1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Who starts next to Mike Mitchell week 1?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 08SteelCurtain, May 5, 2016.

1. Sean Davis

30 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. Shamarko Thomas

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. Robert Golden

42 vote(s)
    54.5%
  4. Doran Grant

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Iv'e seen that after this thread. Thats great for Moats and other vets but simplified doesn't mean easy for rookies. Bud didn't light it up last year, his season wasn't much better than JJ's under LeBeau. He had 3 more sacks but 14 less tackles and played in 2 more games.

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Knowing Tomlin I'd say Golden but if I had my way I'd say Grant. Might as well see what we got. The main thing is Antwon Blake will be nowhere to be found.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I voted for Davis, but don't have a problem if its Golden. I thought he did well when stepping up due to injuries last year.

Guess I'm optimistic, but I think Davis has a legit chance to start. They drafted him higher than most expected so they have to be comfortable with him. They made a concerted effort to fix the secondary this offseason, if Davis performs in preseason why delay the transition? Start him week 1 and he'll be all the more knowledgeable during the late season push and playoff run.

4. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Call me crazy, but I still hold out hope for Shamarko.... kids a class act and is probably the best hitter on the team... pound for pound, he's one of, if not our strongest defender..
    If he learns his assignments and plays with some discipline, then the sky is still the limit

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    While I think, like most on here, that it is likely Golden will start, I say the future is now and the only way the D gets better is to play who they drafted, that is Sean Davis. If he doesn't start, I do hope he gets 25% of the reps to work his way into the lineup.

6. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I just don`t understand what Grant did behind closed doors, to get relegated to the practice squad,
    cut, and then brought back...

I`m not sure how well he would do playing out of position, at safety, instead of CB, but, I would like to see him on the field..

It`s not like we have a ton of good, well established options, and he played well enough in college, for us to draft him..:hmm:..

Of course, I`m a biased Buckeye fan, and that`s burned me before...:shrug:

Ya can call me crazy, too... because I am hoping, as well..

But he`s had his chances, and hasn`t won the trust of the coaches yet...

Hoping is one thing, but if I`m betting...

I`m betting he ain`t gonna be here much longer. Sad to say it..:huh:

HOPE I`m wrong!:thumbs_up:

I`m thinkin Golden will start, but I`m hopin` he gets beat out by Davis, or a free agent pick-up!

All of that confusion, is why I couldn`t even cast an "educated vote"...

Who knows what they will do, all I know is we need to improve!!!

And I don`t think Dupree was as bad as his stats showed, when quoted earlier...

I think our D-Line, MIGHT get some more pressure on opposing QB`s this year, which will help our secondary...

I`m allowed to hope, right?!?

GO STEELERS!!!

7. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I picked Shamarko and it looks like I was one of only a few! I would like to see Davis get a lot of reps, but isn't Tomlin a big "tie goes to the veteran" type of guy? Golden seems like a safe bet, but with a smaller ceiling than Thomas and Davis. I just think this is Shamarko's last chance with a relatively short leash. Great special teams guy, but I would love for him to show what he can do in the secondary. Can we have one play next year where one of our safeties jumps right in front of a pass Ed Reed-style and high steps it into the endzone? All I'm asking for is one! Against New England or Baltimore preferably!

8. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    No, Troy`s gone, and he ain`t comin` back...:frown:

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  10. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member