1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers cornerbacks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 31, 2016.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    My prediction is that there will be some early mistakes, as it's a young group, but the ballhawking and playmaking is instantly improved.

The key to all of this is making sure Mike Mitchell is fully healthy, and there's a decent SS back there, so that the CBs can do their thing.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it should be a nice mix of vets and young guys in the secondary. there are only 2 guys that haven't at least been here for a year to learn unless another new safety is added out of the udfa's or futures picks. :cool:

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Feast or famine.. Called this right after the draft. The only reason that Seattle edges them for me currently in a Super Bowl matchup. Outside of Seattle and maybe Arizona, there really is not any team I can currently think of that takes on Pittsburgh head on and wins. Based on potential, add Houston to the list as well.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    All we have needed for the past 5 years is better DB play . Maybe we are finally headed in the right direction.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not quite. They needed to retool the entire team and now the DB's is the last group to be fixed. Actually, still need another LB, maybe two if Dupree doesn't pan out. But they are close.

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well I think we had a bit more talent at the other spots and should have addressed the DB situation sooner .IMO had they done so they would have been in better shape sooner ...Not to sure how long we can keep this Offense together, so we need to make hay while the sun is shining .

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the offense is different already. green, pouncey back, AV a full season, bryant out, nix full time, heath gone. several changes that have to come together and different depth too. as far as defense i think we will be much improved, but the offense will have to mesh as well. although we are in pretty good shape on both sides and should get better. :cool:

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think green will be great for us. Another green at te..as long as there is no drugs involved. We keep the 3 big "B's" on offense and were fine. The defense will significantly better with fresh young legs

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I see nothing but up side going forward. I'm concerned about linebacker depth but you cant have everything.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think there is talent at LB but just young talent. :cool:

12. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I was hoping they'd have added another cheap vet. It still could happen. That's my hope for that unit.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think we have plenty of vet at that spot. moats, harrison, JJ in his 4th, dupree and chickillo in their 2nd, mccord and feeney, johnson, williams, fort, matakevich, zumwalt, shazier, timmons. thats a pretty decent cast of players to choose from. :cool:

14. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Jj seems like a bust; Shazier cant stay on the field (but I love what he brings). Chickillo is still an unknown (but promising). Now you see how I see the corps. You could say I'm being greedy.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  15. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    i certainly have hope that this group plays at a higher level than some recent past groups have.

16. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Cant play any worse then last year's secondary.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Just for you Mac.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill...=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#axzz4Aqeaj7wp

He will get a chance some day, his special teams play should see his spot secured for the time being, much like Garvins was. I have some excitement about this kid.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    thanks BF. i always did think the kid had potential. reminds me a lot of a former OLB here. kevin greene maybe?????? :hehehe: his ex-team mate from the U also has some potential. it would be nice to see these two evolve with the steelers as two guys that could step in by either this year or next and save us a draft pick next year. i also still think feeney could make that move inside next to shazier by next season. either way we have a lot of potential in the pipeline at LB. thats a good thing.:cool:

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    You have to remember last year this defense was learning Butlers defense and they improved game after game after they became comfortable in his system, and they became familiar with the players by getting to know what to expect from their team mates, this year this defense should jell together pretty comfortably reacting instead of thinking about the schemes, this new secondary should improve game after game until they react instead of thinking about it.........

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Exactly. That secondary now has an infusion of talent and youth. Can't help but get better/be better by season's end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Plus Butler was refining his own system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    mccord has been cut by the steelers with an injury. we will see if he's picked back up and stashed on reserve/injured list. :cool:

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Actually they could instead of being ranked 27th against the pass, they could be 32nd :bowdown:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That sucks, he was a guy I wanted to see what he could do in the preseason and training camp. McCord seemed to have some pass rush potential, oh well players come and go.

25. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Then, bizarrely, they cut the guy they signed to replace him almost straight away.