1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our 100 million dollar QB and the future.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Feb 4, 2012.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What changes would you like to see or think we might get from him this coming season?

I'm not generally the type to point out someone's weakness' at their job (unless they totally suck) especially if they are if they are pretty good at it. But, I want to know why Ben is never mentioned with the Breeze, Manning and Brady crowd when it comes to being a film room rat or student of the game.

This is something I would like to see change with the new OC. Shoot, if I was getting that kind of money for a short career (and also felt I needed to mend some fences with my organization) I'd like to think, I would work a little harder than just being a good team mate. That's all I have heard about him since his BS antics.

*The dude is fat. - get in shape for cryin out loud. We all know getting older & married isn't a recipe for fitness. Tighten up bro.
    *Throws a lot of picks - New offensive scheme, so-so arm and iffy rep. Pitch a tent in the film room buddy, you can't run forever.
    *I hope he doesn't ride Motorcycles anymore. - I have to wear a helmet for my job, but not when I'm on 2 wheels. Real smart!
    *Meat Head - Please, just try and string two off-seasons in a row without negative media attention. This can't be hard.
    :frustrated:
    :thumbs_up: :yeehaw:

2. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    So, has Ben had his much anticipated sit down with Art II yet?

3. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Agree with everything here. There's seems to be something missing from getting him to the next level, like coaching for example. Perhaps it's a combination of all you list. Might have some more growing up to do too, even though he's pushing 30 and married now.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Don't agree that the "get in shape" part is all that crucial. He still has all of the mobility that he needs, and the layer of flab may be protecting him a bit on some of those hits. I'm not sure that getting ripped will do much for him. With Ben, it's all mental. I'd rather see him spend extra time in the film room than doing P90x. I think his physical conditioning is adequate. His mental conditioning is questionable.

Also, anyone who says that he has an iffy arm... seriously? His arm is very strong. He throws the 20+ yard ropes into the seam with plenty of zip. His problem is accuracy with the deep ball, not arm strength.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ben does have a hard time with accuracy sometimes. putting the ball in a spot to allow his receivers to keep in stride. getting it there on a rope and putting it in a spot with a guy on the move is two different things. our guys usually have to make the catch then try to manuver for extra yards. back shoulder catches and such. the open wheel routes he missed in the last game show this. not having to make your receivers break stride has never been a real strong suite in bens game on a consistant basis. :cool:

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd like to see him shed some weight, he looks slow to me now.
    Last year he had a lot of picks for some reason, the year before he was among QB's with the least amount of interceptions. Not sure why the spike, hopefully an aberration.
    The last 2 on the list are thing of the past, doesn't concern me, it's obvious to me he has turned the corner on such things.

Overall I am fine with Bens play, for years it was BA's fault around here, now we get to see if that's true.

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This past year, Ben had his least number of rushing attempts per game as well as his least number of rushing yards per game. Is it due to his increasing weight? Who knows, but just watching him every week, he looked slower than ever this past year. He didn't scramble this year like he used to. Yes, his ankle was bad for a while, but that wasn't until later in the season. Even early in the season, he looked very slow. Regardless of whether that's the reason he isn't rushing as much as past years, there's no denying that being in shape can only help you. He's an athlete, he really should try to stay in shape.

8. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I have always wondered about the mental side of Ben's game. That sure is not his strength, and plays directly into all the comments about viewing film and taking coaching - maybe he has trouble learning and retaining stuff. If you look at the way he plays now and the way he played as a rookie, I am not sure I see much progression in the thoughtful, mental side of his game. Backyard football. He still throws dumb balls, has trouble reading blitzes, does not throw the ball away, and makes poor decisions in crucial situations (e.g., taking sacks that move them out of FG range). Bradshaw was always accused of being "dumb" - maybe the same accusation is true of Ben? I love his competitive fire, confidence, toughness, and physical abilities, but not sure he is the complete package.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think all you need to know his the past 2 season Ben has had injuries hamper him at the end of key moments in the season.

He wasn't 100% against the Packers in last years SB.... he had a foot injury plague him all year. His high ankle sprain hurt us big time this year.

He needs to not let his team down by being hurt. It starts with changing his style of play so he doesn't take as many shots like Brady/Breeze/Manning.

10. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ben s fine get hIm some help and you all will see

11. theotherbigben

theotherbigben Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Maybe if he wasn't fat he wouldn't get injured as much. I'm starting to get the feeling it's gonna end ugly for Ben in Pittsburgh. Like a Favre kinda ugly.

12. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Ben's fat?

Compared to what, to 18 yr olds?

Shish...

13. BigBen7

BigBen7 Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    this is from last weekend at Pro Bowl....sorry I do not see Ben as being fat....
    [​IMG]

14. cutrale

cutrale Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Excuse me!!!! I think all of us " FANS " should kiss Ben"s boots and thank God that we have such a good quarterback. What do you people want? Bradshaw reincarnate? That will never happen. BEN is a fantastic quarterback. If he had a good offensive line he would probably be putting up numbers like we have never seen. Get real folks. If you can do any better, go out on the field and do it.

15. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    These last 4 points are old dude... the motorcycle thing was like 5 years ago...hes now married so no more bar hopping...he has one of the strongest arms in the league...and how the hell do u know how long or little he spends in the film room...get a grip

Espn Trent Dilfer Qb Rankings

Hall of Fame Level

This category is reserved for guys who are considered the current Mount Rushmore among NFL quarterbacks -- they have secured legacies through things already accomplished. The numbers, status among peers, Super Bowl rings and franchise-leader status are all there. Plus, you'll see in each case, losing is a rarity even in a league built for parity. Trajectory is not an issue.

Ben Roethlisberger (Steelers): This might turn heads, but Big Ben has reached this level. Two Super Bowls, an 80-33 regular-season record, and now putting up big numbers, too. And he's still on the right end of 30

16. Ronak

Ronak Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben's fat? Really? You guys must be bored.

17. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    First of all, maybe try to comment on the first question. He is god all mighty. Second read the tirle of the thread.

100 mill dollar man?

For an athlete, yes, he's fat. Compairing him to you and me is a stupid reply. Yes I expect more. He isn't a rookie. Time to play smarter, not harder. I'll stop assuming he spends 100 million dollar time in the film room when I hear that he actually does. Until then im going to assume he spends enough to not get critisized or praised. Yes, his arm shows flashes of greatness and many crappy throws also. That's why the constant debate about elite status. But his long throws arelittle more than hail mary's.

All that being said as far as our QB and being on the team, I love him and what he brings. We were medicre until hebgot he here and going no where else. But, I think he's capable of more. For the money, he could do a bit better. Get fit and spend more time in the film room. I guess that's asking the world.

Some peple are sheep....

18. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Get fit he is a bigger dude and always has been. BIG ben is a great qb and could put up the huge numbers if he had time to. He proved in the new england game that he can do the dink and dunk stuff. Now back to the fat thing im sorry i dont see it

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben needs a an OC that will make him study, Work on his decision making,
    work on his mechanics and knows something about the run game.
    If we find an OC that will do this, Ben will see his numbers improve dramatically
    and the Steelers will be a playoff caliber team and Ben's stats will be impressive.

20. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes, I will agree with your first two statements. Yes I think that he is a little heavy and needs to get in shape and stay in shape. God knows he has been payed enough money to be in shape. He needs to drop a few pounds.

As most of us know or should know he has never been a film guy like Payton Manning or Brady. At this point in his career, he needs to stay in the film room and get it right. He should be more motivated now to want to win a couple more Super Bowls and be the MVP of the game and cement his status as a first ballot HOF. He has the talent to do it but its up to him. If he can't get it right with a new OC, then it might be time to cut ties with him while he is still worth something.

One thing for sure, we will be able to tell if it was Bruce Arians or him.

Because he is married, that is a receipt for laziness and getting fat, but I think his partying ways are over. I don't think we will see anymore trouble like that from him.

If I were Tomlin and/or Mr. Rooney, I would sit him down and tell him what he needs to do and that is to lead this organization to the Super Bowl multible times. In doing that, he needs to get in shape and tweek his game, get in the film room, and do what he has been payed to do because he is a professional. He will be thirty (30) this year and has been hurt a lot. Now is the time because he is not getting younger. The next two years are of monumental importance to his career. If he does not adapt to the new OC and blows it this up coming season, then the Steelers need to shift their thinking and go in another direction. Don't waste time because they will get nothing for him.

THE BALL IS IN HIS COURT, (WHAT ARE YOU GONING TO DO, "DRIBBLE OR SHOOT")!!!!!!

21. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm with you. The weight thing was brought up on here several times through the season and I just don't see it. While the guy could shed a few pounds he looks nothing like the REALLY fat Ben that showed up for camp a few years ago. Since then I think he's done a decent job of keeping the weight off which definitely isn't easy with a frame that size ;)

22. fdresq4

fdresq4 Active Member

Oct 16, 2011

Thank you and...

23. fdresq4

fdresq4 Active Member

Oct 16, 2011

Thank you!

24. Ronak

Ronak Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just a note for those of you who think it's realistic to expect the team to win the superbowl every season for 37 straight seasons:

We're still a playoff-caliber team, and will be for a long time to come. Why have the Steelers been the most successful franchise in sport for multiple decades? Because they don't panic, knee-jerk, and make wholesale changes every single season they don't win it all.

We're a spoiled fan-base.

That being said, sure some tweaks could help. I'm confident the team will make the right decisions, as it has for decades.

25. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

Where do u get all of your inside information from that you know how much time Ben spends in the film room compared to other qbs...please I'd like to know?