1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Maryland CB Sean Davis

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn't by into Cousins when he first started playing and while I don't think he is Tom Brady, he's doing a nice job and will have no trouble with a rookie.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not only did I want the Steelers to draft him, I have even advocated to try and trade for
    him a few years ago:)

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I believe @JackAttack 5958 was really high on Cousins and wanted us to trade for him, too.

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Strange that the skins didnt give him at least a 5 year contract and instead was willing to tag him for a 19 mill$ 2016 season, not very cost effective because it's going to cost them more in the long run if he has another good season and decides to go free agent....

5. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Shows you that they have their on reservations about his validity as well. In the back of their minds their thinking, " One year wonder/fluke". lol

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, someone's going to pay $19 million in one season to someone they think is a fluke. Yep, you've got it :thumbs up:

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    According to this, its was Cousins doing, wanted to see what the market value was for QB's...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ise-tag-to-retain-the-rights-to-kirk-cousins/

And according to this, a long term deal may still be worked out...

http://was.247sports.com/Bolt/NFL-Insider-predicts-Kirk-Cousins-Redskins-longterm-deal-45319194

Dean must love the taste of his foot, its always in his mouth.

8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
  9. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Yeah..they would. Because it's better to take a short term hit then to commit bigger money to a guy and he turns out to be a fluke. AKA Nick Foles in Los Angeles. It's a win/win for Cousins (because he gets 19 mil) and a win for the Rams because it's just a hit this season and nothing more if he doesn't pan out. Basically a "prove it to me" situation. If Cousins bombs, Redskins continue their QB search.

10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Elvis..please read the bold print in the article. Once again, daddy is right.

Kirk Cousins Franchise-Tagged by Redskins: Latest Contract Details and Reaction

By Joseph Zucker, Featured Columnist
    Kirk Cousins defied many of his doubters and became a viableNFL starting quarterback in 2015. Now, the 27-year-old signal-caller is about to get paid like one.

On Tuesday, the Redskins announced they have placed a nonexclusive franchise tag on Cousins. Grant Paulsen of 106.7 The Fan initially reported the move.

Cousins' agent, Mike McCartney, confirmed his client accepted the franchise tender on Wednesday. On Thursday, Cousins posted a photo of himself signing the tender:

I'm told this is the final step in making it officially official. I am back with the Re... https://t.co/2O8UzxOLU9 pic.twitter.com/EgfhmxkpAV

— Kirk Cousins (@KirkCousins8) March 3, 2016

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported general manager Scot McCloughan informed Cousins the team planned to franchise-tag him after negotiations between the two parties broke down.

NFL Network's Albert Breer reported the Redskins have offered Cousins deals that top $16 million per year; however, Cousins' camp would like to see that closer to $20 million.

Opting for the nonexclusive tag will almost certainly ensure Cousins remains with the team, but it's not a foregone conclusion. USA Today'sNate Davis explained the nonexclusive tag allows the player to negotiate with other teams. Should Cousins sign with somebody else, that team would owe Washington two first-round draft picks.

However, Breer noted Wednesday that Cousins plans to sign the tender and report in April.

The Dallas Cowboys used the same strategy to re-sign wideout Dez Bryant last spring.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reported the Philadelphia Eagles, New York Jets and Denver Broncos were among the teams waiting to see how the Redskins handled Cousins' contract situation before proceeding.

While the move means the Redskins won't be tied down to Cousins for the long term, they're potentially paying him a king's ransom for 2016, per ESPN.com's Field Yates:

If Kirk Cousins plays on the franchise tag this season, he’ll have the highest base salary for any QB in the NFL in 2016: $19.953M.

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) March 1, 2016

Washington will hope Cousins is the franchise QB the team has lacked since the days of Mark Rypien. It looked as though Robert Griffin IIIwould assume that role, but between his injuries and Cousins' improvement, that is no longer the case.

Speaking after Washington's NFC Wild Card Round exit, Cousins gave every indication he wanted to stay in the nation's capital, per CBS Sports' Will Brinson:

I feel good about where this organization is headed and the nucleus of guys that we have. It's year-to-year, so we will see where we are at going into next year. ... I think I want to be where I am wanted. You want to be with people who believe in you and we are going to find out, because we haven't discussed it yet, how much I am wanted and where that'll go. But I'm sure you know it's a business and the team is going to operate with that mindset and this is my first time going through that process in the NFL. It's new to me, I don't know a whole lot about it, so we'll see how it goes.

At the Senior Bowl in January, McCloughan admitted the franchise tag was "an option" but added a long-term deal was the ultimate goal, perAndrew Walker of the team's official website.

"I want him to be part of the Redskins," McCloughan said. "You'd rather get a long-term deal done, but we have a lot of options we're dealing with right now, and that's one of them."

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reported Feb. 18 negotiations on a multiyear extension weren't going well between Cousins and Washington:

Adam Klug of The Doug Gottlieb Show knew one way or the other Cousins was bound to see a massive increase on his $660,000 base salary in 2015:

Kirk Cousins this offseason: pic.twitter.com/VMWUgWSLNu

— Adam Klug (@Adam_Klug) December 20, 2015

As if any more evidence was necessary, this all but signals the end of Griffin in the nation's capital. The former Heisman Trophy winner is due $16.2 million in 2016 after the team exercised his option in April, and there's little chance Washington will pay him that much to be Cousins' backup for a second consecutive season.

Rapoport noted the financial ramifications of releasing Griffin and re-signing Cousins:

#Redskins had RGIII allocated for $16.1M on his fifth-year option that'll go away when he's released. Kirk Cousins' $20M goes in its place.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 1, 2016

The Redskins are hitching their wagons to Cousins, and given his play in 2015, he deserves at least another year to lead the team's offense.

Cousins performed well above expectations in 2015, throwing for 4,166 yards, 29 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. His 69.8 percent completion rate was also the highest in the NFL.

Still, questions remain as to whether he can be a successful starting quarterback in the NFL. His career touchdown-to-interception ratio (47-30) is average, and he benefited to a certain extent from Washington's soft 2015 schedule. Not only did the Redskins play in one of the weakest divisions in the league, but they also faced off with every team from the NFC South, which lacked much quality beyond the Carolina Panthers.

Win-loss records aren't a great standard by which to hold players. At the same time, this stat from Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson sums up the skepticism around Cousins:

#Redskins Kirk Cousins could get a new deal averaging $17-$19 mil a yr. But in 26 starts, he hasn't beaten a team w/ a winning record. Zero.

— Charles Robinson (@CharlesRobinson) January 11, 2016

At times, Cousins is discussed as a young quarterback despite the fact he'll turn 28 in August. That makes him older than Griffin and Blaine Gabbert and the same age as Matthew Stafford, who aren't often characterized as "young quarterbacks" deserving of more time to develop under center.

Some of Cousins' supporters will point to Aaron Rodgers as an example of a quarterback who blossomed somewhat late into his NFL career. However, Rodgers was already a Pro Bowler and Super Bowl champion by his age-28 season (2011).

Cousins earned a massive pay increase in 2016, but it's tough to determine how much he is worth. The Baltimore Ravens paid Joe Flacco at the peak of his value—six years, $120.6 million—and they've suffered the consequences for it ever since.

In that respect, NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal believes using the franchise tag on Cousins might be the best move for Washington:

Cousins won't like it but the franchise tag seems perfect for Redskins. Make him do it again before long-term $$

— Gregg Rosenthal (@greggrosenthal) March 1, 2016

If Cousins regresses next year, the Redskins are only overpaying for him for one season, after which they could re-sign him to more reasonable terms or let him walk completely.

Should he continue to improve in 2016, Washington will have a much easier time throwing a massive extension offer his way a year from now.

11. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Well, that pretty much does it for this topic. Cousins is not proven even to his own management. So I move on. :cool::cool::cool::cool::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Let's take a stroll back in time and see what we're actually debating. You said that Cousins would be a good QB to have our young DBs face in their first NFL game experience. I'm not going to go back a reread your silly posts on this, but suffice to say you've said or implied that he sucks and will be no problem for a rookie in his first game to deal with. Now, you use the 'Skins' hesitation to do a long term extension at $20+ mil/yr, despite willingness to commit $20 mil in 2016, as evidence that he sucks. Yeah, that makes sense.

Go ahead and read the paragraph above your bolded paragraph. You know... the paragraph that shows that he had the best completion percentage in the NFL. As I pointed out earlier, he had 16 TDs and 2 ints at home - and we play them in Washington. It's absolutely undeniable that he was very effective at home last year, and very good overall.

So somehow, despite all evidence to the contrary, he sucks? A question of whether he's worth a long-term deal in the 20 mil/yr range means that he MAY not be a true franchise QB. Nobody here has said that he is a top tier franchise QB. However, there's a huge gap between maybe not being a top tier franchise QB and sucking. ALL of the evidence shows that he's closer to the franchise QB end of that gap than the sucking end of the gap.

What's happened here is you've made a silly statement that cannot be backed up with a single fact, and are using a dopey straw man argument to "prove" your point. It's the equivalent of saying "that guy is only worth $700 million, so he's not a billionaire and is therefore poor." That's the equivalent of what you're saying.

14. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Let's stroll back..

It is only silly in your mind. And that's your opinion. I don't think that much of Cousins; His team isn't that too sure about him either; and based on his performance against teams with winning records, I really feel good about Davis starting against him. Now did I say he down right sucks? No...those are your words.

There are plenty of "facts" that suggest that Cousins was just a fluke. But you choose to ignore them because they don't support your stance. Okay..that's your prerogative. Bottom line is I feel Davis can and should start against Cousins and Cousins would be a perfect QB to break him in on.

Can't make it any clearer to you then that. :applaud:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    He's not the perfect QB to start Davis against. He's just the best option in our schedule because hes still the most unproven, relatively.

But starting a rookie against any NFL QB and the weapons around that QB, is never perfect.

Even if it is the closest to perfect out of the 16.

Kirk Cousins accuracy is pretty much the only stat you need to look at. Because once the ball leaves his hands and into the hands of Jordan Reed, or whoever, his stats at the moment and on that play dont matter. As a safety, its less Davis vs. Cousins, more Davis vs. all the NFL caliber players and whichever happens to have the ball in hand.

So Davis vs. Jordan Reed/DeSean Jackson

Not perfect.

Now this could turn into whether Davis is a better option than the less than stellar Safeties we have and I'd probably agree. But probably not week 1. Even IF the best game for him to come into is the week 1 game.

16. DonKnock

DonKnock Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2016

The thing is, they don't think he is a fluke because the RacialSlurs coaching staff wanted nothing more than to move on from RG3, which they managed to gain the momentum to do through Cousins squeaking them into the playoffs. In their eyes, a success.

Now that they have ran RG3 out of town, with only Colt McCoy as the only other option on the depth chart, they are stuck putting their eggs in the Cousins basket. The coaching staff most likely believes that he is still young enough to mold and more years behind center will get him over the hump. Washington also hasn't been one to avoid giving players a large payday.

When you look at their division, Romo and Eli are both getting older and Philly is in complete rebuild mode from the Chip Kelly disaster. Cousins may not be a great option, but in 5 years he could allow them to be the perennial front runner in the division:shrug:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    zactly. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I hear ya, but money talks. If they really thought he was a franchise QB, they'd have locked him up long term. Right now, he's on a one year "prove it to me" deal. That says they are not sure of him.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that says more that they don't want him going anywhere until they get the best deal they can negotiated. :cool:

21. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    So Dean has now established that the use of the franchise tag, means that a franchise doesn't view the tagged player as a franchise player....

only Dean could manage to ruminate himself into a logical conundrum