1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Zach Mettenberger

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by chitown steeler3, May 16, 2016.

1. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
  2. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Normally I am not a chase after every guy that has been cut but this one has me at least intrigued. Younger guy, plenty of upside, similar style to Ben. Wonder if the Steelers would be interested in bringing him in to compete for the back up job, or even 3rd QB with Landry Jones.

3. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I agree; Mattenberger is an upgrade over Grads. Hope we can pull it off.

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

I'll take jones over this guy anyday, we have 4 QBs for camp so leave it at that....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I would love the signing, I think this is a very good spot for him. He is not the starter and could learn from one of the best. This is what we do we grab qb's off the scrap heap and catch lightning in a bottle. We had very good luck with Batch and made Lefty look like his old self when nobody wanted him. JMO I would like to see it.........

6. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Mettenberger has a little more experience and slightly better numbers with a terrible, terrible team. He's bigger and stronger and I think would be a good backup for us. I'd take him over Jones and Grad any day.

7. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    How is he better than Dustin Vaughan? Zach Mettenberger is 0-10 as a starter, 12 TDs vs 14 interceptions. C'mon, man. Watching the waiver wire and churning the roster is no way to run a team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Do you remember how he played against us a few years ago? With a better roster around him, he'll play just as well as he played that day against us or possibly better. He's a decent backup. Better then Grads.

9. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Watching the waiver wire and picking up guys to better your roster is actually how the Steelers have done things to upgrade the bottom of the roster.
    See A. Blake, B. McCain, R. Cockrell. Those are off the top of my head. Now while these guys weren't probowlers they all did contribute at some point.

I don't see how you couldn't think a little positive about a guy that has some starts (with a team that had very little talent) that if claimed on the waiver wire would still be on his rookie contract. (which I believe is under the vet minimum). As I said in my original post, worst case he's a camp body. Best case he pushes Grad and Jones a little and possibly beats one out for a "BACKUP JOB". Even if you cut him in camp you lose nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He would be worth a look, young with a strong arm. I think the Steelers would get outbid though.

11. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    He wouldn't make it to the Steelers in a waiver claim. He would be a great fit for the Colts, who lose Andrew Luck to injury every year. The Browns seem to collect quarterbacks. Denver would love to have him I'm sure, but he won't make it that far down the list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I like this move if we can pull it off. Yes, he is similar to Ben in style...so therefore, we wouldn't have to change offense if big Ben goes down.Get rid of Landry and gradkowski. Hopefully, one of the young guns coming into camp can fill the 3rd spot

13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Honestly,
    it wouldn't be a bad move. just don't see it happening. I mean we passed on Marino and traded Unitas hahahahaha

14. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I'd be ok with bringing him in for sure.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Another berger couldn't hurt...

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Not saying it should or shouldn't happen. I just think the Steelers feel they are set with Grad and Jones.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I didn't like him at all as a prospect coming out of LSU. I thought his success was more due to Beckham and Landry than to his own performance. However, I saw something in him when I watched him at the NFL level. Not enough to ever see him as a starter, but enough to wonder if he can be developed as a backup. I wouldn't mind putting in a waiver claim, though I agree with those who think he will be claimed by someone earlier than our spot. Someone's going to give him a camp shot.

18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    If Landry Jones started 10 games for the Titans he would be 0-12 ! He's is bigger, stronger, and better than Jones or Grad. How many interception do you think Jones would have if he played 10 games for the Titans?

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  19. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    The answer is all. All the interceptions.

• Like Like x 2
  20. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Would Primanti's make a Mettenberger?

(If I butchered the name of the sandwich joint, it's because I'm from Boston)

21. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    If they did, it wouldn't be as good as the other one. ;)

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    He could do well here. Don't know what cap implications would be.

Though thinking about it, Dustin Vaughn is my new favourite player, so on that grounds I'd object.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The Gradkowski?

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Whats odd the Titans tried to trade Mettenberger before they waived him but no team would even trade a 7th round pick for him, the knock on him is he has a good arm but isn't athletic at all, so who do they replace him with at back up, Matt Cassel, who isnt exactly much better than what they had in mettenberger but then again look who they have for a head coach, mike mularkey probably one of the worst coaches in the league........

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't think jones is going anywhere. grad either. they know the personnel and the system. the new kid may make the practice squad to keep around if he shows anything. remember grad beat us too when he was with oakland. we make bad qb's look better than they are all the time. i want jones learning in preseason since we have an investment in him. i don't remember too many complaining when he stepped in and won a game for us. :cool: