1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Article about Bell makes me think this is his last year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, May 28, 2016.

1. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    No. Who is that?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    Franco is still the wrong analogy no matter how you slice it. Franco was completely done. Peezy was pretty much done. Faneca was pretty much done.

We're talking about one of the best at a skill position in the entire league who hasn't even entered his prime yet.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No Burro, they wanted more money than the Steelers thought they were worth. Like I said
    in a previous thread , unless your a Franchise QB you are not going to get a huge 3 contract with
    the PGH Steelers. Franco was a legend here in WPA and still is. Rooney's said goodbye to him
    real fast. The only player I can think of the Steelers made a mistake on was Rod Woodson.
    Getting back to original post, the Steelers will offer Bell a very (RB friendly contract)
    if he don't like it, they will let him walk.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Like Eddie said, we're talking about a player who's going to be looking for his second contract. You're comparing him to players that were at the end of their careers. Totally different situation.
    They'll pay for Bell if he's not over valuing himself like Mike Wallace did.
    Plus we always have the "franchise tag" option. I'd think it would be a little more reasonable than some other positions considering the RB position isn't bringing the money it once was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm with you on this too. I meant from the Steelers perspective, he's sustained a significant injury to each knee. If I'm trying to think of a reason that the Steelers may not want to invest in him, I only come up with injuries. Aside from being priced out of course.

The guy played every game in college, he's not injury prone, just been unlucky at the pro level in that regard. As you said, those injuries will happen to anyone in that situation. When I think of injury prone, I think of a guy like Woodley.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

The cardinals are negotiating with safety Tyrann Mathieu claiming they are going to make him the highest paid safety in the NFL even though there are the knees. He had one completely reconstructed after basically all the ligaments were shredded. Now he is recovering from a torn ACL in the other knee. Durability has to be a concern you would think but they want him signed before the season starts and the team isnt even sure he will be a 100% ready for the season opener, Mathieu himself says he isnt sure if he will be ready before game 3: Now in my opinion Bell hasnt had near the damage to his knees that TM has had and should receive consideration on a new contract this year if not soon at least after a few games into this season since I dont think he is as risky as Mathieu.......

7. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012

dope smokin, social media whore who wants to be a rapper.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Hey, I was only asking a question!

;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012

lol

10. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Personally I think the Steelers find a way to get a deal done with 3 out of the 4. Timmons will be the one left out, unless he takes a major discount to stay. DD, Bell and Brown will be Steelers for the next several years. But extending those 3 probably means no Bryant and possibly no Wheaton moving forward. The Steelers have some interesting decisions to make but I think they know they need to do as much as possible to keep DD, Bell and Brown. That is a lethal combination right there. All three can be argued they are the best at their position.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    Agree.

However, Bryant might be taking himself out of the market for a big payday allowing us to keep him in the fold. Not many teams looking to pay top dollar for a Ferrari that sits in their garage.

How valuable is Josh Gordon to the Clowns at the moment? How much would teams be willing to pay for that idiot?

I agree we'll lock up AB, Bell, and Decastro. We might be able to keep Martavis as well. Coates should be able to fill in as the third receiver soon making Wheaton expendable. Wheatons are a dime a dozen. He's good, but replaceable.

12. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I think it's too soon to say who we will and who we won't take. Too many other variables are still out there to influence our decisions.

For example: What if we take one of the top three running backs coming out of college in the next draft? That's going to influence what we offer Bell; If we offer Bell.
    Another example: What if Sammie Coates or Wheaton explodes this coming season? That's going to factor into the thinking regarding AB.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    True... However if Any of those receivers explodes, I don't think it will affect Brown. It will in fact push Bryant out the door a lot quicker

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. Browns not getting pushed out by Coates or Wheaton and I expect good things from Coates but AB is on another level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If Coates can learn to run routes I think he will make the transition from Bryant a pretty seamless one. Dang shame about Bryant though man.

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Bryant has learned the hard way about how quickly you need to grow up in the NFL. He's certainly the odd man out in that receiving corps at the moment.

17. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    And after practically getting his knee blown out twice, I wouldn't blame him...

18. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Let's put it this way..

If Brown wants the moon as far as a contract is concerned, and the front office thinks it's too much, the team can say they'll go with Coates (if he explodes) as the # 1 wide receiver going forward and then decides to take another WR in the draft again. And/or add another WR in free agency at a more reasonable price. Far fetched..yes. But stranger things have happened. Hopefully it will never come to that.

19. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I dont see how a hyperextended knee that takes 2 to 4 weeks to heal, and an ACL tear fitting into the category of blown out knees......

20. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I never fault players, especially football players, for taking the money. Those guys are really doing potential permanent damage to their bodies and their window to make money is so short they should chase the money. Plus in the NFL the contracts are not guaranteed. So you can be cut basically at any time. That is not the case with baseball and basketball. Those contracts are guaranteed. Heck Bobby Bonilla is still being paid by the Mets!

I also think that Brown, Ben, and the vets know that Pittsburgh isn't your ordinary NFL franchise and may be willing to take a little less to stay in Pittsburgh and keep the window open for another championship run(s). But in the same aspect they shouldn't be expected to take a significant "hometown" discount just because they have a good thing with the Steelers.

21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    If he prices himself out of the mix then yes he's gone in any scenario.

22. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    If I am not mistaken, the Rooneys said Bell wasnt going anywhere.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't believe the hyperextended knee report, think it was much worse than that. If you recall, there were questions about his readiness for 2015 season. By Bells own admission, he said he was about 80% when training camp was approaching. Thats a lot longer then 2-4 weeks healing time for a hyperextended knee.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers have the rights to Bryant thru 2018 and he's cheap, I don't expect Bryant to receive a second contract from the Steelers he can't be trusted.

25. Diamond

May 26, 2012

Depending on the severity of a hyper extended knee the healing time period fluxuates, but since no surgery is required the healing process can take from 2 to 4 weeks to several months: from Wiki:sports surgeons considers a blown out knee to be an injury to the anterior cruciate ligament, medial collateral ligament, and the medial meniscus. So, Bells 2 knee injuries wouldn't be considered a blown out knee under any medical scenario......