbowl before bringing it back up as if they have new information when they do not.

Someone can be pressured into recanting something they actually believed in when investigating and reporting it.

Or, maybe its all BS. And Peytons wife can lead recievers better than he can, who know, I'm just spitballin.

15. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Oh I get what you are saying. I think that is why the NFLPA is digging their heels in. I think they may see this as an opportunity to beat Goodell at his own game in the whole sticking to the CBA. I also think they are going to use that in the Bell appeal especially now that another players info has been leaked by the NFL.

16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
  17. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  18. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Best way to protect the integrity of the league would be to fire goodell!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    If the NFLPA is going to advise Harrison and the others, then they need to put the full weight of the union behind the players. If they aren't willing to do that, then they need to STFU and go away.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    james needs to meet with roger in the dark alley behind the deli at about midnight. come alone roger and we'll talk. :hehehe::cool:

21. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Except for the fact that the accusation was recanted, and the league has refused to provide any other significant reason for continuing the investigation.
    So yes, there is question.

For the people saying "just do the interview", read this carefully.
    The players can bend over backwards, and the league can still decide that it wasn't "meaningful" enough.
    And once a suspension is made, the Commissioner can decide to keep it going, without rhyme or reason.

The only safe course is to make sure the Commish has laid out some reasonable ground rules before anything happens, instead of whatever the chicken entrails reading tells him to do.

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    NFLPA exec George Atallah was on the Dan Patrick show this morning talking about the NFLPA's stance on this.

"That letter in particular crossed the line of professional conduct."
    "We don't believe the League has the right to impose players to come in for a meeting based on nothing."
    "Now Packers and Steelers fans are getting a taste of what happens when a League doesn't respect the rules of engagement."

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If I heard similar outrage from the Brady supporters.. I wonder what some of them would think when Robert Kraft was at the forefront of the construction of Article 46.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This statement is a tertiary of various forms of english. They are as follows;

Oxymoron- NFL PA states that the league has no right to do such actions yet have been fighting against other incidents that are quite controvesial by nature (i.e. Ray Rice case).

Hyperbole- The NFL PA states the invites for the league are based on nothing yet Goodell still believes it is necessary to question them about a recanted case.

Irony- NFL PA states what the NFL is doing is wrong yet gave Goodell said power in 2011 under Article 46.

However.. the second bolded statement is most intriguing to me. Atallah lumps up both Steelers and Packers fans as of both are victims. As I have stated multiple times over.. any team not named the Pittsburgh Steelers who complains in regards towards what succeeded Article 46 are in no position to do so. This especially applies to the Packers who are a fan owned franchise. As such, everyone from that organization can blame themselves are far as I am concerned.

The final bolded statement is what the Rooney family already called years ago; doubly so for James Harrison himself. The NFL PA and the other 31 wanted more financial flexibility and they got it... at the cost of fighting back.

Either way.... quite seldom to achieve the "Holy Trinity of Regret" if you ask me TerribleTowelFlying. Truly a rare feat indeed... which begs the question towards the NFL PA...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  25. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    You mean except for the fact that Brady was caught red handed and that there is actual evidence of cheating, as well as the Patriots being repeat offenders?

I'm sorry, but you're not making a lick of sense.