1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I got a feeling we are the Giants opponent in the fist game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ravenhater, Feb 6, 2012.

1. ravenhater

ravenhater Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    NY Giants home opponents are :

Cowboys, Redskins, Eagles, Saints, Bucs, Packers, Steelers, or Browns.

Division game not likely. Packers and Saints just played the first game this year so they are not likely. Who do you think the NFL is going to pick between us, Browns and TB,

I think it is a lock that we are playing the first game of the year.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Re: I got a feeling we are the Giants opponent in the fist g

Why not a division game? We opened against the Ravens. I doubt it's us, I'd make that a Monday night game a little later into the season.

3. SteelCityDynasty

SteelCityDynasty Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011

Sounds great to me! Let's get this ship righted and start the defending champs off 0-1! Glad they took out the Pats though!

4. bigplaywillygay

bigplaywillygay Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I thought the First game of the season is Current SB winner vs Previous Super bowl winner.

5. BigSteel

BigSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

Nope and it's always a conference game so it won't be us on Thursday night

6. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I don't care as long as WE win.

7. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012

Agreed, and maybe they will bring Rooney Mara to do a celebrity coin flip. :)

8. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Bring them on...they don't want a healthy steelers team

9. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

That doesn't bother me in the least. Remember, the Giants snuck into the plaloffs with a 9-7 record, 1 game over .500, and there secondary is very good, the only thing they have on defense is a front seven full of pass rushers. Eli doesn't scare me on offense, the running game does, especially the way the Steelers run defense looked this season, I'm sorry to say it but a big reason we had the number one pass defense is because most teams could run against us and look how many 100+ yard rushers we gave up, not a ton but more that most of us had ever saw. But thats it, I'd rather play the Giants the first game instead of the Ravens.

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011

I remember the last time we played. Greg Warren got hurt and James Harrison did the long snap over the punter's head I think it was Mitch Berger, that pretty much cost them that game.

11. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

I'd love to open the season against the Giants. Prime time Thursday night game against the champs, new OC, new system, new plays, 30+ points. What's not to like?!

12. So Cal Steeler

So Cal Steeler Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I don't want to sound like Rex Ryan, but a mostly healthy Steelers team would have beat the Giants.

13. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Why is it always a conference game? While this may have been the case, I don't see why it has to be. The NFL wants to start off with a good game. Though I wouldn't be surprised for it to be TB, only because that puts the SB Champs with a win. Didn't we play Miami in 2006? With CB starting due to Ben's appendix. Miami sucked.

14. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

yeah, is it required that it be a conference game, or has it just kind of worked out that way?

out of all of the possible options, i would think the nfl would want to get a marquee matchup in there.

then again, after the long off-season layoff, people will tune into anything nfl so i guess it would make sense to save a giants/steelers matchup for a primetime game later in the season to drive ratings up when needed (as someone else pointed out).

15. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011

In a tight black leather jumpsuit.

:yahoo:

16. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011

Peter King believes it will be the Packers or Saints.

17. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011

Hey - if we have to play a Thursday game - it may as well be the first of the season when they're not coming off of a game 3 days earlier.

18. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011

Hey - if we have to play a Thursday game - it may as well be the first of the season when they're not coming off of a game 3 days earlier.

19. RBloodworth

RBloodworth Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I'd be shocked if the opening night game ISN'T Giants vs Pac

In the 8 years that the NFL has had the Thursday night opener, they have had only one inter-conference match-up (Colts-Saints in 2007) and one divisional game (Giants-Redskins in '08). The league seems to traditionally favor an inter-divisional conference match-up for this game, particularly one with marquee players and past history between the teams (Brees vs. Favre in 2010 comes to mind). I just can't see the NFL passing up a game between the last two Super Bowl champions, especially with the Giants having ended the Packers' season at home last year. If not the Packers, the NFL would probably consider the Saints rather than us.

20. ravenhater

ravenhater Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Re: I'd be shocked if the opening night game ISN'T Giants vs

That is a good point. I was just thinking that the NFL would not put the same team on the opener 2 years in a row so that would be why the Packers and Saints would be out.

21. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I'm inclined to agree with the OP. While I wouldn't call it certain, I feel our chances are much higher than 1 in 8. Maybe 50/50.

Division games are... well, maybe not "boring," but we see them all the time. Twice per year. I think they like to shake it up for the opener. Yes, we opened up against Baltimore this year, but we weren't the Thursday night opener after winning the Super Bowl. That's different. The last time we were in the Giants' shoes, we opened against the Titans.

Saints and Packers just did it last year. That leaves us or the Browns (snore) in the AFC, and for those of you saying it has to be an NFC team not in the division, that leaves the Bucs (snore), unless you think they will repeat a team from last year.

We are tough competition who got booted in humiliating fashion prematurely. We will be a good story. I think it's very possible. It's what I would schedule.

If we do get it, I'll be glad. It's like getting a free bye for week 2.

22. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Bring on the Giants! I think a healthy Steelers team will do well. We just need to draft that burly guard...