1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin tricked the Bengals

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, May 8, 2016.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i like burns and don't think we got a lesser deal by taking him instead of wj3. time will tell. :cool:

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Meh, everyone knew we needed a corner. As did the Bengals. Not much of a hand to tip.

I still see WJIII and Burns as much of a muchness. Time will tell.

3. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    True...
    But there was a wide array of opinions on who were the best cornerbacks after Apple & Ramsey.

It's just a coincidence the Bengals had Jackson rated as exactly the #3 cornerback as us?? Not Alexander, Fuller, Burns or the other two cornerbacks? No...im not buying that. We did the homework on Jackson; pro-days; wining & dining; talking to him about coverage's he felt most comfortable, etc.etc. And we made it very public (big mistake). And after we did the homework, and liked him as much as we did, we basically told the entire league, " Here is the next best CB in this draft behind Ramsey & Apple". If Colbert & Tomlin are sold on him, what homework does any other team need to do on him?

If it wasn't for our obvious love affair with him, we dont know what CB the Bengals would have had rated that high if we hadn't basically told them.

They had a need; but having Jackson rated as high as us? Just a coincidence? Nope..not buying it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Just like in poker, we have to do a better job at not tipping our hand.

5. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    I think the writing is pretty on the wall here. All the WRs were taken, and the Bengals took the CB we were targeting.

We didnt necessarily get 'fleeced' thats what happens when you get beat in the playoffs, you get to pick before that team.

As long as the Steelers are successful the other AFCN teams will draft AFCN like players that we want.

Burns was my dirty draft secret in that other thread and I'm glad we got him. But coach T didn't trick anyone. Cmon

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    We are lucky to have so many fans that know what our coaches are thinking. A true blessing in Steeler Nation!

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Really? Cincy was hanging all their hopes on a GM that you don't even think cracks the top 10 in the league? Thats hilarious. In case you haven't noticed, we don't exactly hit it out of the park when it comes to evaluating CB's. Why would anyone be hedging their bets on our scouting reports for that position?

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
  9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Are you saying that, of all the teams in the league to trust on appraising and drafting CBs, the Bengals would look to us...?

10. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    The last few times a division rival took a DB mocks projected us drafting we wound up with the better players.

In 2006, James Joseph was taken one pick ahead of us by Cincy. We took Santonio Holmes.

2011 found several mocks suggesting Jimmy Smith was going to us at 31 and the Rats (thankfully) snatched him up at 27 -- leading us to Cam Heyward.

2012: Looking for CB help again but the last CB off the board in the first round went to Cincy with Dre Kirkpatrick at 17. We drafted DeCastro 24th.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Haven't you been on record saying Tomlin and Colbert stink at picking CB's?

12. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    I don't know where you guys think we're supposed to find these stud cornerbacks. It's certainly not in the draft. Especially when your average draft position in a nine-year span is the 21st pick (and 5 of those 9 years we picked after 21).

2007: We picked 15th. Darrelle Revis went on the board one pick before us. Zero Pro Bowl CBs were selected after that for the entire draft.

2008: We picked 23rd. Talib was gone at 20. We picked Mendenhall. Only two Pro Bowl CBs were selected after that. Mike Jenkins was taken at 25 and made a Pro Bowl in 2009 in his only impactful season in the league. Brandon Flowers was taken 35th and has had a pretty good (but far from great) career.

2009: We picked 32nd. Malcolm Jenkins and Vontae Davis were already off the board early (14th and 25th). We missed on Ziggy Hood at 32, however, zero Pro Bowl CBs were selected after our pick.

2010: We picked 18th and drafted Maurkice Pouncey (which we'll hear no complaints about). Joe Haden was off the board at 7th. Devin McCourty (27th) who is now a safety and Alterraun Verner (104th) who is on his second team already are the only two Pro Bowl CBs selected after our pick.

2011: We picked 31st and scored big time with Cam Heyward. Patrick Peterson was gone by the 5th pick. Prince Amakamura was gone at 19. The Rats missed on Jimmy Smith at 27. Only Richard Sherman in the 5th round (154th overall) made the Pro Bowl at CB after our pick of Heyward.

2012: We picked 24th and took David DeCastro to fill a much needed hole on the o-line. The Cowboys missed on Morris Claiborne at 6. The Bills missed on Stephen Gillmore at 10. The Bungals missed on Dre Kirkpatrick at 17. Only Janoris Jenkins at 39 and Josh Norman in the 5th (143rd overall) were Pro Bowl CBs from that draft.

2013: We picked 17th and took Jarvis Jones. The Jets missed on Dee Millner at 9. The Raiders missed on DJ Hayden at 12. Only Desmond Trufant (22nd) and Honey Badger (3rd round, 69th overall) -- who both dropped significantly due to well-earned character issues -- were Pro Bowl CBs from that draft. We didn't get a chance to draft Honey Badger because we wasted our previous pick on some running back from Michigan State.

2014: We picked 15th and took Ryan Shazier. Justin Gilbert (8th) and Kyle Fuller (14th) were off the board and haven't made a Pro Bowl in their brief careers. Darquze Dennard (who so many wanted) fell to 24th and hasn't been much. Jason Verrett went to SD at 20th and made a Pro Bowl in his second season and he's the only CB from that draft, so far, to do so.

2015: We picked 22nd and took Bud Dupree. Trae Waynes went to the Vikings at 11 (and I know nothing of him). Kevin Johnson went to the Texans at 16. Marcus Peters went to KC at 18 and is already a Pro Bowl player.

That's NINE YEARS of Tomlin and Colbert drafting for our team. How many CB's drafted after our first-round pick have made Pro Bowls in nine years? 10. Out of over 250 CBs. One of 'em is a safety and a few of 'em are on different teams now. In fact, the only real studs on that list are Sherman, Honey Badger, and Norman. And we're upset because our front office didn't find those gems who slipped past every team in the league at least twice?

Heck, there have been 9 Pro Bowl CBs drafted ahead of us in those 9 years.

Basically, your Pro Bowl CBs are found in the top half of the NFL draft. Those 9 guys who have been selected ahead of us in the Tomlin/Colbert tenure have gone at an average of the 13th overall pick. We haven't picked higher than 15th in that entire time.

Basically, if you want a franchise, lockdown corner, you're gonna have to suck to the point you fall into those top 13 picks and, even then, it's no guarantee your guy will pan out as there have been more misses than hits with first-round corners.

I think we need to appreciate the job our guys in the front office have done in keeping us competitive for a solid decade.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I'm saying that the way Colbert/ Tomlin did their due diligence (and they did a wonderful job) that when they so whole heartedly settled down and focused in on Jackson ( so much so, the entire league knew it) that basically we did their homework for them. Dont get me wrong; the Bengals have been a good drafting team for the last few years but we basically put it in Las Vegas lights in the night that, " the Pittsburgh Steelers after weeks of research are taking William Jackson with the 25th pick!!!"

Remember what Mike Mayock said on the NFL network?? He said after the Bengals took Jackson that every team in the NFL knew who we wanted at 25.

Yeah..I dont think the Bengals just happened to come to the same conclusion of who the 3rd best CB in the draft was as the same as ours.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I'm on record as saying before the draft at how impressed I am at Tomlin & Colbert's tenacity at really digging to get the CB position right. They did their due diligence all the way leading up to the draft. But their track record coming into the draft was bad as of late. But I had every confidence by the way they were really focusing in on the secondary that they would get it right this draft. And I still think they did.

But Tomlin wasn't "tricking" anyone. Jackson is who they wanted. Per the link provided in the above post.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there is also no way to tell how much of a difference they saw between wj3 and burns. it may have been very little. they didn't mull the pick over very long before making it once jackson was off the board which leads me to think there wasn't alot of difference to them. :cool:

16. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    wasn't a lot of difference or just had their plan B in place and executed it.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Two things jumped out at me while lurking around their board:

Some of their board members are paranoid conspiracy theory nuts. Just like we have.

Most aren't. Just like we have.

All are fans having fun, here and there.

• Like Like x 2
  18. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012

he has fooled many into thinking he is a good head coach

19. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    There are illusions (usually presented in the form of goofy memes to hide the idiocy of the message and illicit giggles from the simple minded) and there are facts:

Winning Percentage: .639 (best in team history)
    Super Bowl Titles: 1 (same as Bill Cowher in six years less time)
    Super Bowl appearances: 2 (same as Bill Cowher in six years less time)

Don't look now, but Tomlin has put HIS team in place: Antonio Brown, Le'Veon Bell, Maurkice Pouncey, David DeCastro, Cam Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Ryan Shazier, Bud Dupree . . .

What are the haters gonna go with now? Goofy memes, probably.

• Like Like x 1
  20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't know if I should be hell yeahing in agreement or be extremely insulted because I enjoy a good giggle at a funny meme.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012
    tomlin has some nice players but what has he done with them?
    missed playoffs, one and done(as home team)
    and needed the jets to crap the bed just to get in last year

when ben is gone and tomlin replaces him with his qb, then it will be tomlins team.
    tomlins super bowl win was with cowhers players.
    as cowhers players left and tomlins players entered, his playoff success has diminished.
    facts that cant be disputed

22. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I needed a good laugh... thank you

23. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Dumb diddy dumb

24. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    too many fools, don't know what good coaching is

25. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    So Tomlin/Colbert stunk at drafting CBs... but then they put more effort in to it... thereby tipping their hand to Cincinatti (who chose not to put in effort of their own, and just waited to glean what Pit would do).... so, how were Colbert/Tomlin supposed to succeed. In your view, they either don't put in enough work, or put the work in a tip their hand.

It's a convenient narrative you've created... it's always hilariously stupid.