1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Mike Adams Released

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Boomer, May 5, 2016.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Even the mighty-drafting Ravens have their early round misses. How about Sergio Kindle, Matt Elam and Arthur Brown?

2. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016

That Sergio Kindle one was hilarious. I remember how the analyst were all over their jock about him. lmfao!! Arthur Brown too.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dang it, Thorn, now I will have that in my head all day...

puppymonkeybaby puppymonkeybaby puppymonkeybaby

@BigBunch, what exactly was against the rules???

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    We're not stupid for taking Adams after he slipped down the draft board over character concerns. He just didn't pan out at the pro level. It is what it is. He never displayed any character issues during his time in the Burgh.

Other athletes have slipped in the draft as a result of character issues and some have wound up in the HOF (Randy Moss comes to mind). Dez Bryant slipped and he's been a superstar. Aqib Talib had failed drug tests and slid as well.

It's pretty short-sighted, in today's culture of marijuana use among athletes, to blame a GM/Coach for taking a guy whose draft stock slid due to a failed drug test. Hell, I'd love to re-visit some of our message boards from that draft and see what we had to say about that pick at the time. "Great value pick! The Rooneys won't put up with that drug use! We got a first-round talent in the second round merely due to a failed drug test! Great job Colbert! Great job Cowher! (Tomlin only made the pick because that's what Cowher would have done)" Probably a lot of that, I would imagine.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    I liked Adams. He never panned out as a LT and he couldn't beat Gilbert for RT. It is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    This was one of them. Adams arrived with "FAILURE" tattooed across his forehead.

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    What did you like about Adams play? He always played soft and slow..;)

8. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I`m not surprised he was released, but it`s a shame it didn`t pan out...

That Buckeye wanted to be a Steeler, with all his heart.

He went out of his way, to schedule a meeting with the front office, before the draft, and make his case, why they should pick him/ how he would put his past issues in the past...

He put plenty of positive tape out on film, while he played at OSU...

Didn`t seem like most talking heads were questioning his pass blocking skills in college, that got exposed at the pro level...

Not that he ever distinguished himself as a pro, on the field, but I can`t help but wonder if he would have improved, without the injuries...

I believe he was stabbed in the abdomen, in a late night altercation in the Burgh, if I remember correctly...

After that, he had some kind of "back issues"...

And never really had a chance to improve from his first year or two..

Oh well, it is what it is... I`m glad they gave him a chance at the time, and I think it`s a shame it didn`t work out.

Luckily, our O-line seems much improved from when he was drafted!

GO STEELERS!

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We pretty much passed on Dan Marino for the same thing. That was also a bad move. What were they thinking? Just saying.....

• Like Like x 1
  10. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm neither surprised nor sad.

11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Talib's issues have carried to the pros though. I can totally understand teams passing on guys that have some serious concerns. We've taken some really crappy people in the Tomlin years. Rainey and Ta-Amu are probably the worst. At least as far as the draft is concerned. I'm against smoking pot but my concern with Adams is just that he was stupid and done it when he knew he would be tested. The same goes for Bryant. If pot actually is addictive you have a greater chance of curing pot addiction than you do stupidity.

12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Well that sucks. Hate to see them whiff on a draft pick, doubly so for an early round pick.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    only DD left from 2012 draft. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not as bad as Jamain Stephens but still a lousy pick. Those happen sometimes.

15. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I thought Adams played really well at RT as a rookie. The problem was that Gilbert failed miserably at LT the following summer at Latrobe so the Steelers were stuck with two RT-only prospects. They tried Adams afterwards at LT and he stunk.

I thought it was a good pick at the time and also thought he'd be our future RT (anyone else remember how badly Gilbert played early?). Gilbert really took to Munch's coaching and the rest is history.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. swann_88

swann_88 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    he started slow
    then by the time he started getting it Beachum and Gilbert were clearly ahead of him
    then the back injury and the stabbing
    apparently he failed because he still has back issues
    more of a things just didn't work out then a wasted pick really

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    This is the **** that angers me... Adams is soft?! Adams is the guy who fought three men armed with knives trying to rob him. Hahaha.

Keyboard warriors.

I saw Adams run to defend teammates in scrums and play to the whistle. His effort was there.

Slow? Fine. Soft? Go tell him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Dan Marino drug/alcohol was a rumor...Adams actually popped a drug test at the combine. His talent wasn't that great to go in the second rd. He said that he would play for bare minimum . I can go on and on ...on how obvious of a bad pick this was

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    There goes the Franchise...

20. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    That's how I see it too. Mike Adams was perceived as being capable of assuming the LT spot but he couldn't.

And you can count the number of RT that could beat out Gilbert on one hand with how he is currently playing.

I don't know why so many ex-Steelers get so much hate now... other than Blake. I get that haha.

21. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree. At the time I didn't hate the pick although I was hoping for defense. I'm pretty sure the majority of this board at the time of the pick shared this exact sentiment you posted.

22. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Don't matter osmele would've still left for greener bank accounts as he did in the same fashion.

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I liked the Adams pick at the time. He came in with talent to mold. He just never improved. Oh well.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Second rd stoner OSU BUST.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/05/steelers-value-jerald-hawkins-familiarity-pro-offense/

now they get a guy with familiarity of a pro style offense. this was my concern then with adams. i wanted to think he would get better but i said it then that he came from a running qb style offense and his pass protection was just not up to pro standards. i said the same thing about gilbert. it's taken gilbert years to get to where he is and a good coach. he still needs to get better in pass protection even now but has improved. it all starts with players fitting what they do now instead of what they did then for me. gay is a good example of a guy that played in a similar defense to ours in college and he was able to see the field much earlier than most because of it. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1