1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sammie Coates looking good in camp so far

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Aug 1, 2016.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    And exactly which profession is it that relies on one's fumbling technique? :rolleyes: If its any consolation to Mr Coates, Mr (HOF) Bettis had a very untimely fumble once upon a time but was fortunately bailed out by his QB.

2. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    TIMES A MILLION
    HAPPY VALENTINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats an inside joke many won't get :roflmao:

4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Coates will be fine. Probably just trying too hard.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Heard Sammy say in an interview that those fumbles were the first of his career.

6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    People want to get all bent out of shape on some drops he made. It's only practice so I tend to think his technique will improve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelAU

SteelAU Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    I go to all the Auburn games, and Sammie is right. He never fumbled in the 3 years he played. Somewhere over 80 catches.

I feel he was concentrating too hard, and is feeling a little of the limelight and pressure that goes with him needing to be that long ball threat and another go to receiver.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i see it as the way he carries the ball after the catch. no, no, no sammie. he should eat sleep and shower with a football in his arms until the season starts and have ninja's waiting around every corner to knock it away. for every time he drops it from here on out he has to cover himself in chocolate and hang out in front of casey hamptons house. :cool:

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I really figured Tomlin would make him walk around with the ball in his hands. Tomlin absolutely despises fumbling.

10. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Coates seems to be thinking instead of just relying on motor memory. Unfortunately, the only way for that to change is repetitions in real-time which will include some blunders. I still think he will be OK. The tools are there.

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would take Eli Rogers over Coates. Didn't like Coates when drafted and still don't see anything in him other than the measurables. Probably in the minority on this and I'm not rooting against him but I'm just not optimistic about him. Still early in his career and '16 season so time will tell.

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. Coates is a guy you take a chance on due to his measurables, but he's never been a particularly good football player despite his athleticism. I picked him up in every fantasy league I'm in due to his upside, but he's showing that he's simply not cut out for the job, which isn't surprising based on his past

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If Sammie Coates prepares correctly (comes to camp in shape READY TO WORK) he will
    have no problem succeeding in the NFL. He is able to make separation,needs to work
    on ball security. If he doesn't he will be just another DHB. Remember Steelers had to get somebody in that draft year, because they knew of Martavius Bryant's dope smoking problem.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016