1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me understand the Billings hype.

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Fugitive60, Apr 25, 2016.

1. britishsteel

britishsteel Active Member

Apr 24, 2016
    I love the idea of Billings in Black and Gold grinding Dalton's face into the dirt multiple times :p

• Like Like x 2
  2. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Billings could be there in round 2.

AShawn Robinson, Jarran Reed and Chris Jones could all be drafted high as well.

Lots of DL depth.

Would the Steelers draft another 3-4 DE high though with two firmly entrenched starters?

Billings seems more of a 1 gap player is he not? He gets great penetration and is more or less unblockable.

3. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I'm thinking that AShawn Robinson will definitely be there when we are on the clock.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Any of those guys could be great value picks in the 2nd. I see Billings as a 2 gap zero tech predominantly, but there are some who think he's a Swiss Army knife.

5. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    OK so he can play 2 gap.

Robinson only put up 22 bench reps though which I imagine is a stamina issue more than a power issue. That's really bad for a 315+ pound man.

6. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    true, kinda embarrassing. But the Steeler weight room is legendary for making a boy a man.

7. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    I saw that A'Shawn said he can bench 525 lbs so it is possible he just gets gassed easily which is its own problem.

Remember when Hampton said he didn't want to come off the field because it was too much effort to run to the sideline? Ahahaha I miss Big Snack.

AShawn reminds me of Ngata in his size and movement.

8. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Don't play with my emotions Morris.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    They are going to draft a safety. Not sure what other evidence you need.

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think you're right that well take a safety tonight, but I don't think it's a lock that safety is our 2nd round pick. I think a falling DT, DE or edge guy with a higher grade on our board could defer safety to the 3rd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I would rather Killebrew or Simmons in round 3 than Thompson in round 2.

Interior DL was considered the strongest and deepest position in this draft. If one of the big boys are still there in round 2 could be awfully tempting.

12. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I hear ya, but those D-lineman are sooooo tempting that Colbert may not be able to resist.

13. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Spence will not get past the deadcows; so we can take him off the list.

14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    If we're truly shifting to mostly Cover 2, then I agree on Simmons, and would not wait until the 3rd. He's an ideal fit for 2 deep work IMO. If we are going to do more Cover 3, I really like Thompson as a guy who can play up near the line in Cover 3, or deep in Cover 2. In my view, a shift to Cover 2 would be great for maximizing Burns' early impact.

15. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Won't there be good safties in the third round? Because the talent I see in the D-lineman is too much to pass on. Especially considering we need the depth as well as increased pass rush.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    The Steelers D was great with Hampton because it forced teams to be one dimensional.

Sure the NT might only be on the field for 2 downs but that's fine if 3rd downs are 3 and 7 or longer consistently.